Where to live

inbike
inbike Posts: 264
edited January 2018 in Commuting chat
She who must be obeyed has decided we are going to move out of central London. :arrow:

I'm more or less ok with this plan if it means I can commute in by bike along a nice route.

10-15 miles should be ok - I was thinking of East Moseley or something like that, since Bushy Park/RP/Embankment is pretty fast.

Does anyone have recommendations of where to look?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Depends on budget, whether you have an eye on schools now or in the future, etc.

East Moseley is a nice area, but no idea what the schools are like.

Lower Sunbury is also nice: bit further out, but a nice feel to it.

Teddington/Hampton (both Hill and Wick) also good.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • inbike
    Yes, I'm looking for a good primary and secondary school - 1 child but the hope is that he grows up eventually.

The going rate for a three bed house in a good school area seems to basically be the same everywhere in London - the only difference is that in Central London you are lucky to get bike parking, in South London you get car parking, and in West London you get Boat Parking* :-)

Will take a look at the areas you suggest, cheers.

*Genuinely, really, not kidding. Wonder how often those boats get used?
  • cjcp
    For the purposes of a comparison, also have a look at Thames Ditton, Long Ditton, Hinchley Wood and North Kingston. Rightmove will give you details of the nearby schools and their Ofsted ratings.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    inbike wrote:
    *Genuinely, really, not kidding. Wonder how often those boats get used?

Between Hampton and Weybridge I'd say they get used quite a bit based on walking the dog along the Thames Path. Its also rowing country.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    How much of a priority is easy access to train/tube? If it's not, there are some nice areas further away from stations where you can get quite a bit more for your money.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • East Molesey is quite nice as well.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    How much of a priority is easy access to train/tube? If it's not, there are some nice areas further away from stations where you can get quite a bit more for your money.

It is staggering how much access to trains increases value.
  • inbike
    TGOTB wrote:

Ideally easy access to King's Cross by PT. Have been looking at Herne Hill/Stockwell because of that, but both places involve a lot of compromises so have been looking wider.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    inbike wrote:
    Ideally easy access to King's Cross by PT.

Is St Albans too far? It's a bit vanilla, but nice enough.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    I live in Thames Ditton (as recommended by cjcp above). Good schools at both Primary and Secondary level, decent commute by either train or bike, nice village feel. Lots of green space. Easy access to the Surrey Hills at the weekend.
    Despite not being in London, the train is still in the travelcard area (Zone 6), so it's not too bad price wise for train commuting either, and Surbiton Station is only a mile and a half away if you want to get on a fast train.
    Recommended!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Son and GF used to rent in Epping cos she works in London and wanted a flat near the tube. He was driving 40 mins in the other direction. They've now bought a house in Royston, also walking distance from the station. His commute is shorter, her season ticket's nearly doubled.

You're right about the price of property near a station :shock:

Neither of these are any use for a cycle commute into central London though.

(I was amused to find that one of my colleagues has taken advantage of our recent Cycle to Work scheme. She lives in Epping and the Office is in Cambridge. And there's no cycle lane on the M11... :D )
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Avoid Epsom. On paper it looks good - good transport links and schools but dismal boozers and the joys of the A24 for commuting
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • inbike
    Cheers. Places to avoid are the most useful to know about!

(Even down to the street level...)
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Oi, I live in Epsom - love the place (though clearly not the shivering f*cknut of an MP) & I don;t find dear old CS7 too bad at all.

That and you're clearly frequenting the wrong boozers. :-)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    No love for Surbiton? quite like the place.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Wimbledon/Raynes Park/Cottenham Park ("West Wimbledon" in estate agent speak) are all good areas. Good rail links to London Waterloo. You can choose between various cycle commute routes as well.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    hopkinb wrote:
    Cottenham Park ("West Wimbledon" in estate agent speak)
    That's still Raynes Park, at least we always used to say we lived in Raynes Park growing up there.
    If train travel is a factor bear in mind that the tracks split at Raynes Park and again at New Malden so there are much fewer trains going through Norbiton even though it is only a couple of stops from Raynes Park. I have walked home from both of the above having got on one of the last trains out of Waterloo.
  • I am now back in Surbiton but looking for a 3 bed house was hard, everything is too small or too big. We stumped for New Malden with this requirement a few years ago. We've been pained to move away as it worked so well plus were gearing up for mini ABFG1 to go to the local school which is good (but still there was one better).

I am biased as I can sell you a 3 bed with luxury Turbo dungeon I built but had to abandon before use there if you're seriously in the market...
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    vimfuego wrote:
    Oi, I live in Epsom - love the place (though clearly not the shivering f*cknut of an MP) & I don;t find dear old CS7 too bad at all.

That and you're clearly frequenting the wrong boozers. :-)

Recommendations? I like the Barley Mow but can't be arsed to haul my carcass that far. I live near the Cricketers and had a downer on the boozers since the Jolly Cooper turned into some godawful identipub. If I can persuade Mrs G out we normally end up in the Marquis which is a compromise

I think I've just been living there too long - bored of it
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We're looking also. Currently in Wallington (18miles to work), looking to move a little closer in (more like 15 miles max to work). So Kingston and Surbiton are on our list. Also thinking about Twickenham. I work in Kentish Town, wife is in Hammersmith 3 days and week and 2 in Morden, so South/West London is our target area.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • cjcp
    elbowloh wrote:
    We're looking also. Currently in Wallington (18miles to work), looking to move a little closer in (more like 15 miles max to work). So Kingston and Surbiton are on our list. Also thinking about Twickenham. I work in Kentish Town, wife is in Hammersmith 3 days and week and 2 in Morden, so South/West London is our target area.

Do you have kids to get into schools etc? I'm in Kingston, so happy to share some thoughts.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • elbowloh
    cjcp wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Do you have kids to get into schools etc? I'm in Kingston, so happy to share some thoughts.
    Cheers cjcp.
    No kids at the moment. We are trying now, which is more exhausting than commuting! :shock:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:

a route you wanted to cycle from Surbiton would be more than 15 miles
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh wrote:

a route you wanted to cycle from Surbiton would be more than 15 miles
    Yeah probably, the commuting distance for me is not a problem, the main point of the move is to go to a nice area and easier for the wife to get to Hammersmith.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    cjcp wrote:
    The house on the corner across from us is up for sale. Only £850,000! Although it is detached, not a semi, which you'd think they would correct.
  • elbowloh
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    The house on the corner across from us is up for sale. Only £850,000! Although it is detached, not a semi, which you'd think they would correct.
    Nice house, but out of our price range! Clearly stated as being in a catchment area for "outstanding schools".
    Another limiting factor for us, is that the wife is demanding a house in a cul-de-sac / no through road, as we have a house full of cats that have no experience of dealing with cars as we currently live in a cul-de-sac and next to a park.

Personally, i'd leave the cats in the place we're selling...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

£10,000 per square metre. Bargain. Anyone Kingstonians want to buy 4 square metres of my property so I can get a new kitchen and utility room?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

£10,000 per square metre. Bargain. Anyone Kingstonians want to buy 4 square metres of my property so I can get a new kitchen and utility room?

That's cheap for north Kingston, note the F on the EPC which will get you into issues ever selling it one without throwing money at it. I could do you a bigger extended fully refurbished similar house for less in New Malden with a 60 ft south facing garden and a new Turbo Dungeon/bike store building at the end, no cul de sac though but lots of other local cats.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • veronese68
    That's cheap for north Kingston, note the F on the EPC...
    Victorian house with solid brick walls, very difficult to improve thermal efficiency. When they first moved in they were battling condensation and we told them it was an issue with Victorian houses and they needed to improve ventilation rather than block everything up. They said they didn't have the problem in their previous house which was Victorian because it had cavity wall insulation. Pretty sure that wasn't a thing in Victorian times.
    There is one house down the road that has an insulating render on the side wall. They didn't put it on the front as it would ruin the look of the house.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I used to rent a Victorian cottage in Richmond (The Alberts) that definitely had a cavity wall. I know, because the dodgy landlord had put in a bathroom extractor that vented into the cavity...
    Pannier, 120rpm.