1st Power Meter purchase - HELP!

ajdobbin
ajdobbin Posts: 41
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
So I’m giving some serious thought to buying a power meter, as I think it’s something that will greatly help me with training goals etc. Now I thought it would be a relatively simple process, and maybe it is, but I’m getting quite confused!

Could anyone tell me if this power meter will fit straight on to my bike?

https://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Prod ... r-megaexo/

I have a Canyon Endurace AL 5.0 with full Tiagra groupset. I’m assuming I need 110-4s BCD and that I don’t need to add chainrings, bolts or a bottom bracket in order for this to fit correctly to my bike?

Massive thanks to anyone who can help clear this up!

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You're seriously going to spend more on a power meter than your bike is worth?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Yes it will. It will replace your Shimano crankset so make sure you get chainrings to go with it. Good choice of power meter I would like one too.

Don't worry about negative comments it's the norm on here.
  • philthy3 wrote:

I seriously am yes. As the weather is turning I’m holding out until the spring/summer before I upgrade my bike, perfectly happy with my current bike to get me through this rubbish weather.

Thanks for your valuable input though
  • Yes it will. It will replace your Shimano crankset so make sure you get chainrings to go with it. Good choice of power meter I would like one too.

Don't worry about negative comments it's the norm on here.

Ideal, thanks for the help
  • The P2M products are great - the NGEco that you're going for can be upgraded with software so a good investment for the future
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What about getting a turbo with a power meter for the winter ? It's hard to do focused sessions outside. Inside is much better for proper training in the winter.
  • StillGoing
    ajdobbin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

I seriously am yes. As the weather is turning I’m holding out until the spring/summer before I upgrade my bike, perfectly happy with my current bike to get me through this rubbish weather.

Rather than getting upset by the comment, understand what it meant; it isn't worth forking out for a power meter that is going to be worth more than your bike. You specifically mentioned if it will fit your current bike, not one you intend buying in the future, which it most likely will not as P2M are not universally adaptable. A P2M is a worthwhile investment, but as has been posted, you'd be better off buying a turbo for indoor training if your intention is to train to specific targets during winter. Buy a power meter when you've changed your bike so you know it will fit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Rather than getting upset by the comment, understand what it meant; it isn't worth forking out for a power meter that is going to be worth more than your bike. You specifically mentioned if it will fit your current bike, not one you intend buying in the future, which it most likely will not as P2M are not universally adaptable. A P2M is a worthwhile investment, but as has been posted, you'd be better off buying a turbo for indoor training if your intention is to train to specific targets during winter. Buy a power meter when you've changed your bike so you know it will fit.

I don't really see what the issue is, sorry. He's hardly going to be limited buying a PM for a 24mm axle fitment - it's not like it's a rare or unique standard...
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    Power 2 max are a good power meter choice, it really doesn't matter what the value of you're bike is if you want a power meter go for it. Personally an actual power meter is a better investment than a smart turbo, you can use the power readings inside and out which will be consistent readings.
    Good luck
  • cougie
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... der-45980/

For 400 quid you can get a turbo with a power meter. That'll do for the winter.
  • Yes go for it. I have a Power 2 Max and just use a bog standard basic turbo and that works perfectly. I also don't see an issue with spending more on a PM than your current bike might be worth (it's not more though is it). Plus the Endurace is a perfectly good bike. Do it.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    cougie wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/smart-trainers-the-best-options-weve-tested-and-what-to-consider-45980/

For 400 quid you can get a turbo with a power meter. That'll do for the winter.

And a month later he'll get a power meter so he can correlate indoors with outdoors...
  • cougie
    Good luck to anyone trying to ride to power outside with the winter winds we've had the last few weeks.
  • Never understood spending £1k on a smart trainer when you can get a good power meter and a fluid turbo for the same money.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    philthy3 wrote:

With respect, nonsense.

If you view a power meter as a training tool rather than a bike upgrade, then it makes perfect sense to have one whatever the bike. You can still train just as effectively on a cheap bike. And it's not as if it cannot be moved onto another bike at some point in the future.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Never understood spending £1k on a smart trainer when you can get a good power meter and a fluid turbo for the same money.
    Well when following training plans a smart trainer is easier because when using erg mode you don't have to faff about changing resistance/gears when the target wattage changes. You just have to concentrate on pedalling.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Get the power meter. It'll fit and if you're serious about training then it'll be the best investment you make other than the bike (and that includes a new bike!).
  • cougie
    wongataa wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Never understood spending £1k on a smart trainer when you can get a good power meter and a fluid turbo for the same money.
    Well when following training plans a smart trainer is easier because when using erg mode you don't have to faff about changing resistance/gears when the target wattage changes. You just have to concentrate on pedalling.

If gear changing on a turbo is a problem then cycling probably isn't the sport for you. It couldn't be much easier ?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    If you view a power meter as a training tool rather than a bike upgrade, then it makes perfect sense to have one whatever the bike. You can still train just as effectively on a cheap bike. And it's not as if it cannot be moved onto another bike at some point in the future.

Agreed. and I'd rather be a better rider on a mid range bike than a mediocre rider on a hgher end machine.
  • StillGoing
    Imposter wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

I don't really see what the issue is, sorry. He's hardly going to be limited buying a PM for a 24mm axle fitment - it's not like it's a rare or unique standard...

Who's to say what type of BB, BCD, spider arm no. the next bike will be? It isn't as straightforward as you think to simply switch a P2M to another bike. I have a P2M on a Rotor 3D24 that fits perfectly on one bike with a threaded BB, but to use it on the other bike requires either BB shims, which are terrible, or a change of BB from BB386 to BB24. Not ideal.

I see the benefits of a power meter, but I don't see the benefits of buying one for one bike when the intention is to change bikes in the very near future. I personally don't see the benefits of buying a £500-600 power meter for a bike that's worth less than £400 with the intention of training with it over winter. Makes more sense to me to buy a decent turbo. But its the Ops money. Just wish I was selling a P2M. :D
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Who's to say what type of BB, BCD, spider arm no. the next bike will be? It isn't as straightforward as you think to simply switch a P2M to another bike. I have a P2M on a Rotor 3D24 that fits perfectly on one bike with a threaded BB, but to use it on the other bike requires either BB shims, which are terrible, or a change of BB from BB386 to BB24. Not ideal.

I see the benefits of a power meter, but I don't see the benefits of buying one for one bike when the intention is to change bikes in the very near future. I personally don't see the benefits of buying a £500-600 power meter for a bike that's worth less than £400 with the intention of training with it over winter. Makes more sense to me to buy a decent turbo. But its the Ops money. Just wish I was selling a P2M. :D

It's an investment. He intends buying a bike later next year in the sales. Probably one which is more expensive. Which again I fail to see your argument. So what if the meter costs more than the bike its on. By your rationale, You can only ever stick an SRM on a bike worth 3K plus. I mean, the bike can't be even the same price if that's your opinion. As has been mentioned. If he wants the meter now and so long as he knows that the next bike will need to be able to take the fitting so what? BTW, I have a 300 quid Bianchi sat on a 500 quid Turbo. Is that ok or should I upgrade the bike that never leaves the house?
  • I have a P2M Rotor 3D24 type S power meter. It can fit on to all 5 of my bikes. Whether I can be ar### changing it over is another question. I don't see what the problem is.
  • My experience from hiring a few bikes is that once you get to a certain price they are generally all good, so choosing which one to buy next based on compatibility with your power meter is not ridiculous.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

It's an investment. He intends buying a bike later next year in the sales. Probably one which is more expensive. Which again I fail to see your argument. So what if the meter costs more than the bike its on. By your rationale, You can only ever stick an SRM on a bike worth 3K plus. I mean, the bike can't be even the same price if that's your opinion. As has been mentioned. If he wants the meter now and so long as he knows that the next bike will need to be able to take the fitting so what? BTW, I have a 300 quid Bianchi sat on a 500 quid Turbo. Is that ok or should I upgrade the bike that never leaves the house?

What a ridiculous argument when most have an old bike on a turbo :roll:
  • philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

What a ridiculous argument when most have an old bike on a turbo :roll:

Yes it was meant to be ridiculous to highlight how ridiculous yours is. It’s an interchangeable, removable component that will quite easily go on a new bike once he purchases it. All he is doing is buying the meter first while he can no doubt get it cheap and use through the winter before buying a better bike next year. Or is this concept of buying bits separately depending on budget and availability foreign to you?
  • I would have thought that a 24mm chainset was a good choice as you can always get a suitable BB to fit shimano onto anything. That's why I went for that option.

I got a turbo with power first, then as was said above I wanted to use the numbers I had when training on the road or racing so out came the wallet :)

The price of the bike is irrelevant if it's a training tool rather than a posing machine.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    cougie wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:

If gear changing on a turbo is a problem then cycling probably isn't the sport for you. It couldn't be much easier ?
    I never said it is difficult but if you are doing many short intervals it can be a bit annoying constantly changing gear/resistance. And it also can take a little time to find the right gear/resistance combo required to hit you current power target the first time. It is just easier with a smart trainer where you don't have to think about that side of things. Some people prefer that.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I went the route of buying a Power Meter instead of a Smart trainer so that I could have the same numbers inside and out. Yes it means on the turbo that it requires more effort to hit the numbers but for me that's the same as doing it outdoors so it feels more natural to me.

It's also highlighted for me that unless you get a decent smart trainer that measures power accurately and consistently then how do you now that your numbers are the same from one session to the next. The reason I mention this is that I usually do a easy recovery session that lasts an hour once a week and using the same tyre pressure and resistance level the total distance travelled can vary by more than 10%. If I was using a Turbo that measures the power from the roller speed(such as the Tacx Flow) then the intensity of my workouts could vary quite a bit even for the same session. So for me personally I would say go for the power meter.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Id get both now - Spring Summer is when bikes get mega expensive!
  • stevie63 wrote:
    I went the route of buying a Power Meter instead of a Smart trainer so that I could have the same numbers inside and out. Yes it means on the turbo that it requires more effort to hit the numbers but for me that's the same as doing it outdoors so it feels more natural to me.

It should take the same effort. That's the point of power meters.