Where to live

2»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That's cheap for north Kingston, note the F on the EPC...
    Victorian house with solid brick walls, very difficult to improve thermal efficiency. When they first moved in they were battling condensation and we told them it was an issue with Victorian houses and they needed to improve ventilation rather than block everything up. They said they didn't have the problem in their previous house which was Victorian because it had cavity wall insulation. Pretty sure that wasn't a thing in Victorian times.
    There is one house down the road that has an insulating render on the side wall. They didn't put it on the front as it would ruin the look of the house.

Ours is also single brick so we have the same issue. Two neighbours have recently had external rendered insulation put up but they each chose to do first floor and roof gables only. Not asked them why they didn't do the ground floor, but my suspicion is that its quite brittle and would be prone to damage on the ground floor. We are probably going to have it done when redoing the loft conversion neccessitates rebuilding the gable end.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    TGOTB wrote:
    I used to rent a Victorian cottage in Richmond (The Alberts) that definitely had a cavity wall. I know, because the dodgy landlord had put in a bathroom extractor that vented into the cavity...
    Double :shock:
  • You only need get it up to E by 2018, without rendering I think you'd just tick off all the other options such as windows and heating systems. Else, they should have employed a brighter sales agent to hook them up with a more 'flexible' EPC assessor... That said, if the resi agent can't even work out Detached versus Semi i'm not surprised.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    London estate agents are a mixed bunch.

We've found one or two that are truly superb - which as a buyer is really annoying. I prefer the ones who just hold the keys to internet listings because they are easier to deal with and much less persistent.

Off to see something near Clapham North this weekend. Easy walk to the tube, outstanding schools, no renovation required, but the bike commute isn't really far enough for me.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    inbike wrote:

Off to see something near Clapham North this weekend. Easy walk to the tube, outstanding schools, no renovation required, but the bike commute isn't really far enough for me.

Easily solved.

Head south to Clapham Common, take the A3 to Wandsworth, turn off onto Putney Bridge road, come over Putney bridge, take NKR and then the racetrack into town. Or in the summer, you could divert even further and do a lap or 2 of Richmond Park before heading back into town.
  • inbike wrote:
    London estate agents are a mixed bunch.

We've found one or two that are truly superb - which as a buyer is really annoying. I prefer the ones who just hold the keys to internet listings because they are easier to deal with and much less persistent.

I can give you the details of some truly useless ones in SW London if you want...

My option (PM'd) not float your boat, no agent.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.