Scaphoid fracture

Elfed
Elfed Posts: 459
Due to have an op tomorrow due to a displaced fracture of the left scaphoid, happened during a stupid clip in fail.
I've 17, 000 miles logged in clipless pedals so even more stupid!

Anyway, I've had a non displaced scaphoid fracture on the right side ten years ago which resulted in five months of being in a cast. As it's going to be pinned I should be a lot less time in a cast, hopefully four to six weeks.

I'm worried about riding post recovery, first being losing my nerve and afraid of it happening again and secondly, the pain I suffered after removing the cast which lasted months.

I've a Wahoo Kickr, Zwift and di2 which I'll set in sequencial so I'm hoping to use that in the interim period, just worried about sweating under the cast, which stinks!

Another thought I've had is getting a Trek Domane for a less jarring ride on the wrist.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Comments

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If its going to be pinned it should not hurt when you take the cast off
  • Elfed
    FatTed wrote:
    If its going to be pinned it should not hurt when you take the cast off

That's cheered me up, have you experienced it yourself?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    What about TT clip on bars, to take the load off
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    having just had mine broken along with a bunch of other bones in the hand; doesn't matter which bike you'll get jarred. ride light/move the hand off. Biggest issue I have found is braking, grabbing a quick handful of brake just doesn't happen like it should. have to be very careful and prepared.

For the turbo TT bars are handy as they help the weight distrubition, which if in a normal position you'll compensate for leading to pains elsewhere.

And as you say the smell will be grim.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    It was interesting reading this thread, Ive had a numb pain in my left wrist for 2 or 3 weeks now and its not going away. You're starting to make me think.
    I've a Wahoo Kickr, Zwift and di2 which I'll set in sequencial so I'm hoping to use that in the interim period
    Enter Paris-Roubaix afterwards.
    When Orica Greenedge rider Mathew Hayman did the exact same thing after a broken forearm, he didn't do too badly :wink:
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Broke mine in a motorcycle crash many moons ago. I didn't have mine pinned or even cast for some reason and told to wear a splint, but it kept me from riding a motorcycle and off front line duties for quite a while. What was put to me, was that if you don't allow it to heal properly, it can have an effect on other things.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Elfed
    So, due to lack of resources my op has been put back to Friday, so still waiting.

I've not done anything about the turbo yet as I spent all last week in hospital.

From what I've been told the surgery doesn't involve a long incision so maybe I'm overthinking the post op pain thing, but that's just wishful thinking maybe.

I've definitely lost my nerve and seriously having second thoughts about riding again, purely for the amount of time I'm going to miss work.

If and I hope I do ride again I've been really fancying the Trek Domane SL 5 Gravel, seems a lovely bike with big tyres and front isospeed for blunting front end vibration, might be something to aim for?

Cheers
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Hmm, i had a decent mtb crash 4 weeks ago, thought id just sprained my thumb. Started getting pain in my wrist last thursday so went to hospital, nothing obviously broken.

Had a phone call earlier, i have an appointment at a different hospital on friday for more x-rays... That will be 4 weeks since the off...

Maybe i should have gone to hospital a few weeks ago.

It still hurts like buggery and swollen.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Elfed
    Fudgey wrote:
    Hmm, i had a decent mtb crash 4 weeks ago, thought id just sprained my thumb. Started getting pain in my wrist last thursday so went to hospital, nothing obviously broken.

Had a phone call earlier, i have an appointment at a different hospital on friday for more x-rays... That will be 4 weeks since the off...

Maybe i should have gone to hospital a few weeks ago.

It still hurts like buggery and swollen.

When I broke my wrist ten years ago X ray wasn't showing anything, had two sets two weeks apart and nothing.
    They put me in a precautionary cast then few weeks after had another and it showed up.
    If you look up anatomical snuff box, pain there is typical for a scaphoid fracture.