Foam Grid Rollers - any good?

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,926
I've been doing quite a lot of indoor turbo sessions lately. I try and always do a warm up/down but I've been suffering from really aching legs. This isn't during the sessions (other than the usual pain) or during the day but at night when trying to sleep. It's not unbearable but certainly uncomfortable and my legs - thighs in particular feel really tight. I've done the odd bit of stretching but have now been reading about these foam grid rollers for self-administered massage.

I wondered what other's experiences of using them was. I just watched the GCN video with Dan Martin demoing one and it looks useful???
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yes. Indisposable bit of kit.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dabber
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes. Indisposable bit of kit.

Thanks for the quick response... that's encouraging and good to know you find it works.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Thing about foam rollers is, If it doesn't hurt your not using it right.

This is the one I use

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/everlast-foam-roller-grey

5050787210098.jpg

This really help get into areas around joints like the knee or shoulders.
  • dabber
    Thing about foam rollers is, If it doesn't hurt your not using it right.

This is the one I use

Thanks ... I definitely got the "no pain, no gain" message from Dan Martin.

• Dabber wrote:
    Thing about foam rollers is, If it doesn't hurt your not using it right.

This is the one I use

Thanks ... I definitely got the "no pain, no gain" message from Dan Martin.

Im sure Dan Martin is a masochist. He always ends up smashing himself to bits on big races and then carries on like nothing happened. I reckon he gets his physio to kick him square in the bollox every day.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I disagree with a couple of points:

No pain no gain - I think with regular use you can get to the point where it isn't 'painful' but still benefitial

Joint - don't roll your joints!!

And they're only worth it if you use it, unfortunately (I have discovered) you don't get the benefits just from owning one :(
  • joey54321 wrote:

No pain no gain - I think with regular use you can get to the point where it isn't 'painful' but still benefitial

Joint - don't roll your joints!!

And they're only worth it if you use it, unfortunately (I have discovered) you don't get the benefits just from owning one :(

Ive been using them for years. First with supervision from a physio. As for the joints. Not on the joint but near them. Back of the knees being an example. I started using it after I had a torn anterior ligament in my knee. This helped the healing process. And after about 6-7 years of use they still bloody hurt. especially around my hamstrings/glutes.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited December 2017
    joey54321 wrote:

I would concur, or at least, the more you use, it and the more effect it has, the more the pain reduces, until it does become bearable.

To the OP - not sure why you get pain overnight, I also turbo a lot, and have never experienced this, though I do stretch immediately afterwards, have a protein shake and if it's been a brutally hard session pop some compression bits on, which allegedly help.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The song the "knee bone is connected to the.." springs to mind and you do need to understand what might be causing the aching. Cycling causes shortening (tightening) of the glutes and quads, among other things. This can have you wandering around like a t-rex, unable to straighten your legs. These muscles also pull on the lower back mucsles which if you already have some level of lumber damage (which depending on age is most likely) can even cause nerve irritation, making your legs feel sore.

No amount of rollering is a substitute for properly stretching the quads, glutes, and lower back muscles. They will make your calves feel better though. A proper back stretch is also worth doing as well as a few lunge and squat stretches.
  • dabber
    Thanks for all the feedback. It certainly seems like it's worth giving it a try.
    In fairness to Dan Martin, he never actually said "no pain, no gain" but something more on the lines that "it hurts but a good sort of hurt" if I remember correctly.
    @Daniel B... not really sure why at night although I have to confess that I do none of the post ride things you do... just a short warm down on whilst still on the turbo. Any stretching I do is usually pre-ride or sometimes just at random times.
    I don't usually have the discomfort much after a road ride, usually after a turbo ride.
    I should confess that I'm quite ancient so I guess to some degree I should expect a few twinges and I do like to push myself still.

@diy... just seen your post and yes, fair point about the stretching.

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I use mine on my lower back, feels fantastic. Clicks all the way up and doesn't ache again for the rest of the day. It's like a free chiropractor but is clearly just patching an issue I should go to the doctors for but hey ho. Also good for thighs if they are feeling tight
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    OP a foam roller is a brilliant purchase. Although you will absolutely hate using it because it always hurts.

It really does help after training sessions, just don't neglect stretching as well!
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I was advised by my physio to get one. Certainly helps with aching legs and releasing tight muscles.
    Makes you realise how knotty muscles get too.
  • dabber
    Cheers everyone... I appreciate all the good feedback.