Best DIY safety glasses for cycling

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi
A lot of cyclists are now buying cycling glasses from shops like Screwfit, Builders Merchants as they are fairly good and are way cheaper than anything cycling related. Does anyone have any which are any good? I bought some antifog hse glasses which were just streamed with dampness when they got steamy which made them lethal to wear on the road.
Any ideas please? 8)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited January 2018
    Bolle Contour safety glasses, between £5 and £10 on Ebay. Come in clear, tinted and ESP (light tint). Metal or plastic frames.

I lose and break glasses regularly. At the price they are almost disposable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The above glasses can be bought from Screwfix for around £10. I have about 5 pairs and as previous poster stated it is not a great issue if they get damaged. I also like the Bolle Rush+ glasses - very light and come in various lens colours, again at Screwfix for £10.
  • Are any of these cheap screwfix glasses offering U/V protection? If not then what’s the point? You wear them not just to stop dirt getting in your eyes but from damaging rays. Maybe cos the weather isn’t brilliant right now it’s not in your mind but even a sunny winters day can have high U/V levels.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    I have used the bolle safety glasses for work and cycling,and was fairly certain they have uv protection, and a quick check of screwfix confirms UV on the 3 or 4 in the £10 ball park figure I looked at ,all have UV and some IR and UV ..
    That said i personally now use Uvex reactive as i now trust myself to not loose or break them :)
  • I get mine "free" from work!
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    You can get non DIY Ones in Decathlon for under £4 in clear, yellow and dark offering UV protection if you want it.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I find the Uvex ones the best I've tried. The clarity of the lenses seem better than any of the Bolle ones. Uvex I-works silver mirror are great in winter and work brilliantly in the rain. Again the Bolle ones were unusable in rain.
    Most safety glasses (even clear ones) are Uv-400.
    One thing I've noticed about safety glasses, is they seem to slip down the nose more than cycling glasses as they rarely have silicone grips on the nose piece. I've put silicone grips on the arms (ebay) which solve the problem.
  • cooldad
    The Contour have nose grips and rubber on the temples. 99.9% UV protection. And even look like styly cycling glasses.

s-l1600.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I've used safety specs for years.

(I also use motoring websites for grease and other consumables, just check the use/specification)
  • jerry3571 wrote:
    Hi
    A lot of cyclists are now buying cycling glasses from shops like Screwfit, Builders Merchants

I know some cyclists are cheapskates, but this is bolleaux
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Are any of these cheap screwfix glasses offering U/V protection? If not then what’s the point? You wear them not just to stop dirt getting in your eyes but from damaging rays. Maybe cos the weather isn’t brilliant right now it’s not in your mind but even a sunny winters day can have high U/V levels.

Aslong as the lenses are made from polycarbonate then they will filter UV as the material natural does.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've been using the Bolle Contour ESP ones for years. £7 a pair last time I bought them off Ebay.

All the UV protection you could ever need plus the reassurance that should a passing vehicle throw a stone at your face it's unlikely to go straight in your eye.

Sadly my eyesight has now deteriorated so far I'm having to consider other, potentially more costly options.
  • cooldad
    Cheapest seller on Ebay, genuine - I've bought a load of pairs, and quick postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLLE-SAFETY ... 3011233779?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLLE-SAFETY ... 3011234944?

Have to be worth a punt for a fiver.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another Bolle Contour user here, gone back to the clear ones over my Oakley Flak Jackets as they cover more of my eyes and in recent days with my Oakleys I've had tears in my eyes but not with the Bolles. I do need to buy some spares as I only found the one pair but sods law say as soon as I buy more I'll find a spare pair.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Just had a pair of Bolle Contour's posted to me. First impressions are very good. I paid £7 with free P&P off e-bay.
  • I have a pair of Rudy Project Tralyx.

They’re expensive

But they look cool so that’s more important!
  • cooldad
    I have a pair of Rudy Project Tralyx.

They’re expensive

And you wear lycra.

99.999999999959476499999992999999999999% of the world still thinks you look like a d1ck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

They’re expensive

And you wear lycra.

99.999999999959476499999992999999999999% of the world still thinks you look like a d1ck.

I’d suggest it’s better to look like a dick than come out with stupid comments that just confirms that you are!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    cooldad wrote:

They’re expensive

And you wear lycra.

I’d suggest it’s better to look like a dick than come out with stupid comments that just confirms that you are!

Oh dear a tad sensitive? I suspect the comment was intended to be funny. Sense of humour by-pass for Xmas?
  • navrig2
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Hi
    A lot of cyclists are now buying cycling glasses from shops like Screwfit, Builders Merchants

I know some cyclists are cheapskates, but this is bolleaux

No sure if you are being serious SS but our local industrial supplies place does H&S glasses for a few quid plus VAT. Only in clear but perfectly adequate for dirty weather cycling or night cycling. Probably better than some of the Joakleys sold on EBay.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

They’re expensive

And you wear lycra.

Oh dear a tad sensitive? I suspect the comment was intended to be funny. Sense of humour by-pass for Xmas?

It’s called banter. If you’re willing to dish it out, be prepared to take it back. Everyone automatically assumes people lack a SOH if they have a retort. Think you need to get a grip. This isn’t a Daily Mail feed.
  • navrig2
    Navrig2 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

They’re expensive

And you wear lycra.

It’s called banter. If you’re willing to dish it out, be prepared to take it back. Everyone automatically assumes people lack a SOH if they have a retort. Think you need to get a grip. This isn’t a Daily Mail feed.

I got the first comment as banter, not sure about yours tho'

and I have a grip. Every morning and every night :lol:
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

They’re expensive

And you wear lycra.

I got the first comment as banter, not sure about yours tho'

and I have a grip. Every morning and every night :lol:

I never thought that would be in doubt.
  • cooldad
    I didn't take it personally. Just figured he was channelling Trump.

"I'm bigly rich and look at all my expensive glitz."
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    After ordering 2 pairs off Ebay on Thursday I broke the pair of Contours I was using so popped to my local Screwfix to buy a pair till the Ebay pairs arrive but they didn't have any Contours in stock, only Siliums which are clear lenses but with metal frames/arms which are easier to adjust to suit my head/face and obviously a little bit heavier. I've kept the broken Contour for the lenses just in case.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jerry3571
    cooldad wrote:
    The Contour have nose grips and rubber on the temples. 99.9% UV protection. And even look like styly cycling glasses.

s-l1600.jpg

Ooh, I just bought these and theyre very good. 6c they didn't fog up at all on the lumpy bits so quite good for a Tenner. Lenses are clear enough to see. The flexible rubber (Temples?? technical gubbins) arms grip your head gently. Brilliant glasses. So glad of these type of glasses as years ago cycling glasses were a rip off. Spent a fortune on Rudy, Bolle, Briko and others. Best glasses were the Bolle Egde modelled by Miguel Indurain with the foam over the brow which stops sweat from getting in your eyes in hot weather. Big glasses too :)

new-bolle-edge-chrono-80-s-vintage-sportsglasses-sunglasses-cycling-ski-glasses-93a9f1408f5e5426977e1a5e3f725b17.jpg

http://www.bolle-safety.com/uploads/tec ... 857322.pdf
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • cooldad
    Yeah, I meant ears not temples but couldn't be arsed to edit my post.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Broken link fix.

new-bolle-edge-chrono-80-s-vintage-sportsglasses-sunglasses-cycling-ski-glasses-93a9f1408f5e5426977e1a5e3f725b17.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jerry3571
    cooldad wrote:
    Broken link fix.

Cheers Mdears :D

-Jacques Anquetil
  • I am retiring a couple of pairs of my Oakleys (Fast Jacket XL and Radarlock XL) and have invested in a pair of Bolle's (Rush+)

Firstly to make me feel young again as I had a pair of Micro Edge back in the early 90's... I wore them on a cord to look fully Gianni Bugno.

Secondly they are cheap so if I don't get on with them I won't have spent too much of my budget!