CTT cycling time trials, rules.

2»

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... nt=1690095 that's the email that was sent out to all riders who are using the online entry system. I actually didn't get it as for some reason my notifications were set to no-emails. Not sure how many others saw it or not.

I've just posted on that thread to ask why the feature that CTT requested to have (a pop-up box warning riders when they enter a second event on the same day) isn't there.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    mamba80 wrote:
    Its bit harsh expecting a 16yo to be up to speed with CTT rules, esp if you dont race yourself Slowbike, you sound a right troll tbf
    I don't race opens - I do race local club events.

I've raced boats since I was 10 as a helm/skipper - by the age of 16 I knew the racing rules of sailing (that affected me) - I was never an expert on them - but knew them better than I know them now - I fell foul of them a few times and had to accept the penalty.
    At a world championships - 1/2 the fleet were peeling numbers off their sails to reattach them according to the rules - we just got on and did it as they were the rules and if we wanted to compete then we needed to abide by them.

It's not always obvious why some rules are in place - and I certainly don't blame the OP for asking for dispensation for his daughter as the rule break wasn't intentional and not to gain competitive advantage - however, it was an infringement and they should both be prepared to put up with outcome of the rule.

On the face of it - I disagree with the CTT response - it was a mistake - but technically the CTT have done nothing wrong in enforcing the rule.

Eitherway - I don't see how that makes me a troll?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    we dont know what his reasons are, or more importantly, those of his daughter, having a dig which is what a few have decided to do, isnt helping matters but as we all know, that doesnt stop some people.....

He and Maryka made their peace and she has written a lot of sense abot their situation.

Reading her latest post above, it seems CTT knew about this issue a few years ago and have done nowt about it, maybe our displeasure should be directed at those whose job it is to run the sport and not at a guy who is supporting his daughter?

fwiw i think its out of order that CTT have treated his kid like this, i see it as but for the grace of God......

i ve just checked, notifications turned off for me, i never got this email.
  • mamba80
    Slowbike wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Its bit harsh expecting a 16yo to be up to speed with CTT rules, esp if you dont race yourself Slowbike, you sound a right troll tbf

I've raced boats since I was 10 as a helm/skipper - by the age of 16 I knew the racing rules of sailing (that affected me) - I was never an expert on them - but knew them better than I know them now - I fell foul of them a few times and had to accept the penalty.
    At a world championships - 1/2 the fleet were peeling numbers off their sails to reattach them according to the rules - we just got on and did it as they were the rules and if we wanted to compete then we needed to abide by them.

It's not always obvious why some rules are in place - and I certainly don't blame the OP for asking for dispensation for his daughter as the rule break wasn't intentional and not to gain competitive advantage - however, it was an infringement and they should both be prepared to put up with outcome of the rule.

On the face of it - I disagree with the CTT response - it was a mistake - but technically the CTT have done nothing wrong in enforcing the rule.

i thought your earlier post was a bit cruel, going about how his daughter should know about the rules etc saying he was on a committee so should also know, when it was a BC one! if you didnt mean that then fair enough.

as i read it, the org said the OP could ride but would be DQ ed but then CTT stepped in and said no you cant as we will sanction you both if you do, puts the org in a difficult position too.

this Chard - Ottery st Mary event is put on with 2k of prize money provided by the local council and is part of an event designed to promote cycling for all, CTT need to enter into the spirit of the thing, i doubt anyone out side of cycling would think this is a great decision, its as petty as you like esp as they bl00dy well knew and could have told the OP an age ago.....
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    mamba80 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

i thought your earlier post was a bit cruel, going about how his daughter should know about the rules etc saying he was on a committee so should also know, when it was a BC one! if you didnt mean that then fair enough.
    Ah - didn't know he was on a BC committee - point still stands though - he should know the rules - and as the daughter is of a suitable age - she should at least be aware of the key rules - that's IMHO on the basis that if you're going to compete you should know the rules.
    mamba80 wrote:
    as i read it, the org said the OP could ride but would be DQ ed but then CTT stepped in and said no you cant as we will sanction you both if you do, puts the org in a difficult position too.
    yer - nice init ... part of me wanted to suggest that she should register again under a different name ... but it's closed now so no chance.
    mamba80 wrote:
    this Chard - Ottery st Mary event is put on with 2k of prize money provided by the local council and is part of an event designed to promote cycling for all, CTT need to enter into the spirit of the thing, i doubt anyone out side of cycling would think this is a great decision, its as petty as you like esp as they bl00dy well knew and could have told the OP an age ago.....
    So there's a reasonable amount at stake here - whether the OP's daughter would be in with a chance of winning or not I don't know - and it doesn't really matter - the rule - spirit of which is (I assume) to stop ppl from entering two events and picking the one they're most likely to win based on weather & competitors - has been broken. However - from what has been said - the OP didn't do it to break the spirit of the rule - but the rule is black and white - and the CTT have chosen to stick to it - which is their right.
    Yes - they could've told the OP an age ago - and as it's all computer based they should have. But fact remains that it's a rule and the OP broke the rule.
  • I'm going to guess that the field sizes are fixed. The reason for this would then be to prevent people from registering multiple events then trying to stack the odds in their favor that the competition can't register because all the slots are gone.

Then only show up for that one event you can sack a win.

It's probably a fairness thing to make sure events don't book up with ineligible riders thus preventing eligible riders from participating.

Imagine this for football: there are two local clubs that meet at similar times but you don't know which one will be better or if the team falls through. So you sign for both. Your slot in either then keeps a kid from joining the team, but last second you cancel one of them.

Pretty much the whole world doesn't allow this. You can't book 3 different hotels and then cancel once you arrive. You usually have terms only allowing cancellation up to a certain time, or face penalties.
  • maryka
    Burnthesheep you couldn't be more wrong.

Fields are selected by the organiser after the closing date, by whatever rules that TT happens to have (usually the fastest entries, hence my post earlier referring to "closing times"). The field sizes are fixed but the great majority of open TTs in the UK aren't full, particularly hill climbs. If they are, then the organiser has an obligation to select the best possible field, it's not first come first served.
  • mamba80
    i did some digging! seems theres form in dev/Cornwall for this sort of thing!

a while ago, the same org and DS barred a club from riding TTs and made them re-register kit becuase they had a sponsors logo on, wasnt helped they also cancelled a 25,

Strangely enough, the same people did nothing, when at this years DC 2up TT, female team who won, rode in their sponsors colours and not the reg club kit, i believe this is an infringement worthy of a DQ and i know the OP' nor his daughter put in a complaint, despit meaning they d have either podiumed or i think won.

no performance adv gained, so why would anyone, its localised amateur sport, not the fcggin Olympics.

as i said earlier, comes down to who you know.

also, i had a look through the rules, no where does it say what the penalties are, or at least its not obv at all.

all CTT had to do was tell the DS to let her ride and then DQ her, anything else is just being spiteful but knowing the region, its really no big shock, i oft think the regions "volunteers" think a womans place is in the bedroom or holding a flag.
  • maryka
    There's no rule about wearing sponsors clothing or not in open CTT events, except that if you do have sponsors on your kit, you need to have paid the sponsor fee. You are not required to wear your club, team or sponsor registered kit.

I'd be careful what you accuse people of on a public forum especially as you don't seem to be familiar with the CTT kit rules.
  • mamba80
    So, you are saying you can ride in an open TT wearing trade kit, when not registered with UCI to ride for that team?

I didnt know that, so apologies as i assume you know the rules!

Regardless, its way past 72 hours in fact last year, so its immaterial isnt it?
  • maryka
    UCI trade team kit not allowed unless you race for that team. You didn't say UCI in your previous post?

Going on what you said below, it sounded like you thought not wearing your registered club kit was DQable and it's not. But wearing any kit with sponsors names on it when your registered club or team has not paid the sponsor fee is against the rules, yes.

The two quotes below don't actually support your point at all... That's all I'm saying.
    mamba80 wrote:
    a while ago, the same org and DS barred a club from riding TTs and made them re-register kit becuase they had a sponsors logo on.

Strangely enough, the same people did nothing, when at this years DC 2up TT, female team who won, rode in their sponsors colours and not the reg club kit.
  • maryka wrote:
    Burnthesheep you couldn't be more wrong.

Fields are selected by the organiser after the closing date, by whatever rules that TT happens to have (usually the fastest entries, hence my post earlier referring to "closing times"). The field sizes are fixed but the great majority of open TTs in the UK aren't full, particularly hill climbs. If they are, then the organiser has an obligation to select the best possible field, it's not first come first served.

Well there you have it! :D The UK and Europe are awesome for cycling! You have more competitive people trying to get into the same event. So your comment on how they do it makes sense.

I'm in the US. We're lazy and in my region you can pretty much get into the ONLY regional TT series without any delay or selection. They rent the huge fancy 1.5 mile NASCAR track at night time on a week night when they aren't using it. Then have Cat 5 thru pro, juniors, etc.....

It is the ONLY legitimate time trial series for road racing within several hundred miles of me. There are two velodromes within the same distance that may do TT but they require track bikes, obviously. Think about it this way, imagine having to drive from Portsmouth to Liverpool for the closest and ONLY time trial series.

So, in my region in the US, what I said is true. First in with licenses for your class gets the spots. The exception would probably be for faster classes of road and criterium racing.