Salsa Cutthroat

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
edited June 2019 in Your road bikes
Well, good things come to those that wait...

25502167398_1001798641_b.jpgSalsa Cutthroat by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr

A 2018 Salsa Cutthroat, been on order since August, and nearly didn't arrive following Raleigh's dropping of Salsa (official importers) so that they could concentrate on their own niche brand of crap bikes.

My local dealer came good though, and managed to track down the frame you see above - currently only have what you see, bottom bracket and headset are Hope items. Stem and seat-post are from Thompson, bars are 46cm Salsa Cowchippers. Crank will be a Middleburn, that arrives next month, wheels will be Mavic Crossmax Pro 29er's and the groupset SRAM Force 1 x 11.

It's dropped bar so belongs in this forum, I think, although the purists will probably think otherwise...it should make for a very comfortable ride on the 2018 Dirty Reiver.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It’s a mountain bike though.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Hmmmm, expected that...yes it will accept a 100mm travel fork and will only accept a maximum 36 tooth chainring in single ring format, and it has clearance for 2.4” tyres, but, the geomatary differs from a mtn bike and is more inline with the current adventure bikes. It has dropped bars though, not many 29er’s would be rideable with drops. The boundaries are being pushed by the likes of Salsa, who dare make a frame such as this.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Following with interest. I love bikes that are a bit different and annoy purists :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I'll also follow this with interest, I like the idea of the bike. Salsa d omake some very interesting bikes. Not convinced of the colours, but that's purely personal preference. Just had a look at some more images of them and it looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy.
  • Matthewfalle
    Hmmmm, expected that...yes it will accept a 100mm travel fork and will only accept a maximum 36 tooth chainring in single ring format, and it has clearance for 2.4” tyres, but, the geomatary differs from a mtn bike and is more inline with the current adventure bikes. It has dropped bars though, not many 29er’s would be rideable with drops. The boundaries are being pushed by the likes of Salsa, who dare make a frame such as this.

Salsa describe it as a mountain bike.

Therefore it is a mountain bike,

Hmmmm, yes, I hope you expected that someone may call a mountain bike a mountain bike if it is a mountain bike.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • But it will take 700c 28mm road tyres! So it’s a road bike right? Or should I place the pic in the mtn bike forum?
  • Matthewfalle
    it’s a mountain bike.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Dont ya just love what rebels do in their spare time away from 9 to 5 job in accounts department of the local council having such rebellious thoughts and ambitions as they check invoices in pl.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • it’s a mountain bike.
    It’s a bike. Who cares? It looks interesting and fun.
  • Matthewfalle
    Dont ya just love what rebels do in their spare time away from 9 to 5 job in accounts department of the local council having such rebellious thoughts and ambitions as they check invoices in pl.

Eh?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Just enjoy it...ride it, and enjoy it.

I find matthewfalle posts on just about everything and it’s usually objectionable :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    Just enjoy it...ride it, and enjoy it.

I find matthewfalle posts on just about everything and it’s usually objectionable :roll:

Sorry you don’t like a differing opinion.

I must admit that I haven’t noticed many of your posts, probably because they are usually very dull.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Following with interest. I love bikes that are a bit different and annoy purists :D

Its a Mounting Bike. Why would it annoy 'purists'?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Maybe because it doesn't have internal cable runs, maybe because it doesn't say Bianchi, Pinarello or Colnago on the frame, maybe because a company such as Salsa looks at what a bike is supposed to represent and runs with it, maybe because bikes are meant to be fun instead of power-figures for your local Strava segment, maybe because a bike company dares to take the concept of a 'Mounting Bike' (your description, not mine) and revise that into a bike with dropped bars...maybe it's in the wrong forum?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Perfect Tour Divide bike! When are you going?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Perfect Tour Divide bike! When are you going?

Well, funny you should say that...
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    That looks mint. Looking forward to the updates.
  • Matthewfalle
    Following with interest. I love bikes that are a bit different and annoy purists :D

Maybe because it doesn't have internal cable runs, maybe because it doesn't say Bianchi, Pinarello or Colnago on the frame, maybe because a company such as Salsa looks at what a bike is supposed to represent and runs with it, maybe because bikes are meant to be fun instead of power-figures for your local Strava segment, maybe because a bike company dares to take the concept of a 'Mounting Bike' (your description, not mine) and revise that into a bike with dropped bars...maybe it's in the wrong forum?

its still a mountain bikethough.

and mountain bikes with drops aren't really that new though are they?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Finally got it together, the main bits, Mavic Carbon Crossmax, Middleburn Crank and ring, Force 1 groupset, Salsa Cowchipper 2 bars (46cm), Thompson stem and set-post.
    40727715851_db51bed5e8_b.jpgCutthroat 2 by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr

40727718361_9656f244bc_b.jpgCutthroat 1 by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Sweet - similar to the Niner RLT
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I like that, like it a lot. How does it ride?
  • That looks fun 8)
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Sweet - similar to the Niner RLT

Solboy10...big difference between this bike and the Niner.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I like that, like it a lot. How does it ride?

Very well thanks, surprisingly agile, and very comfortable...first proper ride next weekend up in Keilder.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Finally got it together, the main bits, Mavic Carbon Crossmax, Middleburn Crank and ring, Force 1 groupset, Salsa Cowchipper 2 bars (46cm), Thompson stem and set-post.
    40727715851_db51bed5e8_b.jpgCutthroat 2 by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr

40727718361_9656f244bc_b.jpgCutthroat 1 by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr
    I really like that. Good effort!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • @TheFD...cheers.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I'd love one of those. They look a whole load of fun
  • Cheshire Cat
    APIII wrote:
    I'd love one of those. They look a whole load of fun
    Cheers, yep, it is great fun, and has a surpring turn of speed on the tarmac.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    For dry summer riding on tarmac and non-extreme gnarr, that tyre clearance is begging for a pair of 2.35" G-Speed Evos setup tubeless. ;)

Nice bike! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Cheshire Cat
    For dry summer riding on tarmac and non-extreme gnarr, that tyre clearance is begging for a pair of 2.35" G-Speed Evos setup tubeless. ;)

Nice bike! :D

You mean like this :D, set-up for the forthcoming Mike Hall memorial ride, the TINAT 400km. Now includes a super comfy Specialized Power saddle.

27539803857_87e400668f_b.jpgTINAT 1 by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    They were quickly bought and fitted this afternoon. ;)

If I've just looked at the correct event, "The big one" cat2 out of Dolgellau (like Ugo did recently), but then followed by the south face of Bwlch y Groes cat2 from Dinas Mawddwy... Tasty! :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo