Heating's still off...

13»

Comments

• Veronese68 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Question for those of you who just let the thermostat do the work - do you have a 24h constant temp or a night/day temp? Having the house warm/hot all night would do my head in.

Another marvellous invention - the timer.

there are even rumours that you can have more than one thermostat so that your living quarters can be a higher temp than that for the staff
    You can even get smart thermostats that you can adjust remotely and learn your habits and how the house behaves. Amazing what you can do with technology.
    Witchcraft I calls it...

Night set back - smart stats! :-)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,044
    Anyone still got the heating off?

tumblr_mzav8uly2Q1s8su8go1_1280.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Anyone still got the heating off?
    Yes. Actually left my back door open for an hour or so this morning and didn't notice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... -good.html

I went along with it until he said he had a gas powered imitation coal fire. If there is one thing I can't stand...

Also, I would get asthma breathing cold air all night (more annoying than deadly), and the house would get damp. The only downside is that I spent all spring and summer splitting wood and now the GF wants to burn it all as soon as she feels a bit chilly.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    HaydenM wrote:
    The only downside is that I spent all spring and summer splitting wood and now the GF wants to burn it all as soon as she feels a bit chilly.
    Easy solution is not to cut and split the wood till you get cold. Then by the time you (or the GF, if she's the one who needs the warmth) have cut & split it, you're warm and don't need to light the fire, meaning you've got the wood ready for next winter.

Looking at the forecast for the week I reckon I might make it through to the weekend without frostbite.
  • HaydenM wrote:
    The only downside is that I spent all spring and summer splitting wood and now the GF wants to burn it all as soon as she feels a bit chilly.
    Easy solution is not to cut and split the wood till you get cold. Then by the time you (or the GF, if she's the one who needs the warmth) have cut & split it, you're warm and don't need to light the fire, meaning you've got the wood ready for next winter.

Looking at the forecast for the week I reckon I might make it through to the weekend without frostbite.

he would need to mug her off into splitting next year's logs as they would need time to season
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Funnily enough, with a house on an exposed hillside and temperatures dropping below -3 (so far) with accompanying breeze, we have turned the heating on.
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

he would need to mug her off into splitting next year's logs as they would need time to season

I tried to get her to have a go in the spring but her technique so dreadful I got frustrated after 5 minutes I took the axe off her, she'd still be going now if I hadn't!

Already on the case with stealing/sourcing next year's supply though...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I tried to get her to have a go in the spring but her technique so dreadful I got frustrated after 5 minutes I took the axe off her, she'd still be going now if I hadn't!

Hand the wife an axe and tell her to chop wood?
    I think I'd lose mine doing that! :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I tell my 8 year old son that we are doing voluntary work for the council :D
  • briantrumpet
    HaydenM wrote:
    Ah, that I can understand. For a few years I lived on a farm and all my wood was from there, and I cut & split everything by hand (none of those namby-pamby chainsaw thingies). I got quite efficient at it, and it's painful to watch someone else faffing around taking ten times as long.

Or maybe she's using the same tactic that people use if they don't want to be called on to do the washing up - do such a bad job that the partner steps in.
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:
    Ah, that I can understand. For a few years I lived on a farm and all my wood was from there, and I cut & split everything by hand (none of those namby-pamby chainsaw thingies). I got quite efficient at it, and it's painful to watch someone else faffing around taking ten times as long.

Or maybe she's using the same tactic that people use if they don't want to be called on to do the washing up - do such a bad job that the partner steps in.

Maybe this, makes up for when I use that tactic on literally everything else around the house...
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    rjsterry wrote:
    twist83 wrote:
    I hate this subject. We live in a barn conversion, well actually a cow shed conversion. Previous owners decided on putting down underfloor heating with Flagstone flooring.

If I want heating I need to think about it a day or two before. Once the stones have the heat in them, they are lovely. But it then needs it on ticking over constantly.

The bedrooms are carpeted however I don't know what they did the floor with but heating on for a day and the temperature in the bedroom never gets to a sensible one.

I miss good old fashioned central heating or a Wood burner :(

UFH is intended to be set to the desired temperature and then run off the thermostat, not switched on and off like a light bulb. The boiler will only click on when the stat tells it to, so although it's on all the time it's not always on. That said, two days to heat the room is slow even for UFH. If it's a barn conversion, are the old walls insulated? If not, that is a huge mass of masonry you need to bring up to at least close to room temperature before the room won't feel cold. If the air temp is 18C but the walls are at 10C, they will be sucking heat out of the space almost as fast as you can put it in via the UFH (~25C), hence the time lag.

Yeah aware how it works. As that is what we usually do. You can see when it is firing with the control panel in each room. Some walls are and some are not. External walls are. Internal are not between rooms. Just pure masonry. Something isnt right with the bedroom one. But the cost to have it looked at, at the moment isn't worth the hassle for now.

We make do, it is just a pain in the ass and requires decent planning which I am crap at. I just prefer the simplicity of the latter.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    twist83 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    twist83 wrote:
    I hate this subject. We live in a barn conversion, well actually a cow shed conversion. Previous owners decided on putting down underfloor heating with Flagstone flooring.

If I want heating I need to think about it a day or two before. Once the stones have the heat in them, they are lovely. But it then needs it on ticking over constantly.

The bedrooms are carpeted however I don't know what they did the floor with but heating on for a day and the temperature in the bedroom never gets to a sensible one.

I miss good old fashioned central heating or a Wood burner :(

UFH is intended to be set to the desired temperature and then run off the thermostat, not switched on and off like a light bulb. The boiler will only click on when the stat tells it to, so although it's on all the time it's not always on. That said, two days to heat the room is slow even for UFH. If it's a barn conversion, are the old walls insulated? If not, that is a huge mass of masonry you need to bring up to at least close to room temperature before the room won't feel cold. If the air temp is 18C but the walls are at 10C, they will be sucking heat out of the space almost as fast as you can put it in via the UFH (~25C), hence the time lag.

Yeah aware how it works. As that is what we usually do. You can see when it is firing with the control panel in each room. Some walls are and some are not. External walls are. Internal are not between rooms. Just pure masonry. Something isnt right with the bedroom one. But the cost to have it looked at, at the moment isn't worth the hassle for now.

We make do, it is just a pain in the ass and requires decent planning which I am crap at. I just prefer the simplicity of the latter.

Sorry, if I'm teaching you to suck eggs. Could be a valve on the manifold that isn't properly set up or faulty. Not suggesting you've done this, but we did have one client who was convinced there was a problem with his new UFH (there was, it hadn't been commissioned yet) but instead of asking someone to take a look at it he had a go himself, twiddling all the valves on the manifold. Took an engineer 10 minutes to spot what had happened and half a day to get it all back the way it should be.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Just thought Stevo would like to know that the heating (a woodburner) is on at home here, as it's a tad chilly.

img_20180212_205504.jpg?w=620