Froome Vuelta salbutamol problem

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    If he self suspended would that have been made public at the time?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    RichN95 wrote:
    this is just an asthma inhaler

Thats laughable to believe that.

So what is it then? Is there some fanciful theory where froome is using it as an anabolic steroid during the off season, then micro dosing with contaminated blood during the grand tours, and has run foul...

Or does the world's biggest cycling team think that taking salbutamol might offer a marginal gain...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:

Can you please enlighten me as to what I'm supposed to be believing.

Thanks.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm assuming any ban will be backdated to the offence. If he is found guilty then he's lost the Vuelta anyway and right now even a 6 month ban would probably wipe out the Tour, that's not in Froome or the UCIs interests and for what will be presented as a probably accidental offence would be a bit draconian.
    A six months ban from the date of the offence would expire on 7 March. He could ride Tirreno-Adratico (which starts that day).

Except a 6 month ban didn't start on the date of the offence. He was still racing at the worlds.

Backdated so he'd lose the Worlds medal, happened before in cycling.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    RichN95 wrote:

Bit strong. I take it you believe it was taken orally? The question then would be is being popped for that amount mid Vuelta really a likely explanation ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm assuming any ban will be backdated to the offence. If he is found guilty then he's lost the Vuelta anyway and right now even a 6 month ban would probably wipe out the Tour, that's not in Froome or the UCIs interests and for what will be presented as a probably accidental offence would be a bit draconian.
    A six months ban from the date of the offence would expire on 7 March. He could ride Tirreno-Adratico (which starts that day).

Except a 6 month ban didn't start on the date of the offence. He was still racing at the worlds.

Backdated so he'd lose the Worlds medal, happened before in cycling.

I've seen it mentioned somewhere that only the vuelta result would be forfeited. The ban wouldn't be backdated, hence the reason he should have self suspended
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Ulissi’s was backdated wasn’t it. Did he not get an effective 3 month ban although it was nominally 9?
  • RichN95 wrote:

Bit strong. I take it you believe it was taken orally? The question then would be is being popped for that amount mid Vuelta really a likely explanation ?

I dont believe it was "just an asthma inhaler". Others can speculate.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

But you're speculating. There is an indication that more than the allowed amount of salbutamol may have been inhaled.

Other than that, there isn't anymore.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    RichN95 wrote:

Show some courage of your convictions. If you think it wasn't just an asthma inhaler you must believe it was something else so share your theory or are you just trying to sound outspoken?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    Reading that UCI summary it stated that sanction starts at a reprimand. Does that ever get used? Even in the cases where there seems to be near universal acceptance that rules were not deliberately broken I can only recall there being bans given out.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited December 2017
    Pross wrote:
    Reading that UCI summary it stated that sanction starts at a reprimand. Does that ever get used? Even in the cases where there seems to be near universal acceptance that rules were not deliberately broken I can only recall there being bans given out.
    In football: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36404943

(although it's probably a moot point as that report notes he had a seriously broken leg - and still hasn't returned to first team football a year and half later)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited December 2017
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    In football: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36404943

Was lower than froomes level though.

Plus in his hearing the player stated he may have taken 20-25 puffs of his inhaler in the 24hrs prior to the test.

Yet he still had a 20% lower salbutamol level than Froome.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    RichN95 wrote:

Then prove that any other form of Salbutamol i'e intravenously and/or pill form has a performance enhancing effect in the face of medical evidence (referred to in previous posts) that it has very little improvement in performance.
    Than also prove that the exceeded dose given some other way, would have given him some benefit.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pinno wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Then prove that any other form of Salbutamol i'e intravenously and/or pill form has a performance enhancing effect in the face of medical evidence (referred to in previous posts) that it has very little improvement in performance.
    Than also prove that the exceeded dose given some other way, would have given him some benefit.

That's irrelevant.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    iainf72 wrote:

But you're speculating. There is an indication that more than the allowed amount of salbutamol may have been inhaled.

Twice the allowed limit seems to be a lot

Why it's very nearly a armful
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    redvision wrote:
    Plus in his hearing the player stated he may have taken 20-25 puffs of his inhaler in the 24hrs prior to the test.
    He said it was probably a lot less though.

But that wasn't the question Pross asked was it. He asked if anyone had just been reprimanded.
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'd still like to see clarification on the time scales of the process.

If the rider elects to delay submitting a defence and keep riding, what happens?
    You won't get to see anything.

If I was in charge of the whole thing, this is what would do.

At the time of the B sample CADF agree with Sky a date by which Sky have to make submissions before further CADF take action (let's say 1 March - it will be before any major race Froome plans to enter)

Froome quietly informs the UCI that he is self-suspending himself until that date (he's not racing anyway and it gets time in the bank). Self-suspensions do not require public disclosure.

On 1 March CADF decide if Sky's evidence is sufficient to drop the case, consultating with WADA. If it is they do so. If not they set a date for a hearing (in maybe a month or two) and formally suspend Froome.

If Sky/Froome want longer they can keep postponing but Froome can't ride. If the CADF more time to make a decision past 1 March, then fine but Froome can ride without fear of losing any result.

This would motivate both parties to get on with it, which is both of their interests. To save more time they could agree to take the initial hearing directly to CAS, which would prevent appeals. There's really no reason that this shouldn't be sorted out before the Giro.

That seems sensible enough
    But we're agreed that the bit I've bolded doesn't exist in the current process and as it stands a stalemate is a possibility
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Pinno wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That's irrelevant.

Probably but the cynics have to back up their implications with fact.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

It is. But there are clearly other factors which influence the detected amount. Notably when the does were taken and the hydrated state of the athlete.

It doesn't take a huge leap of imagination to speculate that a dehydrated athlete having a few puffs on an inhaler while, at about the same time, rehydrating with the liquid that will make up a urine test less than an hour later may give off some abnormal results. Particularly if some of the spray is swallowed rather than inhaled. How abnormal though?
  • redvision
    RichN95 wrote:
    redvision wrote:

But he would wouldn't he?? He was trying to avoid a ban.

It is more alarming that even if he had taken half of that, say 12 puffs, he still had less in his blood than Froome.

I was in full defence of Froome but if he did have to take the salbutamol inhaler that many times he should have been in hospital. To me this is starting to smell a bit iffy...
  • RichN95.
    But we're agreed that the bit I've bolded doesn't exist in the current process and as it stands a stalemate is a possibility
    In theory. But I can't see a situation where CADF don't give Froome a deadline to come up with something to avoid a charge. After that they can charge him and provisionally suspend him
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    redvision wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    redvision wrote:

But he would wouldn't he?? He was trying to avoid a ban.

It is more alarming that even if he had taken half of that, say 12 puffs, he still had less in his blood than Froome.

I was in full defence of Froome but if he did have to take the salbutamol inhaler that many times he should have been in hospital. To me this is starting to smell a bit iffy...

Just out of interest, what do you mean by smelling iffy.
  • redvision
    john1967 wrote:

That there may be more to this than a simple overuse of an inhaler to treat asthma symptoms after that stage.

I hope not but something doesn't add up.
  • RichN95.
    redvision wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

That there may be more to this than a simple overuse of an inhaler to treat asthma symptoms after that stage.

The problem is none of the scenarios, good or bad, that people have suggested make sense.
  • redvision
    RichN95 wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

The problem is none of the scenarios, good or bad, that people have suggested make sense.

That's true.
    One thing I think is certain is that despite his claims, this will tarnish his legacy.
    If he is cleared doubters will claim cover up.
    If he's banned then assumptions will be made over his tour victories.
  • smithy21
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

It is. But there are clearly other factors which influence the detected amount. Notably when the does were taken and the hydrated state of the athlete.

It doesn't take a huge leap of imagination to speculate that a dehydrated athlete having a few puffs on an inhaler while, at about the same time, rehydrating with the liquid that will make up a urine test less than an hour later may give off some abnormal results. Particularly if some of the spray is swallowed rather than inhaled. How abnormal though?

I would disagree with you there. Froome has been using his inhaler for years. He has finished some stages completely knackered, ill and probably dehydrated yet hasn’t triggered the threshold. Something doesn’t add up but I don’t think the dehydration argument makes sense. If it’s an accident there had to be something unique about that stage or circumstances to cause it.
  • RichN95.
    smithy21 wrote:
    I would disagree with you there. Froome has been using his inhaler for years. He has finished some stages completely knackered, ill and probably dehydrated yet hasn’t triggered the threshold. Something doesn’t add up but I don’t think the dehydration argument makes sense. If it’s an accident there had to be something unique about that stage or circumstances to cause it.
    But he took more than usual. Three puffs after the stage. Who knows what earlier in the day. Does he usually have a puff between the stage end and testing?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Why would Froome ride the Giro if he had the Vuelta taken from him? The effect it would have on his Tour is only really sensible if he's going for holding all three. Without the Vuelta that becomes irrelevant so I'd imagine he would skip it and go straight for 5 tour wins.
  • smithy21
    RichN95 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    But he took more than usual. Three puffs after the stage. Who knows what earlier in the day. Does he usually have a puff between the stage end and testing?

I don’t know but if it was as simple as three puffs post stage then I would have thought that would be pretty easy to replicate in a test. Just makes me think there is more to it than that.

Just throw the doctor under the bus, take a short backdated ban and get back to racing again.