Winter bike 1k suggestions

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Finally have approval to buy N+1

Looking for a winter bike around £1k like to have everything 105 groupset,.must have disc brakes and allow wider wheels. It's via bike2work scheme so must be from a retailer that accepts the scheme.

Your suggestions most welcome

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cannondale CAAD Optimo 105

I assume your sentence meant to read ‘needs to have disc brakes’?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Not a specific bike, but bike specs.
    Disc brakes, full mud guards and clearance for 25mm (+) tyres.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jpower
    NapoleonD wrote:

auto-correct is so clever. Updated. I'm also looking at, the bike in general gets good reviews, but I never heard of them, also forgot to mention this bike would be used mostly for Sunday club rides:

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/gt_grade_a ... lsrc=aw.ds

So will add brakes should be hydraulic, hence the CAAD is ruled out I think as its mechanical
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Boardman team cx
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    jpower wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

auto-correct is so clever. Updated. I'm also looking at, the bike in general gets good reviews, but I never heard of them, also forgot to mention this bike would be used mostly for Sunday club rides:

So will add brakes should be hydraulic, hence the CAAD is ruled out I think as its mechanical

One of the best alloy frames ever > hydraulic brakes on a GT
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The new Cube NuRoad Pro looks interesting. A bit over budget but ticks all the boxes. Cycling Weekly website has a video review on there at the moment.

https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/cube ... -bike-2018
  • Problems with winter bikes, is that you winterize it too much and you end up with a heavy clunker you just don't want to ride.

Likewise buying a CX bike, you just may not want to ride it.

A lightish weight alu frame, takes wide tyres, maybe mudguard mounts but not a necessity

Kinesis, Spesh Allez, Dolan, etc etc
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • How about a London Road from Planet X https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/london-road there's 2 hydraulic brake options, a 1x11 and a 2x11.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • jpower
    MrB123 wrote:
    The new Cube NuRoad Pro looks interesting. A bit over budget but ticks all the boxes. Cycling Weekly website has a video review on there at the moment.

https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/cube ... -bike-2018

Now thats a good spanner in the works. I think the GT was at the top of my list, but nuroad in my favourite colour def got me thinking.

Planetx with hydraulic price point, prob would make me still go for the GT.

Agree about not wanting a summer heavy bike that I don't like to ride, thats kinda why my main requirement is hydraulic disc brakes, wider tyres. Currently my main bike is a Felt AR which can't go beyond a 25, it has bottom mounted brakes, plus I use carbon rims with carbon brake track so the braking is pretty hairy in not so good conditions.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Dolan RDX, or that hydraulic carbon merckx that Merlin had...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    jpower wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

That GT is available from the 14th March, 2018.
    An issue?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    That Cube looks good value. I personally prefer Shimano Hydraulic brakes compared to the TRP Hy/Rd Hydraulic cable actuated brakes that are on the Grade. Mine where a pain to get set up, probably down to me, but my RS505 have just worked fantastically well without me having to do anything to them.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can you top up to get a more expensive one?

If like me you're compact but beautifully formed, Rutland have the 2017 Genesis Datum 20 in the smaller sizes in the sale. 2 days ago could've had one for £1300. Full carbon frame and fork, hydraulic discs and 105 apart from the chainset. Massive clearance for fatter tyres, mudguard mounts. Luscious blue paint job that looks even better in the flesh. I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could persuade my wife I need a third bike...
  • a wee bit dearer, but seriously good bike for the money, and if you are a BC member can knock 10% off price so brings it even closer to your budget

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod154502
  • jpower
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That GT is available from the 14th March, 2018.
    An issue?

Damn how did I miss that, its not really a problem but yeah it is a problem. Not sure I can wait that long and miss most the winter too.
  • jpower
    shiznit76 wrote:
    a wee bit dearer, but seriously good bike for the money, and if you are a BC member can knock 10% off price so brings it even closer to your budget

Where do you guys keep finding these things. OK my eyes are very pleased looking at this one and not sure if my wife will believe its a winter bike.

I'm confused with the tyre sizing 25-622 (I know 700 with 23,25) -- I assume it means they have 25's can I get wider tyres onto those rims and that frame?
  • jpower wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    a wee bit dearer, but seriously good bike for the money, and if you are a BC member can knock 10% off price so brings it even closer to your budget

Where do you guys keep finding these things. OK my eyes are very pleased looking at this one and not sure if my wife will believe its a winter bike.

I'm confused with the tyre sizing 25-622 (I know 700 with 23,25) -- I assume it means they have 25's can I get wider tyres onto those rims and that frame?

yes 25-622 is same as 700x25 it is the ISO version of writing size.
    Unsure what tyre size this bike would go up to, would imagine you could run 28mm no problem though.
    There are no mudgaurd fixing points so would need use clip on ones if need them, not an issue really, i use them and they are fine
  • jpower
    shiznit76 wrote:
    jpower wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

yes 25-622 is same as 700x25 it is the ISO version of writing size.
    Unsure what tyre size this bike would go up to, would imagine you could run 28mm no problem though.
    There are no mudgaurd fixing points so would need use clip on ones if need them, not an issue really, i use them and they are fine

Do you have one of these? If yes is there clearance for 28 or larger and would the rim take that tyre size, can't find any info on the wheelset seems specific to cube.
  • No don't have one, just saw it on clearance section when browsing today. Contact chainreaction, they will give you information on it, or maybe even wee search in the forum or online will give you more info
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Boardman cx team.Has 1x11 giving you equivalent to a 12-32 and Full SRAM Rival hydro brakes.Now even more of a bargain at Halfords at £900 and another £90 off with British Cycling membership.Takes full guards and fat tyres if you want them. Lots of good reviews on it.
  • Boardman CX Team £810 using BC discount

Sorry, just seen the post above; it is a rather nice bike with cash left over
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • jpower
    Boardman Cx with 1x11 drivetrain won't work for me, not strong enough to push that and stay with my group, needs to be 2x11 else cracking deal.

So down to 2 choices at the moment either the Cube Agree (found some advertising which says it can take 28's) or much cheaper option GT https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... Frame_51cm
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    jpower wrote:
    Boardman Cx with 1x11 drivetrain won't work for me, not strong enough to push that and stay with my group, needs to be 2x11 else cracking deal.

You can't stay with your group with the equivalent of 12-32?
  • jpower
    HaydenM wrote:
    jpower wrote:

You can't stay with your group with the equivalent of 12-32?

12-32 yes but whats the front cog? I assume the 1x has big jumps between gears, the high speed is nowhere near 52-11 and the low end 36-32 I'm assuming it probably pretty close. Guess its fear of the unknown.
  • jpower
    Messing around on gear calculator I think I am quite wrong my usual 52/36 with 11/32 against the 44 with 10-42 looks like it goes lower in terms of climbs and the top end is not far enough, and we all know I am not using that 11 (unless downhill).

Is my assumptions correct?
  • jpower
    Cube Agree in 53cm out of stock now. Very strange that so cannot use BC discount in conjunction with cycle2work voucher. I called asking process they mentioned I have to email them all details and voucher etc. Asked how many 53cm in stock, reply loads its bright green, when it get to 10.9.8 it will show on website.

I emailed them 5 mins later, then 25 mins later I got an email saying sorry all 53cm are out of stock. Am I the only person that thinks that was all rather fishy, not very happy with CRC.

The search continues...
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13085261
    Check out this discussion it may help.
  • jpower
    janwal wrote:
    Thanks. I read it's easier to convert a 2x to 1x and I don't feel ready for a 1x right now though I like the idea. So think I'll stick to a 2x knowing when components need replacing I may consider 1x then.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    tifosi carvallo RRP is £!300 - but you can pick them up for as low as £899
  • Cycle Rebublic do C2W alongside a £75 discount for anything over £750. Recently got my Boardman CX Team for £825. They wouldn’t accept the BC discount with C2W so this was next best option to me.