England Under 17s forced to wear sports bras

13»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    At my school in Kenya, Indian or Pakistani origin Asians were only interested in Hockey or Cricket.
    There are a few black (British) table Tennis players. Never heard of or seen Indian or Pakistani origin Asians playing table tennis. I am sure there are a few but in the UK, they must be the exception rather than the rule.
    Apart from white people, I have only played against Cantonese and Taiwanese at snooker. Although I know the Chinese are heavily into the game but no Asians (0f the above origin).

You never see Asians swimmers. I'be seen the odd squash player though. My brother played in a squash league in London and I saw a few Asian squash players.

According to wiki:

"In October 2017 the BBC stated that out of 3,000 professional footballers in England, only 10 were Asian."

I think the way out of poverty in India/Pakistan/Bangladesh is viewed by means of enterprise rather than sport. Cuba has long had a tradition of Boxing for example. but how many boxers are of Indian origin?

This explains a little, from ' Ethnicity and Sport'

The United Kingdom's international organisation for educational opportunities
    and cultural relations

"The Asian sporting experience

Asian immigration of the 1950's and 1960's has not been reflected in
    sporting representation at elite levels. Traditional explanations for
    this focused again on racial characteristics (physical size, lack of
    aggressiveness), or cultural tendencies (strong work and education
    ethics making it less easy for talented youngsters to persuade their
    parents that sport is a viable career option
    ). Recent research has
    shown that Asians are well represented in football and cricket at a
    local, amateur league level. This does not yet explain their absence
    from the professional scene, although the cultural factors mentioned,
    attitudes of coaches, and a lack of role models in sports like soccer
    may be significant. Enthusiasm among young Asians for cricket and
    football is undoubted however. The experiences of an Indian
    journalist, Mihir Bose, who settled in Britain, reflect some of the
    barriers Asians face "We had fallen in love with English sport
    expecting to be welcomed to a sporting Camelot, only to find
    ourselves treated as sporting Calibans" (Bose, M. 1996, p.34)."
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pinno wrote:
    I've seen the odd squash player though. My brother played in a squash league in London and I saw a few Asian squash players.

Oh I don't know, Pinno. The Pakistanis are pretty handy at squash, indeed they were particularly dominant in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Squ ... mpionships
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I've seen the odd squash player though. My brother played in a squash league in London and I saw a few Asian squash players.

Oh I don't know, Pinno. The Pakistanis are pretty handy at squash, indeed they were particularly dominant in the 80s and 90s.

That doesn't detract from what I was saying - apart from the quotes I provided, my observations can only be considered as anecdotal.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Of course.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pinno wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

That doesn't detract from what I was saying - apart from the quotes I provided, my observations can only be considered as anecdotal.

It would depend whereabouts in london you were.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

What yer sayin' like?
  • Pinno wrote:
    You never see Asians swimmers

Joseph Schooling would be a bit disappointed to hear that.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

What yer sayin' like?

If your bro lived in Ealing he would have seen a lot of Asian squash players
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

What yer sayin' like?

If your bro lived in Ealing he would have seen a lot of Asian squash players

Ealing?! Best he ever did was Iwfud in Essix mate.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

FFS WS, haven't you got any ground works to do? Why so pedantic? Anyway:
    Pinno wrote:
    ...I am sure there are a few but in the UK, they must be the exception rather than the rule.

[Pedant mode on: Backhand] ...and this 'Schooling' bloke doesn't seem to be of UK origin or of Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi origin either. [Pedant Mode off: Serve retrieved].
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Pinno wrote:
    ...I am sure there are a few but in the UK, they must be the exception rather than the rule.

[Pedant mode on: Backhand] ...and this 'Schooling' bloke doesn't seem to be of UK origin or of Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi origin either. [Pedant Mode off: Serve retrieved].

Eh? He's Asian. He's a swimmer, and a rather good one.

Works almost finished. House will be auctioned on Dec 2. First viewings on Saturday week, so a lot to do. Market here has apparently crashed this week, just in time for us to list it. Pharking typical luck... :roll:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Pinno wrote:

how about in ping pong - Matthew Syed, Desmond Douglas and Sky Andrew?
  • pinno
    ...how about in ping pong - Matthew Syed, Desmond Douglas and Sky Andrew?

Oh no - you're at it an all. :roll:

Matthew Syed is a White British defensive chopper bloke from hell.
    Desmond Douglas was a Black British TT player from Birmingham. Had the please of getting thrashed by his sparring partner. A guy called Joel. He told me that DD learnt to play at his local Youth Group on a table that was squeezed in a small space and learnt a very short game which was way ahead as the modern game is played very close to the table.
    Skylet Andrew = British Black.
    Sir, I will refer you to my previous post:
    Pinno wrote:
    There are a few black (British) table Tennis players.
  • Pinno wrote:

Desmond Douglas was a Black British TT player from Birmingham. Had the please of getting thrashed by his sparring partner. A guy called Joel. He told me that DD learnt to play at his local Youth Group on a table that was squeezed in a small space and learnt a very short game which was way ahead as the modern game is played very close to the table.
    Pinno wrote:

Matthew Syed's father is from Pakistan

my mate Sam plays squash (in Ealing) and he is from Newcastle - parents are both Indian :D
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Pinno wrote:

Matthew Syed's father is from Pakistan

my mate Sam plays squash (in Ealing) and he is from Newcastle - parents are both Indian :D

A Geordie squash player - yeah right. Anyway, I'm not talking to you.