Reverb Stealth Dropper Scratched?

Marko1066
Marko1066 Posts: 6
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I hope someone will be able to assist me, I've come out of the shadows again for some help :D

I've recently noticed over the last 4 rides that my reverb dropper is developing some scratches. At present, they aren't particularly deep but they seem to spreading horizontally. I've unscrewed the seal and attempted to clean out any potential grit with a cable tie (so as to prevent further damage). I didn't seem to get anything out. Please see images below:

Qds8jE.jpg

ssrhCX.jpg

NkQ0xu.jpg

Am I right in thinking that due to the location of the scratches, whatever is doing the damage is towards the bottom of the whole unit? Would it have anything to do with the fact that my saddle is quite far forward and its regularly slammed down during a ride?

It has never been serviced but apart from the scratches is working perfectly smooth with minimal play. I'd like to try and catch this before it gets any worse , if its not already too late.

The bike was purchased complete with the dropper 13 months ago.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well it's already too late, but if you can stop whatever is causing the scratching at least it may last longer, that's going to need a full strip service to find the cause so you have to weigh up whether it's worth it or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.