Cold and wet weather clothing

2»

Comments

• This may sound stupid but has anyone tried using rubber gloves over their cycling gloves? I will actually try this next time I need to ride in the wet.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    This may sound stupid but has anyone tried using rubber gloves over their cycling gloves? I will actually try this next time I need to ride in the wet.

I've tried surgical gloves underneath my cycling gloves. It helps but obviously makes your hands sweat more.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    cougie wrote:
    That's exactly how one of the club elders described cycling to me.

If your turbo sessions are all sweetness and light - then you're really not doing it properly.

I put 100% into my cycling, indoor and out but the whole point to me is enjoyment. If it's not enjoyable then do something else. I reckon cycling in the pouring rain with 40mph wind and freezing cold is not enjoyable. But each to their own.

People are put off by different things. I really don't mind riding in a 40 MPH wind. Sure, you go slower, but then you go faster - weeeeeeeee. Also, it's not like riding on the turbo is without discomfort. Riding in bad conditions can be fine, it's just that getting it wrong really sucks.

The question is how to be more comfortable when riding in crud conditions, or at least, not get into trouble when you misjudge the conditions, have mechanical or just a bad day.

I'd consider borrowing a trick from mountaineering: the belay jacket. This is essentially a packable, warm, weather resistant layer that can be put on top of your standard clothing for when you are immobile or caught out. Climbing is a stop/start activity so getting cold is a real problem. Consider a light synthetic jacket or smock with synthetic fill insulation. Something weighing around 400 g might be about right and would pack fairly small. Also, in terms of bang per gram, a helmet cover is hard to beat.
  • Has anyone suggested a Gore Shakedry jacket yet? (or any jacket that uses the same material). Best of breed waterproof basically - and by that I mean it's actually breathable (this from someone who runs hot, and had given up on waterproof jackets until this)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This may sound stupid but has anyone tried using rubber gloves over their cycling gloves? I will actually try this next time I need to ride in the wet.

Similar thing to neoprene cycling gloves. OK in the wet - your hands sweat so your fingers are kept warm by the sweat. Its pretty much as delightful as it sounds.