Cycling on Xmas day

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Will be out on Boxing Day, commuting to work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    define "cycling" ..... does riding up and down outside the house, with my kid, whilst pretending to rescue Cats and bunnies stuck in trees all the time using the game to practice bunnyhopping up and down kerbs on my BMX count ?

Only if it's uploaded to Strava....
  • Skiing on xmas day, now that's going to take some beating!

Did it in Italy a few years ago around the Sella Ronda, Europeans don't really bother about the 25th as they tend to focus more on Christmas Eve. We got up on Christmas day and after opening pressies with the boy in the room wandered down to the restaurant to find everyone 90% kitted up and ready to hit the slopes.

Realizing we'd be the only people left in the hotel we quickly changed our minds and went out.

You'd think Christmas in a ski resort would be great but it really isn't.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Skiing on xmas day, now that's going to take some beating!

Did it in Italy a few years ago around the Sella Ronda, Europeans don't really bother about the 25th as they tend to focus more on Christmas Eve. We got up on Christmas day and after opening pressies with the boy in the room wandered down to the restaurant to find everyone 90% kitted up and ready to hit the slopes.

Realizing we'd be the only people left in the hotel we quickly changed our minds and went out.

You'd think Christmas in a ski resort would be great but it really isn't.
    Just another day on the slopes eh?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I've only missed about two Christmas day rides in the last 25 years. I manage about 30 - 40 miles. When I started you hardly saw more than a couple of cars. Now it's like a normal Sunday was 25 years ago.
  • whoof wrote:
    I've only missed about two Christmas day rides in the last 25 years. I manage about 30 - 40 miles. When I started you hardly saw more than a couple of cars. Now it's like a normal Sunday was 25 years ago.

Unfortunately, you’re absolutely right, but if you get out early enough, I find most roads are still noticeable quieter, than usual.
  • I'd love to, but the forecast for south lakes is heavy rain all day - so sod that. In fact I can't remember when it wasn't mild and wet on Xmas day!
  • Looks like it might be a possibility now, but it wasn't supposed to be...

Was supposed to be travelling north by train to spend Xmas with my side of the family, because for a change, my work shifts around Xmas made it possible. Only for RMT to extend their strike days to now include 23rd and 27th December, with the reduced Cross Country service not operating south of Reading either way. :(
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Will be visiting family in Brunei. Arrive Christmas eve, so assuming borrowed bike is somewhere near the right size ( non cycling sister arranged the bike) and I can get my pedals on it, then I might be going for a quick spin around the block....
  • I'll be out for the usual 8 mile hike with the dog, but weather depending might try and get out on the mtb out to Loch Morlich and back later in the day and do a shorter walk...too early to know!
  • Usually go for a couple of laps of RP with Mrs Idris to work up an appetite. Forecast is looking favourable at the moment
  • Tend to find New Year's Day is quieter.

That's because the bell ends of the motoring world are in bed with a hangover.
  • No time for a ride, so local parkrun instead for a 5k trundle round So'ton Common. Means I can be home before 10 and get the meal ready. Kids might have surfaced by then.
  • Overlord2 wrote:
    Tend to find New Year's Day is quieter.

That's because the bell ends of the motoring world are in bed with a hangover.

This
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Trying to decide whether to do "The Meon Quad" segment of similar, having cancelled the train trip to Wirral for Xmas.

Weather not forecast to be great though, so I might try the Elite training app's option of creating a route on their map and ride it virtually on the Direto.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Trying to decide whether to do "The Meon Quad" segment of similar, having cancelled the train trip to Wirral for Xmas.

Weather not forecast to be great though, so I might try the Elite training app's option of creating a route on their map and ride it virtually on the Direto.

You cannot be seriously contemplating doing a turbo ride on Christmas Day? My god.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    struggling to get pedals off borrowed bike. may need to use the loaned shoes too :(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I refer to Number 11 for this thread. :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

You cannot be seriously contemplating doing a turbo ride on Christmas Day? My god.

It's only my second full day with my Direto, still exploring all the features of modern day turbos, my old Elite Volare Mag from 2006 hardly got used.;)

I find in incredible that I can click a few waypoints on the Elite app map and recreate a virtual representation of The Meon Quad, for example.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/13828374

But what I don't know yet, is what the virtual representation rides like! Am I going to feel like dying on the final ~0.6 miles up Harvesting Lane and the steep middle section of The White Way? There's only one way to find out, fight, give it a go! :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    It was blowing with the odd bit of drizzle. I managed to get 26 miles in.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    38km here, just enough to blow out the cobwebs and feel a bit better about immense amount of food I have, and am about to put in my mouth.
  • I managed a 45 miler, now for the eating and drinking.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Lovely sunny day, blue sky and temperature at 16 degrees. First ride in a few weeks because of chest problem which kicked in the asthma, all clear now thanks to the dreaded prednislone.
  • 36mi through a blustery and wet London. Not the clear, crisp morning I was hoping for. Plus lots more traffic than I expected. But there were some lovely clear sections such as Bayswater Rd, the Embankment, through the City.

Justified a decent lunch.
  • One hour hill,interval training on the north Yorkshire coast, fantastic route no traffic ,sun out .short but good ride , all the best .regards.
    Ilg
  • 36k up to the Brough of Birsay and back, quite mild for the time of year and only one tractor to share the road with. Was great & I even missed peeling the sprouts.....result!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    73kms travelled with the skis on, 8,500m ascended / descended across Meribel & Courchevel valleys.......
    Had worse Christmas days!! :D

https://www.relive.cc/view/1326858044
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Daughter insisted that we should stay at hers on Christmas Eve, we were going there for Christmas dinner. She makes out it's for my grandson, however she is always up first wanting to open presents. I couldn't get my bike in the car as well as the presents. Came up with the idea of driving home to feed the cats and then going out for a ride then back for dinner.
    Got 20 miles battling in to the wind, good to be out.
  • Seemed much busier this year on the roads for cars, glad everyone made it back unscathed
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    23 miles in driving rain and blowing a gale, not really worth it if you ask me, took almost as long to clean the bike afterwards
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.