Heating's still off...

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Ballysmate wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Sorry to disappoint you I never switch mine off, just down on the thermostat. Not been with BG for years, found ovo cheapest for me. Sadly no logburners as smokeless area.

Likewise, ours never goes off, use the thermostat.
    Can't understand people with a fixed cut off date or switch on date. Do you get a minor local celeb to come around to switch it on?
    If we are hungry we get something to eat. Thirsty? We get a drink. Chilly? I'm sure you get the idea. :wink:
    I was beginning to think I was the only one with this marvellous piece of technology. Yes our heating comes on according to the temperature not the calendar.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Webboo wrote:
    We haven't had the heating on yet as none of the radiators are connected in yet. We have been lighting the wood burners being wimps but in our defence tonight is first night in two weeks we have had an inside toilet. We had no bath or shower for a week, witnessing the missus as she got herself sat in the kitchen sink for an all over wash was a sight to behold.

How small is your Doris to fit in a sink? I'm looking at our kitchen sink now (standard sized kitchen sink) and I couldn't fit one of my legs in there with getting a case of rectal faucet.
    Belfast sink.
    I did point out that we had to cut down one of the supports in order to get the dishwasher in and should it collapse how would she explain it to the insurance company.
    In all it was an interesting morning as later on we got a knock at the door and someone informing us that the 10 foot by 7 foot metal garage door we had replaced and was leaning against the garage wall was now in next doors garden as result of the wind.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    Think our heating went on in September as London is know for its freezing early autumn temperatures :roll: You'd think coming from a country with freezing winters my Missus would be hardened to the cold but apparently it doesn't work like that. I've also learned that if you are cold for a second you automatically catch a cold, doubly so for children.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Must be a cheap one if you're making such a big thing about saving 10 quid off you gas bill.
    Yeah, didn't pay too much for it. The view came free.

img_20170814_155240.jpg?w=400

Nice
    Not quite - that's 175 miles away.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,044
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Must be a cheap one if you're making such a big thing about saving 10 quid off you gas bill.

That's Cwymbran isn't it? You can see Edwyn's house with the red tiles.
    That explains why its cheap.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Game, set and match to Trumpet.
    You're talking bollox. What a change :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I hate this subject. We live in a barn conversion, well actually a cow shed conversion. Previous owners decided on putting down underfloor heating with Flagstone flooring.

If I want heating I need to think about it a day or two before. Once the stones have the heat in them, they are lovely. But it then needs it on ticking over constantly.

The bedrooms are carpeted however I don't know what they did the floor with but heating on for a day and the temperature in the bedroom never gets to a sensible one.

I miss good old fashioned central heating or a Wood burner :(
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Loving the fact that people are stating, that no heating goes on in their house, whilst simultaneously talking about their wood burner being lit!
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Haha I did notice that
  • Tashman wrote:
    Loving the fact that people are stating, that no heating goes on in their house, whilst simultaneously talking about their wood burner being lit!
    Haven't had the burner on yet either - not cold enough. The Mrs has plenty of jumpers and I want to make sure she gets full use of them.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It was 15 degrees in our kitchen this morning and that was before the plumber kept leaving the door open. Since I lit the wood burner in the next room an hour ago, it's gone up to 18.4
    Tropical
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Tashman wrote:
    Haven't had the burner on yet either - not cold enough. The Mrs has plenty of jumpers and I want to make sure she gets full use of them.
    :) A man after my own heart, although I will admit to ours being on due to Tashwife bing in control of the thermostat. Apparenly there's something wrong with me as I'm the only one that doesn't feel the "cold"
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Just had the photo album out to check - Cwmbran looking towards Llangybi.

You can also see Greenmeadow Community Farm in the far right and Llanyrafon Manor. Mecca Bingo is just visible: can you post a nighttime pic and you'll see the neons going.

Give me a pm next time you're in and I'll bring some of Charlotte's Pontefract cake.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tashman wrote:

I just picked my first two bags of smokeless coal for winter, as it gets colder the wood burner is on all day so this buffers it when MrsHD forgets to chuck a log or two on.

Heating has been ticking over for a while now but still gets shut down on milder days.

As for putting on jumpers to keep warm, it the year 2017 FFS, not the dark ages!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    As for putting on jumpers to keep warm, it the year 2017 FFS!

Even more reason to not wantonly burn fossil fuels, when there are alternative methods of keeping warm. ;)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You can also see Greenmeadow Community Farm in the far right and Llanyrafon Manor. Mecca Bingo is just visible: can you post a nighttime pic and you'll see the neons going.

Give me a pm next time you're in and I'll bring some of Charlotte's Pontefract cake.
    Will do. I do like a little bit of Gateau de Pontefract.

People just don't realise how warm Cwmbran gets in the summer - it was over 40C there last summer. The local wine (Clairette de Cwmbran) is good too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    twist83 wrote:
    I hate this subject. We live in a barn conversion, well actually a cow shed conversion. Previous owners decided on putting down underfloor heating with Flagstone flooring.

If I want heating I need to think about it a day or two before. Once the stones have the heat in them, they are lovely. But it then needs it on ticking over constantly.

The bedrooms are carpeted however I don't know what they did the floor with but heating on for a day and the temperature in the bedroom never gets to a sensible one.

I miss good old fashioned central heating or a Wood burner :(

UFH is intended to be set to the desired temperature and then run off the thermostat, not switched on and off like a light bulb. The boiler will only click on when the stat tells it to, so although it's on all the time it's not always on. That said, two days to heat the room is slow even for UFH. If it's a barn conversion, are the old walls insulated? If not, that is a huge mass of masonry you need to bring up to at least close to room temperature before the room won't feel cold. If the air temp is 18C but the walls are at 10C, they will be sucking heat out of the space almost as fast as you can put it in via the UFH (~25C), hence the time lag.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Actually I think you can see one of my downhill tracks in the distance.

If you're near Cwmbran then we stay pretty close by in the lovely village of Newbridge :)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If you're near Cwmbran then we stay pretty close by in the lovely village of Newbridge :)

If you look really closely you can see someone holding their shoulder crying like a girl...
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If you look really closely you can see someone holding their shoulder crying like a girl...

Boom boom,lol
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Maybe Brian's extra thick cardigan dislocated his shoulder?
  • Question for those of you who just let the thermostat do the work - do you have a 24h constant temp or a night/day temp? Having the house warm/hot all night would do my head in.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Question for those of you who just let the thermostat do the work - do you have a 24h constant temp or a night/day temp? Having the house warm/hot all night would do my head in.

Another marvellous invention - the timer.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Question for those of you who just let the thermostat do the work - do you have a 24h constant temp or a night/day temp? Having the house warm/hot all night would do my head in.

there are even rumours that you can have more than one thermostat so that your living quarters can be a higher temp than that for the staff
  • briantrumpet
    Ballysmate wrote:

there are even rumours that you can have more than one thermostat so that your living quarters can be a higher temp than that for the staff
    You don't want to give the domestic staff any heating, or they might take a break during their 18-hour shifts. Make sure that they have to keep moving to keep warm.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    Biggest problem I have is that the central heating starts hammering as if it needs bleeding and to stop it you have to adjust the thermostat on one of the radiators which seems to balance out the pressure. Unfortunately at the moment this appears to have resulted in our bedroom radiator being way hotter than the others whereas I would normally have that switched off or very low most of the time and it is downstairs that tends to need the heat (which I guess is obvious with heat rising but also as we have no radiator in the kitchen or conservatory).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Ballysmate wrote:

You can even get smart thermostats that you can adjust remotely and learn your habits and how the house behaves. Amazing what you can do with technology.
  • briantrumpet
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

You can even get smart thermostats that you can adjust remotely and learn your habits and how the house behaves. Amazing what you can do with technology.
    Once upon a time, this was the cutting-edge technology...

img_20170130_124849543-copy.jpg
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    - Alexa, whats the house temperature
    - The temperature in the house is 16 degrees
    - Alexa whats the house temperature set to
    - The temperature in the house is set to 10 degrees
    - FFS, Alexa set the house temperature to 18 degress
    - OK, the house temperature is set to 18 degrees
    - Alexa, remind me to scold the wife for playing with the thermostat
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Witchcraft I calls it...
    Ecrasez l’infame