Preparing for the mountains.

nicleza
nicleza Posts: 30
Hey girls and boys.

In a month I will move to a country with lots of mountains and the city I will live in is surrounded by high mountains and volcanos. I live in a flat area and have zero experience of climbing (only been riding since July) except some shorter not so steep hills and the climbs in Zwift.
I know its a short time to prepare but its better to have one month of preparation than none I think. How should I train? Try to raise my FTP? Just smashing upwards in Zwift? The climate in my country is not made for cycling year round s unfortunately I cant ride outdoors often but I have a trainer and Zwift. I weigh 52 kilos and seem to be a decent climber in the short climbs around according to strava and group rides sprints but I want to be as good as possible and want to make the very looong and super steep climbs as "easy" as I can.

Please help me get rid of the nightmares about the mountains!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You're moving there in a month. You don't need to 'train' to move to another area. Just wait till you get there and go riding...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh you'll be fine at 52kg. Don't sweat it.

Maybe think about getting a bigger cassette on the bike if you're used to flat roads - but you can sort that when you're there.

Are you moving to Watopia ?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    If you can ride a bike for an hour or two, you'll get up most big mountains. Most of the roads in mountainous areas tend to be reasonably benign gradient-wise, for the most part, and there's no skill needed, other than remembering to keep the pedals turning for long enough to get to the top. I'd say that the hills of Dartmoor & Exmoor present much more of a challenge than the Alps, on the whole, not least because it's impossible to replicate their unrelenting unpredictability, and the impossibility of getting into any sort of rhythm & effort level.
  • nicleza
    Imposter wrote:
    You're moving there in a month. You don't need to 'train' to move to another area. Just wait till you get there and go riding...
    Sure it can wait, but why not begin now? :)
    Fenix wrote:
    Oh you'll be fine at 52kg. Don't sweat it.

Maybe think about getting a bigger cassette on the bike if you're used to flat roads - but you can sort that when you're there.

Are you moving to Watopia ?

I've been thinking about that, I like high cadence even on the climbs. I will wait and see if I need it and save the weight of an extra cassette on the flight.

No, maybe in the future :). Guatemala it is, to bad you cant ride inside the volcanos there ;D
  • Long climbs are a bit of a mental game as well as the physical effort. Going so slowly yet still putting out an even paced effort with no breaks gives you lots of time to think about how you're not going to make it to the top. It's all about pacing and choosing the correct gearing. The only way to really get better at riding long climbs is to ride long climbs.

You've got a month, don't sweat it, just plan to enjoy the roads once you get there! :D
  • nicleza
    Long climbs are a bit of a mental game as well as the physical effort. Going so slowly yet still putting out an even paced effort with no breaks gives you lots of time to think about how you're not going to make it to the top. It's all about pacing and choosing the correct gearing. The only way to really get better at riding long climbs is to ride long climbs.

You've got a month, don't sweat it, just plan to enjoy the roads once you get there! :D

I agree with you and will try to think of a coffee stop, a cold soda/beer, the lovely view at the top and the fast downhill section after the summit if I get to weak in my mind. I wont give up, but maybe I will have to pay the price for that after the ride. It has happened before....

I will do some intervals and endurance rides on the trainer the next weeks and take on the mountains when I get there. As soon as I have acclimatized to the high altitude which is 2000 meter and the mountain passes 3000+. My bithplace and where I grew up is under sea level :).
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Nicleza wrote:
    My bithplace and where I grew up is under sea level :).

Are you a mermaid?
  • The Dead Sea is below sea level.
  • nicleza
    joe2008 wrote:
    Nicleza wrote:
    My bithplace and where I grew up is under sea level :).

Are you a mermaid?

The lack of oxygen would'nt be a problem if I was :lol:
  • Nicleza wrote:
    I will do some intervals and endurance rides on the trainer the next weeks and take on the mountains when I get there. As soon as I have acclimatized to the high altitude which is 2000 meter and the mountain passes 3000+. My bithplace and where I grew up is under sea level :).

Keep us posted with some photos when you get out there! :D
  • nicleza
    Nicleza wrote:

Keep us posted with some photos when you get out there! :D

I will do that :).
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Pedaling efficiently and learning to work different parts of your body while climbing to give yourself a bit of a break worked for me. I've done a fair few ultra distance MTB events and here you tend to climb for many hours. Riding mountain roads is somewhat easier as you just get in to a nice rhythm and work at a pace you can sustain for the required time. You'll probably find a club when you get there. Maybe go out with them and see
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just work on FTP type efforts and you'll be fine. At 52 Kg you should fly up hills.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • nicleza
    Svetty wrote:
    Just work on FTP type efforts and you'll be fine. At 52 Kg you should fly up hills.....

Last week I have been focusing on just climbing in zwift and one ftp booster training. I will continue with ftp boosting and just climbing. Ftp training feels good and climbing boosts my self asteem a lot.
    I want to fly up the mountains as fast as a pilgrim falcon dives :).

I just want to be as prepared as I can be. There is possibilities for me to go on group rides with locals semi pros and I want to follow them as long as possible.
  • pitters
    pitters Posts: 12
    It’s hours in the saddle that count not the incline
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Pitters wrote:
    It’s hours in the saddle that count not the incline

It’s both. Think KWh.