Improver which way now?!?!

woodbutcherer
woodbutcherer Posts: 18
Merry Christmas to one and all!!

Some time ago I posted on this forum asking for advice, at this point I was a complete newbie and in retrospect quite green to this sport.
The best advice I was given was to join a cycling club, the prospect made me feel very nervous, but I ignored this and introduced myself to Folkestone Velo Club. Well that was two months ago, I generally ride on Sundays with them on “No Drop group rides”, I found the pace quite hard to start with 17-22mph but over the past 3 rides other than hills I’ve been able to keep up relatively comfortably

I want to improve and become a stronger cyclist with improved hill climbing abilities, but I’m not sure how to train effectively, I go out on my own quite a lot and ride by “perceived” effort. I don’t own a Garmin or a Cadence Sensor or a HR monitor but I feel that if I am to progress then I should invest in all of these at least then I would have an idea of pressures I am putting my heart under.

Thank you

Comments

• What area do you want to 'progress'?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What area do you want to 'progress'?

Folkestone area, I think ;)

OP - do 3-6 months more of what you are doing and then re-assess. Given you've only been doing the regular stuff for a couple of months, I think it's all a bit too soon at the moment...

Unless you have a diagnosed heart condition, then don't worry about the 'pressure' your heart is under.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I don't own a Garmin, cadence sensor, power meter or any of that jazz and happily competed in Cat 1 and ride now with Cat 2 lads no problem.

Don't obsess about the technology and numbers - at the mo ride on feel, get some training plans in, enjoy it pane e aqua.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thank you very much for all of your replies, very much appreciated.

Even I were intending to buy any of the gadgets I mentioned it’s all out the window now following a crash this morning which has culminated in a dented frame, snapped forks and broken front wheel. Not the ending to 2017 I was hoping for.

I’m now in the market for a new bike looking at spending £1000-£1500 but to be honest I’m a bit apprehensive as this is the 2nd time I’ve come off on a group ride and I don’t have a bottomless pit of cash for snapping frames..??
  • I’d buy something cheap that you don’t mind replacing. Have a look at the BTWIN bikes in Decathlon.

What was the cause of the crash? Was it a sprint point or just a lack of concentration.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Woodbutcherer,
    Whereabouts do you live?
    If your near me, Derbyshire, I know of a cheap nearly new bike that may help you out over winter.

PM me if you are local and interested.

Regards.

Tony.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You don't need to spend a huge amount on the bike. Most club riders will be on cheaper winter bikes at the moment. You do come off more in the winter with crappier weather.
  • Bizzarely, I had a quick google for a second hand Cannondale Synapse, I like the bike but didn’t want to fork out another £750 let alone £1000 to £1500 just to wreck it through the winter. Low and behold Flee Bay had exactly the same bike as mine same year, bought new hardly used at a snip of £200.

Picked it up this morning after a long boring drive to Oxford....thank you all the same Tony but Derbyshire would have been a bit to far!!

Reason for accident:-
    Oil + wet road = I’ve filled my pants this is going to hurt, wait for impact, hope I don’t get impaled or break any bones!!