B'Twin 6.7kg £3,499.00

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It is a bike. It has a high end groupset and wheels. None of us will have ridden it. The brand is usually a low end one.

Not much more can be commented upon apart from what it looks like surely?
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    mfin wrote:
    It is a bike. It has a high end groupset and wheels. None of us will have ridden it. The brand is usually a low end one.

Not much more can be commented upon apart from what it looks like surely?

Low end brand is a bit harsh. Off the peg it may be, but B'Twins always rate highly in reviews, and should be given bit more respect. Did FdJ not use their bikes?
  • I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Looks like a great bike with high spec at a (considering the spec) good price.

Possible downsides: a £3.5k Btwin probably won't hold its value as well as a £3.5k "big brand" bike.

I'd want to be pretty confident in the mechanics at my local Decathlon store, it's possible they won't have the experience that a traditional lbs would have with this level of kit.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

I'd want to be pretty confident in the mechanics at my local Decathlon store, it's possible they won't have the experience that a traditional lbs would have with this level of kit.

bollox, patronising and plain rude - no reason at all to say this.

you find good and bad mechanics everywhere - the two in my local top end shop I wouldn't trust with a kidie's pram, the lad in the local family orientated shop is the best spanner man I've ever known.

if that bike hits all your buttons - price, spec, weight, looks, whatever else, just go for it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    as an aside, thats lush. I'd have one.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    There’s the thick end of £3000 in the wheels and groupset, the frame is the same one as on the £1500 105 groupset model.

It will probably be a very good bike, and I’m a big fan of B’Twin, but if I had £3500 burning a hole in my shell suit I’d be looking for a heavily discounted 2016 or 2017 model from a more well known brand. Clarkson used to say on Top Gear’s cool wall, if you’ve got to explain what it is, it’s not cool. That’s what would happen with this, visually, wheels apart, it’s not that different to the Ultegra aluminium framed bike I got for £1050. If I’m spending £3500 I want to enjoy it most of all but I want it to look like it cost me a few quid too.
  • Matthewfalle
    i'd be more likely to buy it because it isn't one of the well known brands......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

• I'd want to be pretty confident in the mechanics at my local Decathlon store, it's possible they won't have the experience that a traditional lbs would have with this level of kit.

you find good and bad mechanics everywhere - the two in my local top end shop I wouldn't trust with a kidie's pram, the lad in the local family orientated shop is the best spanner man I've ever known.

if that bike hits all your buttons - price, spec, weight, looks, whatever else, just go for it.

Agree.
  • If you have to ask , maybe you don't really want it. But if enough people raved about it , would you buy it ?
    Buy what makes you feel good every time you get the chance of a ride.
    Buy some compromise and feel crap for the next 5 years.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

This is a wonderful example of internet overreaction and argument-inflation.

Someone makes a perfectly reasonable are carefully qualified point and gets an abusive response based on a misinterpretation and/or simplification and/or inappropriate reading of something into what was said.

Decathlon is a big warehouse operation selling mostly low-end / bargain sports and outdoor stuff. The vast majority of the bikes they sell will be very cheap and nasty and ones such as this will be rare exceptions. It's perfectly possible that the mechanic in the OP's local Decathlon will he highly competent with carbon components and a torque wrench and the one in his nearest boutique shop will be useless, but the opposite is much more likely to be the case. As the poster said, it's (more than) possible that the Decathlon store mechanics won't be that used to working with high-end stuff.
  • Thanks neeb. As you point out I was putting forward a possible cause for caution. I've got no axe to grind with Decathlon, I use my local one regularly as it happens. I'd want to be confident in any shop I was dropping this sort of money in, to be honest.

Chill out Matthewfalle, it's a bike forum!
  • Matthewfalle
    neeb wrote:

This is a wonderful example of internet overreaction and argument-inflation.

Someone makes a perfectly reasonable are carefully qualified point and gets an abusive response based on a misinterpretation and/or simplification and/or inappropriate reading of something into what was said.

Decathlon is a big warehouse operation selling mostly low-end / bargain sports and outdoor stuff. The vast majority of the bikes they sell will be very cheap and nasty and ones such as this will be rare exceptions. It's perfectly possible that the mechanic in the OP's local Decathlon will he highly competent with carbon components and a torque wrench and the one in his nearest boutique shop will be useless, but the opposite is much more likely to be the case. As the poster said, it's (more than) possible that the Decathlon store mechanics won't be that used to working with high-end stuff.

whhy is it "much more likely to be the case"?

pray tell.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    "the vast majority of bikes they sell will be very cheap and nasty."

so, exactly the same as every bike shop then.......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    It's a bike with top parts, not a rocket. High end stuff works just the same as low end stuff; it's just springs and cables. Good value and looks ok.
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:
    It's a bike with high end kit, not a rocket. Good value and looks ok.

this.

you fit, set up and maintain Dura Ace exactly the same way as Claris. Same for every other component on there.

its just a bicycle not a Typhoon with extra after market neon bombs.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    No match for an A 10 though. What?
  • Matthewfalle
    what what pip pip tally ho - where are we going to fit the bally cannon?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H

There's a Garmin mount for that.
  • neeb
    whhy is it "much more likely to be the case"?

pray tell.
    Obviously because Decathlon will sell far fewer high end bikes as a proportion of their total sales, and given their market orientation are likely to be more focused on shifting units than on high-end bike care.
  • Matthewfalle
    evidence please or is this just club rider conjecture and snobbishness - the same as when Halfords starting selling Boardman bikes (when you were also all proven wrong)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • neeb
    Garry H wrote:
    It's a bike with top parts, not a rocket. High end stuff works just the same as low end stuff; it's just springs and cables. Good value and looks ok.
    It's a carbon bike with high-end parts with more precise tolerances. If you crank up the bolts on the stem as hard as you can without using a torque wrench (for example) you're likely to crack or weaken the steerer. Many other examples. But really, this is obvious, you are just Donalding.
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:

sweet.

i presume out front job?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    neeb wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    It's a carbon bike with high-end parts with more precise tolerances. If you crank up the bolts on the stem as hard as you can without using a torque wrench (for example) you're likely to crack or weaken the steerer. Many other examples. But really, this is obvious, you are just Donalding.

that is obvious but you are failing to state any evidence as to why Decathlon mechanics would do this more than the average mechanic.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

sweet.

i presume out front job?

Of course, only the best.
  • Garry H
    edited October 2017
    neeb wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

It's the same steerer as the one that's on the 105 equipped version. It 's the groupset and the wheels that make it a 3500 pound bike. I don't even own a torque wrench, yet i've managed to never damage a steerer tube. You've just fallen for all the marketing guff.
  • Matthewfalle
    precise tolerances he said.

its 5nm the same as everything else in the bicycle universe except for cassette lockrings that are 40nm.

it ain't rocket science.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    methinks he thinks it is rocket science.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • neeb
    neeb wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

that is obvious but you are failing to state any evidence as to why Decathlon mechanics would do this more than the average mechanic.
    I don't need to provide evidence because I never stated that they would *necessarily* do so (neither did the poster), just that based on their focus (shifting mainly cheap stuff) they are more likely to, all else being equal. This is obvious. If you think otherwise, it's up to you to provide evidence that it's not the case. Such evidence may very well exist, but it still wouldn't make me wrong or you correct in what has been discussed so far.
  • Garry H
    They have dedicated mechanics. Again,it's a bicycle, not a rocket.