Sportives 2018 - What have you entered ...

Comments

• leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Maybe Ronde van Calderdale depending how the training goes.
    Lakeland loop
    Tour de Yorkshire sportive with work
    FWC
    The Struggle Dales
    White Rose Classic

Really fancy the Richmond 5 dales but doubt I would have the legs for that then the struggle.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    leodis75 wrote:
    Maybe Ronde van Calderdale depending how the training goes.
    Lakeland loop
    Tour de Yorkshire sportive with work
    FWC
    The Struggle Dales
    White Rose Classic

Really fancy the Richmond 5 dales but doubt I would have the legs for that then the struggle.

Ha, me neither to be honest although back to back days in the Pyrenees last year mean I should hopefully be ok. Breaking a bone in my foot in December hasn't helped get the year off as planned though....
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    The other half has been booking away. Thus far have been signed up for:
    Rawlinson Bracket
    Puncheur
    Gent Wevelgem
    Etape du Dales
    Tour of Wessex
    Sussex Gran Fondo
    White Rose Classic
    Maratona

Might throw in a few others including Shropshire Devil, Chiltern 100 and Tour of the Peak.

All repeats with the exception of the continental rides.

Looks like I'll see some of you around...
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    5 of us going over to Belgium to do the Johan Museeuw E-3 Classic.

Ferry £14 return each and sportive entry €17 each. Cheaper than staying in the UK.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    Couple of events this year for me and the other half

Bloodaxe Challenge - Feb (run)
    Wiggle Vale Vélo - April
    Leeds TRI - June
    Ripon Revolution - June
    Yorkshire Tour- August
    Wiggle Royal Flyer - November
  • So far:

Tour de Phuket (141km ??) 9 March
    Tour de Bintan (140km, c1200m) 23 March
    Road to Taiwan KOM (Spring) (105km c3500m) 23 April
    Maratona (130km c4150m) 1 July
    Etape du Tour (169km, c4360m) 8 July
    RideLondon 100 (161km, c1300m) 29 July

Not sure if I can get away to make all of them - I will likely drop the Etape. If so I'll try for the Niseko Classic Gran Fondo which is also on 8 July and the Taiwan KOM (Summer) on 14 July, which would make July pretty full on.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Has anyone with experience of the Paris Roubaix got opinions on attempting it with a singlespeed?
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    5 of us going over to Belgium to do the Johan Museeuw E-3 Classic.

Ferry £14 return each and sportive entry €17 each. Cheaper than staying in the UK.

It's nuts what UK people are now paying for sportifs, just crazy.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • durhamwasp
    Yeah crazy! Hence we don't really do a lot of UK sportives.

One of the best we have done was the Paris-Roubaix cyclosportive, €10 entry and a free beer at the end! Superb feed stations too.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    TLW1 wrote:
    Has anyone with experience of the Paris Roubaix got opinions on attempting it with a singlespeed?

Don't see why not... I did think about it myself in the past
    left the forum March 2023
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    TLW1 wrote:

Don't see why not... I did think about it myself in the past
    Thank you
  • mdhurley
    mdhurley Posts: 10
    Late to the party, but had the Brewin Dolphin Wye Tour cancelled due to the weather, so have the following schedule:

22nd April, Herio Sportive
    5th May Forest of Dean Classic
    3rd June PROPS Sportive, and finally
    23rd June Iron Mountain in Abergavenny

Still don't know what i'm doing for holidays over the summer, so can't plan anything in July in August.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Entry gone in for Ride Sandringham over in Englandshire. Doing the 150 miler. Never been to Norfolk, do I need my passport?!
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    May - The Great Escape
    June - Tour of Cambridgeshire
    July - Maratona dles Dolomites
    July - Prudential RideLondon
    September - Velo South

Will be a fun season...
  • To update, registered so far:

Tour de Phuket (141km ??) 9 March DONE
    Tour de Bintan (144km, 1189m) 23 March DONE
    Road to Taiwan KOM (Spring) (105km 3520m) 23 April

July should be interesting:
    Maratona dles Dolomites (138km 4360m) 1 July
    Niseko Classic (144km c2800m) 8 July
    Road to Taiwan KOM (summer), (105km 3520m) 14 July
    RideLondon 100 (161km, 1854m) 29 July
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Signed up for

Gent wevelgem ( a great day on the bike) completed it, the Kemmel berg is a bit fruity!...
    Liege Bastogne Liege ( a painful day on the bike)
    Ditchling Devil Audax
    Ride London (as a ride along Marshal).
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    Cuthys Big Bike Ride - June 10

London to Southend - July 22
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Just signed up for this again -my first sportive of the season:

http://www.theopenwheel.com/wrc/

I've done it three times before, it's a great route, and fantastic organisation - a proper feed stop with soup/stew cake tea coffee etc. I am going to see what my form is like, then might sign up for the Etape Du Dales (if there are spaces).
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Just signed up for lincoln sportive 12 May. Hopefully should be good training for stelvio in july
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Phil485 wrote:
    Just signed up for lincoln sportive 12 May. Hopefully should be good training for stelvio in july

Lincolnshire and the Dolomites, same thing... :lol::lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Surprised no-one has mentioned Velothon in Wales. I did it last year and have signed up again this year. Excellent closed road sportive in beautiful surroundings with a cracking climb thrown in for good measure.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 466
    I haven't entered this yet, but I did it 2 years ago and am seriously thinking about it this year. The long route is a similar length and elevation to the Fred Whitton but it goes into the Peak District from Nottingham. It hasn't got Hardknott, but it does have some steep climbs which will have a few people walking. In theory the weather should be better being in early June, but when I did it it was cool and wet.

http://www.beeston.cc/sportive
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    dstev55 wrote:
    Surprised no-one has mentioned Velothon in Wales. I did it last year and have signed up again this year.

It’s a good one.
    dstev55 wrote:
    Excellent closed road sportive in beautiful surroundings with a cracking climb thrown in for good measure.

You have to take it Caerphilly though.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    dstev55 wrote:
    Surprised no-one has mentioned Velothon in Wales. I did it last year and have signed up again this year.

It’s a good one.
    dstev55 wrote:
    Excellent closed road sportive in beautiful surroundings with a cracking climb thrown in for good measure.

You have to take it Caerphilly though.

:lol:

Very funny.

I was actually talking about the Tumble but Caerphilly Mountain is no walk in the park either, especially when it's right near the end!
  • durhamwasp
    Be interesting to see if it's possible to repair the road collapse on the Stelvio pass before the sportive on June 3 :(
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I am thinking of entering Chiltern 100, what is the road surface there like? I passed there a few years ago on the way to Oxford and back and do not recall any big holes.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    mamil314 wrote:
    I am thinking of entering Chiltern 100, what is the road surface there like? I passed there a few years ago on the way to Oxford and back and do not recall any big holes.

I was up that way last weekend. There’s nothing major to worry about, as far as the road surface goes, there are a few creaky old bridges that are closed for repair, but they are well sign posted, and so are the diversions, so all in all, not too bad.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So that was the 3 pistes - a bit of an epic haul: I found it way harder than I had hoped - I felt like I was in quite good shape on practice rides but come the day I just felt lousy the whole way, couldn't sustain an effort at all. Don't think the heat helped, pretty extreme by the usual standards in this part of the world.
    Still managed to keep grinding up all the hills - but I think almost every one of the walkers I overtook re-overtook me subsequently :oops:
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I haven't entered this yet, but I did it 2 years ago and am seriously thinking about it this year. The long route is a similar length and elevation to the Fred Whitton but it goes into the Peak District from Nottingham. It hasn't got Hardknott, but it does have some steep climbs which will have a few people walking. In theory the weather should be better being in early June, but when I did it it was cool and wet.

http://www.beeston.cc/sportive

Should have entered early

'Important update from BCC exec: We are cancelling the Beeston Cycling Club Sportive because of the very low registration numbers leading up to the 1st of July. '
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Velo. Salopia and Clun Sportive.

Shame the Shropshire Hills no longer runs.