Eroica bike?

smilzo
smilzo Posts: 11
edited February 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi,

I’ve bought this bike which was listed as early 80s. Now i’ve got it I am doubtful about this. The eBay listing has plenty of photos https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-034-PEUGEOT-034-LIGHT-Wt-11-5kg-57cm-FRAME-RACING-BIKE-HLE-MANGALLOY-TUBING-/302510438562?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=hHJFEpuFOwQj%252B4OLG9sSHmRvbRY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I can’t see an obvious model number apart from this decal saying Racing - Replica
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4DNU-gJ_0iqaGU0ZGl5b2JhWXM

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Can't see it because the listing has ended.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • smilzo
    Apologies, I tried it in a different browser and thought it was working. Here’s a screen shot of one of the pictures https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w2XrlHULiijWwVz8SkfXO6lwG47XYrqN

Hope this works

It also has “12 Vitesses / Speed” on the other side from the Replica - Racing decal
  • pinno
    12 Vitesses / Speed doesn't mean anything apart form the fact it's a 12 speed and most likely pre '92. Looks like Campag components with large flange hubs.

What I cannot figure out is the frame - I do not remember Peugeot furnishing their frames with Campag - not even the Perthus Pro had a Campag gruppo on it. So it has been added. It looks like a Campagnolo Victory groupset.

I think it is a Galibier from the late 80's.

What was in the description? If you age the Gruppo (and i'm pretty certain it's pre 1992), you could have an Eroica candidate.

http://www.peugeotshow.com

Scroll through the catalogues.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    smilzo wrote:
    Apologies, I tried it in a different browser and thought it was working. Here’s a screen shot of one of the pictures https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w2XrlHULiijWwVz8SkfXO6lwG47XYrqN

Hope this works

It also has “12 Vitesses / Speed” on the other side from the Replica - Racing decal
    Looks very similar to one I had in the Millar era, mid 80s.
    Maybe someone upgraded/replaced the groupset.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Hang on Blakey - according to this,

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France ... istory.htm

1988 -- Chorus (Reynolds 753 tubing, Campagnolo Chorus components); Sante (Reynolds 531, Shimano Sante components); Biarritz (Super Vitus 980, Shimano 600 components) and Deauville (Super Vitus 980, Modolo/Stronglight/Maillard/Huret and Wolber components).

1989 -- Athena (Columbus SLX, Campagnolo Athena components); Deauville (Reynolds 531, Shimano Ultegra components).

So, that means we need to know what tubing the frame is made of.
  • pinno
    edited December 2017
    It looks like a Peugeot PX frame (Reynold's 531 tubing):

img_0640.jpg?w=490&h=326

However, that was a 10 speed. Maybe it was a 12 speed in a later incarnation.

p6ydw3DWGby-v_NkbmngcMrf1sj9bkJe4V7JrgbUXwm4D0ITK7Vn97DgwZTFe3MBmdeYdpxRQtRLobC0HICw=w1366-h658-rw
  • smilzo
    Description from the eBay posting
    VINTAGE FRENCH "PEUGEOT" RACING BIKE, 57cm FRAME.

This is an opportunity to bid for this Pretty Classic Vintage Racing Bike; Made in France around the early 1980's by Peugeot. It is in Good Original Condition.

The frame is made of Steel, Peugeot HLE Mangalloy Tubing, it is all in sound condition, with just a bit of what I would regard as superficial rust. There is a serial number under the bottom bracket which may give someone a better idea of the age of this machine.

It measures 57cm from the centre of the crank to the top of the seat tube, and the length from the centre or the saddle post to the centre of the front tube is 57cm. The stand-over height is 80cm. It weighs 11.2kg.

The twelve speed deraillier is Shimano Light Action, The Side-pull brakes and levers are Dia Compe.

The alloy rims are Wolber Gentleman 81, the Hubs are Normandy. The Hutchinson Turbo AS21 Tyres are Size 700c, they are still in Useable condition.

There is a sticker saying HLE Mangalloy on the down tube
  • pinno
    edited December 2017
    It's an 'Etoile' (Star) then. Nothing special. Here's a very similar one.

Peugeot-Etoile-road-bike-51cm.jpg

But the gruppo is quite interesting. Looks like a Victory headset.

Not worth a lot - what does the seller want for it?
  • pinno
  • smilzo
    Seller asking £130

I’ve found another photo with the frame number on it. And it looks like Y807?11
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Eu6V8NY4x1Y8z9UzND6Yt0RDWiMIhsA1

Does this mean it’s dateable?
  • pinno
    Dunno. Google images of the Etoile. It's definitely one of them.

18f27148a356dd79b68a57e0a9d2da97.jpg

It's probably alright for the money but you haven't bought anything that will be much fun to ride for the Eroica or similar given the frame (and you'll want to stick a pair of 28mm tyres on the thing, There's allowances in the rules for that sort of thing. I dare say, those old tyres won't be up to much).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I thought requirements of Eroica entry were a lugged frame, external cables and no clipless pedals. That frame isn't lugged. Would probably get away with it if everything else looks right though.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought requirements of Eroica entry were a lugged frame, external cables and no clipless pedals. That frame isn't lugged. Would probably get away with it if everything else looks right though.

Ignore him slizmo - he's just a cranky old has been.
  • Tazzy
    Tazzy Posts: 10
    Nice looking bike...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No mention of lugs as from as I can see.

https://eroicabritannia.co.uk/rules

I sold a similar one to a bloke for the eroica. He was happy.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    cougie wrote:
    You're right, same on the Italian site as well. I was told that by a bloke in the Eroica shop in Gaiole a few years back so either he was wrong or they've changed something. He also said pre-1984 so could have just been spouting nonsense.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    You're right, same on the Italian site as well. I was told that by a bloke in the Eroica shop in Gaiole a few years back so either he was wrong or they've changed something. He also said pre-1984 so could have just been spouting nonsense.

Pre '87, in theory, but given that people ride brand new replica bikes it is obviously not a strict rule anymore.

At Gaiole they seemed to let clipless pedals through last year but not concealed brake cables; that was a big no-no.

I'm not sure why people turn up with bikes that don't even conform to the spirit of the rules.

The peugeot in the picture you see in car boot fairs in France for 20 to 30 euros.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Think you need lugs if it is carbon
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    cld531c wrote:

Think you need lugs if it is carbon

cool this should be ok then?

e097c1088ae85f6370a94f9f99ba7f96--sports-games-cycling-girls.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    No - it’s got clipless pedals. They aren’t allowed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    And electric shifting. You'd best give it to me and I'll find an old one for you.
  • Matthewfalle
    But I haven’t got it so I can’t. Sorry.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    Nah, theres two brands I think you are allowed in carbon as they pre date 87 but Ive forgotten the names!
  • Matthewfalle
    Probably some crazy Vitus thing and another crazy French thing. Or a really early Giant.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    Vitus was one, think Alan was the other? My dad had a Cadex and is always complaining he didnt keep it!
  • pinno
    Those Vitus 'Carbon 9's' are hens teeth. They were quite stunning in the day.

file.php?id=244903
  • Matthewfalle
    cld531c wrote:
    Vitus was one, think Alan was the other? My dad had a Cadex and is always complaining he didnt keep it!

I swapped a Cadex for some Spinergys. I found it in a skip and the bonding was coming apart so it was meant to be a wall hanging.

Blimey built it up with shittt parts and sold it as a road going bike.

LBS' eh .........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    cld531c wrote:

I swapped a Cadex for some Spinergys. I found it in a skip and the bonding was coming apart so it was meant to be a wall hanging.

Blimey built it up with shittt parts and sold it as a road going bike.

LBS' eh .........

Luckily he kept the Spinergys - mine now :-)
  • Matthewfalle
    Errrr - no he didn't. they are on Dirk. I don't know what you have but they aren't Dirk's Spinergys.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    Errrr - no he didn't. they are on Dirk. I don't know what you have but they aren't Dirk's Spinergys.

Dirk stole my dad's Spinergys? I wonder whose I have then? Best keep quiet, they may want them back....