Armed Forces Veterans

13»

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I certainly remember the IRA attempting to bomb Clive Barracks at Ternhill in Shropshire, where 2 Para were resident.
    So FishFish's list is not exhaustive.
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo, being in the armed forces is just like being in a lot of other jobs. It's what you make of it. Yes the forces can, and will, impose on you in ways that working for Morrison's or the local council won't. There are still lots of excellent career opportunities for lads and lasses in the forces - don't listen to the old and cynical. And in my opinion, the money isn't that bad.

What it has done for my son's well being in run up to selection is to get him into sports, become extremely fit and very very mindful of what he eats and drinks. So I've seen the benefit to him there. It's one of the attractions for him, an organisation that encourages you to be fit.
    Better than that, he will get a chance to have a go at all kinds of sports and activities paid for or heavily subsidized by the taxpayer. I work with the military and boy do they whinge about the job (some things don't change) but somehow that whinging stops when they bugger off snowboarding or kayaking for weeks on end.

Yep. That's one of the things that has attracted him to joining the RAF.

Mind you he has to get through OASC at Cranwell next year. By all accounts it's a tough couple of days. However he's living by the maxim of giving it his best shot and having no regrets in later life.
    I wish him all the best. The RAF has been a grand career for a family friend who went on to be a (female) Tornado pilot and other friends. I would tell him to go for it, and if knocked back from Officer training, look at other ways to join. Do not give up!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    They could just give better financial & other support to vets who actually need it, rather than having to rely on charity half the time.

The government are very good at paying lip service to the armed forces but in my mind charities such as Help for Heroes, etc. should not need to exist. All this stupid idea is designed to play to the type of person who reads the mail, express, etc. to give the impression that they care. If they really cared the funds would be made available to help ex-service personnel who need help instead of being wasted on vanity projects such as aircraft carriers without aircraft or nuclear submarine missile systems which could not be used without permission from the US.

disclaimer - I spent 22 years in the Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) and lucky not to need help.
    ps - I can't stand the word veteran - I'm ex-service.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I would not want to unfairly paint the paras as liking a fight if that's not true.

No. We wouldn't want to tar all paras with the same brush...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo, being in the armed forces is just like being in a lot of other jobs. It's what you make of it. Yes the forces can, and will, impose on you in ways that working for Morrison's or the local council won't. There are still lots of excellent career opportunities for lads and lasses in the forces - don't listen to the old and cynical. And in my opinion, the money isn't that bad.

What it has done for my son's well being in run up to selection is to get him into sports, become extremely fit and very very mindful of what he eats and drinks. So I've seen the benefit to him there. It's one of the attractions for him, an organisation that encourages you to be fit.
    Better than that, he will get a chance to have a go at all kinds of sports and activities paid for or heavily subsidized by the taxpayer. I work with the military and boy do they whinge about the job (some things don't change) but somehow that whinging stops when they bugger off snowboarding or kayaking for weeks on end.

Yep. That's one of the things that has attracted him to joining the RAF.

Mind you he has to get through OASC at Cranwell next year. By all accounts it's a tough couple of days. However he's living by the maxim of giving it his best shot and having no regrets in later life.
    I wish him all the best. The RAF has been a grand career for a family friend who went on to be a (female) Tornado pilot and other friends. I would tell him to go for it, and if knocked back from Officer training, look at other ways to join. Do not give up!

It's aircrew that he's aiming for, as since a nipper he's always loved aeroplanes. It's only since being in university that he's geared everything up to becoming a pilot. He's had some lessons at an airfield near Winchester but it's a damped expensive hobby.
    He knows that it's going to be exceptionally rigorous at OASC, and knows that if he doesn't get through then at least in later life he knows that he tried. He studies and goes to gym nearly every day in order to get through selection.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,917
    hommelbier wrote:
    They could just give better financial & other support to vets who actually need it, rather than having to rely on charity half the time.

The government are very good at paying lip service to the armed forces but in my mind charities such as Help for Heroes, etc. should not need to exist. All this stupid idea is designed to play to the type of person who reads the mail, express, etc. to give the impression that they care. If they really cared the funds would be made available to help ex-service personnel who need help instead of being wasted on vanity projects such as aircraft carriers without aircraft or nuclear submarine missile systems which could not be used without permission from the US.

disclaimer - I spent 22 years in the Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) and lucky not to need help.
    ps - I can't stand the word veteran - I'm ex-service.

Yeah.

Look a lot of countries have conscription and the U.K. doesn’t only because there are enough volunteers.

So I’m not gonna be ungrateful. Saved me a lot of grief.

I’m not into the whole “heroes” crap either. I do feel the whole poppy thing has been appropriated by the more belligerent right wingers.

I just want ex forces to be properly looked over afterwards. If they don’t need the help, great. If they do, give it. Least the state can do.

That way we don’t have the help for heroes crap shoved down our throats (because they need the cash) and we can have a more grown up discussion on what the nation needs from its armed forces.