Winter bike 1k suggestions

2»

Comments

• jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    kingrollo wrote:
    tifosi carvallo RRP is £!300 - but you can pick them up for as low as £899
    Cavazzo I assume. Nice looking bike but Tiagra and mechanical however does cost less.
  • jpower
    jpower wrote:
    Cube Agree in 53cm out of stock now. Very strange that so cannot use BC discount in conjunction with cycle2work voucher. I called asking process they mentioned I have to email them all details and voucher etc. Asked how many 53cm in stock, reply loads its bright green, when it get to 10.9.8 it will show on website.

I emailed them 5 mins later, then 25 mins later I got an email saying sorry all 53cm are out of stock. Am I the only person that thinks that was all rather fishy, not very happy with CRC.

The search continues...

The saga thickens. So obviously I'm just a bit smitten with the Cube Agree. After a lot of searching yesterday I could not get close enough to the CRC price which was disheartening as I am going over the 1k already.

This morning check CRC surprise surprise my size is back in stock, yes last year model is restocked, how curious :roll: So sent my email to get one under bike2work scheme, but those departments are closed till Monday, which is plenty of time for that stock to disappear like the last time when it was just 25 mins.

So decided to take things into my hand, I ordered one on credit card (worst case can return), and emailed the dept saying I took care of the stock disappearing and now they can refund, re-order, or just refund the bike2work voucher, OR whatever but either way I know there is stock now :-)

So will wait till Monday to see how things work out.

Fingers crossed.

NOTE: Even after my order, stock is still available and its green which as I was told means more then 10 available, curious...
  • https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... rey_373882

~£1100 with SAVE50 promo code. Check if Topcashback can be used in conjunction with promo code.

I've got the 2016 model, takes real world 30mm wide tyre (28mm Grand Sport Race) on front no problem, I've read ~32mm is possible without guards.

Your only potential snag could be waiting for the propriety mudguards to become available, rumoured to now be Xmas or beyond.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jpower
    Side query - assuming the same tyre, let's say Swalbe Durano for arguments sake, would a 28c offer more grip then 25c? I know there should be more comfort but not too concerned about that part.
  • I think a wider tyre should potentially give a bigger contact patch, depending upon pressure, staying with the same tyre model.

I ran my front 25mm Grand Sport Race at ~75PSI late summer, now I run my 28mm version at ~65PSI, I think it gives me a larger contact patch and grip.

However, back on https://www.strava.com/activities/1151629360 , I used higher pressures on the 25mm (~87/98PSI) and had a very lucky "man-down" moment on a fast right downhill sweeper. I understeered, narrowly missed a tree trunk and just got a load of grazes on my left side and determinedly carried on to give the Peterfield cat3 climb a Christening after a very kind couple helped me out with some anti-septic wipes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jpower
    That's sounds like a +1 for 28 more grip. Good it wasn't any worse.
  • jpower wrote:
    jpower wrote:
    Cube Agree in 53cm out of stock now. Very strange that so cannot use BC discount in conjunction with cycle2work voucher. I called asking process they mentioned I have to email them all details and voucher etc. Asked how many 53cm in stock, reply loads its bright green, when it get to 10.9.8 it will show on website.

I emailed them 5 mins later, then 25 mins later I got an email saying sorry all 53cm are out of stock. Am I the only person that thinks that was all rather fishy, not very happy with CRC.

The search continues...

The saga thickens. So obviously I'm just a bit smitten with the Cube Agree. After a lot of searching yesterday I could not get close enough to the CRC price which was disheartening as I am going over the 1k already.

This morning check CRC surprise surprise my size is back in stock, yes last year model is restocked, how curious :roll: So sent my email to get one under bike2work scheme, but those departments are closed till Monday, which is plenty of time for that stock to disappear like the last time when it was just 25 mins.

So decided to take things into my hand, I ordered one on credit card (worst case can return), and emailed the dept saying I took care of the stock disappearing and now they can refund, re-order, or just refund the bike2work voucher, OR whatever but either way I know there is stock now :-)

Fingers crossed.

NOTE: Even after my order, stock is still available and its green which as I was told means more then 10 available, curious...

I've experienced this before with CRC, wanted item out of stock and told wouldn't be getting any more in as was end of stock clearnce, a week later and there is was , back in stock and reduced even more! Don't know if it has anything to do with merging with Wiggle and maybe conflicting stock control
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    jpower wrote:
    jpower wrote:

The search continues...

So decided to take things into my hand, I ordered one on credit card (worst case can return), and emailed the dept
    saying I took care of the stock disappearing and now they can refund, re-order, or just refund the bike2work voucher, OR whatever . but either way I know there is stock now :-)

Fingers crossed.

Do not gamble on sorting anything with CRC on a monday. They do not provide a phone service on monday, their online chat is never (in my experience) available and an Email will not be answered till tuesday. After that moan,I purchased a Willier at a very good price.The last one ,..er no it was not,well at that size it was,...er no it was not. Some snags with online spec and bike delivered were amicably and quickly sorted and I would buy off them again.
    Sorry if I am diverting this thread.
  • jpower
    Thanks guys now I know it's not just me. Did think that maybe there shifting the stock to wiggle but then I saw wiggle was not selling any Cube bikes. I was thinking due to the cut price with the fact that of the 1k voucher they only get 900 when they cash it in means even less of a margin for them on a bike they probably assume will shift at the sale price may have been the reason. Who knows but really hope it works out in the end. Stay tuned.
  • jpower
    jpower wrote:
    jpower wrote:

The search continues...

Fingers crossed.

OK I am getting to the end of my teether. I spoke to them in the morning explained I bought one as backup for stock, was told they can't use that order, which is fine. Informed me there is 28 in stock and they would get round to it in a couple of hours or so. Not heard back, however just now I see size 53cm is now out of stock. WOW so thurs/fri they sold 10+ in 30 mins and today 28 in 2 hours, there seriously a lot of buyers out there (if you know what I mean).

Waiting to hear back, but am sure it will be to tell me its out of stock. Meanwhile the one I purchased on credit card has already been dispatched. I really think I don't stand any chance with them and that there is some serious silly buggers going on here. Very disappointed but I await judgement, hopefully I'm wrong and it went out of stock when they placed my order with the voucher :D
  • jpower
    Too tired to write another story, but the short of it, back in stock this morning, and finally got my order sorted with voucher eventually.
  • jpower
    UPDATE - Big thanks @ shiznit76 now had the cube just over a week and put a century on it. Its just what I wanted, feels smooth and stable and braking is great, very much making the winter ride more enjoyable. Got 25's on there right now as thats what I had, may move to 28's was thinking buy a pair and change the rear to 28, keep the front as 25.