Getting rid of middle age belly fat!

124»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Imposter wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:
    A six pack is made in the kitchen, not the gym.

In terms of achieving the muscle definition itself (ie the 'sixpack') - that's completely incorrect. In any case, the thread is not about 'sixpacks'...
    I thought Nick was more of a party seven type guy.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:
    A six pack is made in the kitchen, not the gym.

In terms of achieving the muscle definition itself (ie the 'sixpack') - that's completely incorrect. In any case, the thread is not about 'sixpacks'...
    I thought Nick was more of a party seven type guy.

File him under 'Wetherspoons'...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tyresome wrote:

Not sure what the point of that is, Nick. Hypertrophy and diet are not the same thing. I thought everyone knew that. But I'll say it again though, this thread is not about 'abs' or a 'sixpack' per se, so stop trying to derail it.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It's worth pointing out that fruit and veg are carbs (green carbs) while bread pasta and potatoes are beige or starchy carbs. So a diet high in fruit and veg with starchy carbs as well is likely to hit the 10 carbs to 1 protein ratio, if the ptlrotein is a modest size or only present at one meal per day.

Current wisdom seems to be that a wide range of carbs is better than the same two or three everyday. Apparently different carbs feed different friendly bacteria.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    mrfpb wrote:
    It's worth pointing out that fruit and veg are carbs (green carbs) while bread pasta and potatoes are beige or starchy carbs. So a diet high in fruit and veg with starchy carbs as well is likely to hit the 10 carbs to 1 protein ratio, if the ptlrotein is a modest size or only present at one meal per day.

Current wisdom seems to be that a wide range of carbs is better than the same two or three everyday. Apparently different carbs feed different friendly bacteria.

Quite right. ‘Good carbs’ vs ‘bad carbs. There is a difference.
  • Belly fat is not just a problem because it can look bad. In fact, having lots of fat in the abdominal area is strongly linked to diseases like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. For this reason, losing belly fat has massive benefits for your health and can help you live longer. Belly fat is usually estimated by measuring the circumference around your waist. This can easily be done at home with a simple tape measure. Anything above 40 inches (102 cm) in men and 35 inches (88 cm) in women is known as abdominal obesity. If you have a lot of excess fat around your waistline, then you should take some steps to get rid of it even if you're not very heavy overall. Fortunately, there are a few proven strategies that have been shown to target the fat in the belly area more than other areas of the body.
  • Belly fat is not just a problem because it can look bad. In fact, having lots of fat in the abdominal area is strongly linked to diseases like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. For this reason, losing belly fat has massive benefits for your health and can help you live longer. Belly fat is usually estimated by measuring the circumference around your waist. This can easily be done at home with a simple tape measure. Anything above 40 inches (102 cm) in men and 35 inches (88 cm) in women is known as abdominal obesity. If you have a lot of excess fat around your waistline, then you should take some steps to get rid of it even if you're not very heavy overall. Fortunately, there are a few proven strategies that have been shown to target the fat in the belly area more than other areas of the body.

Wow thanks for that.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • In the past I lost a lot of weight I became far more active and I had this weird body shape where I still had my heavy rugby player build but had very little fat around my heart and stomach. If I lied on a beach after my rib cage the stomach would fall away to nothing. One of the main exercises I did was commute to work and back by cycling with a hill about 1km long and fairly steep, it was always hard work and as I got lighter and fitter I approached it faster so it was never easy. I'm convinced the hill climbing more than anything reduced fat around my stomach, it felt like the exercise was focused around that area.

I'd definitely recommend hill climbing by bicycle as a exercise focused on that area and it also has the benefit that you can't stop until you hit the top so you are forced to keep going so you push yourself a little bit more. It also is self-regulating, i.e. if you are overly fat it is more difficult so greater effort shifting your weight up a hill and as you get lighter it becomes easier but then you have less stomach fat.
  • Eat less and exercise more.

Have always been an 'eat to live' kinda guy. Meals are just fuel stops between more important stuff. Also find it impossible to just sit on the sofa for longer than a TV programme, have to be up and doing.

Anyway, must go..