Etape du Tour 2018

2

Comments

  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,707
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Must admit that hadn't looked at the ASO transport in detail but asking people to book a specific time makes it a little harder. Depending on how confident you are could do a conservative timing and pick somewhere to rehydrate after finishing to relax and then not have to rush into bus back.


    I think I'd ride back, ok I don't know the route but so long as it's devoid of serious climbs or dangerous busy roads. That plan could look like a bad one if it's raining hard though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    I'm in :-) Rode last year and loved it (other than the blazing heat climbing Izoard).

    Been looking at logistics, and think I have the route planned out but am struggling to workout how to get back to Anncey from the finish? I don't mind riding but think we'll have to cross the closed road route at maybe Saint-Jean-de-Sixt and down the D909? Anyone with local knowledge have an idea how this could work? a tunnel somewhere perhaps?

    There is no alternative to the D4 between Grand Bo and St-Jean de Sixt... but given that stretch of road is fairly early in the stage I would imagine it will be open by the time most people have completed the full course and set off to return back towards Annecy. Same goes for the D909 between Thones and Annecy (which is even earlier in the stage).

    Getting into Annecy from that direction for the start will be tricky though - early start required.
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    I think I'd ride back, ok I don't know the route but so long as it's devoid of serious climbs or dangerous busy roads. That plan could look like a bad one if it's raining hard though.[/quote]

    Yep that would be pretty miserable. Hmm... wonder if riding to the start may be an option?
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    I think I'd ride back, ok I don't know the route but so long as it's devoid of serious climbs or dangerous busy roads. That plan could look like a bad one if it's raining hard though.

    Yep that would be pretty miserable. Hmm... wonder if riding to the start may be an option?

    There are two small hills between Grand Bo and Annecy - one on the D4 between GB and St Jean de Sixt and one on the D909 between Alex and Bluffy just before you reach the lake. Nothing too dramatic but it's still an extra 30km in the legs before you even start. It should take about an hour or so but again you need to bear in mind that the D909 between Thones and Annecy will probably be closed by 7am at the latest and the fast guys who start in the first wave will be on this stretch by 7.30 so there won't be much leeway from the gendarmes... there are a couple of alternative back roads after Thones but they are a bit more lumpy and definitely more circuitous...
  • Thanks cc78.

    If you were to drive part way to start where would you leave cars? Don't mind an early start and a ride in but think your right that 30k in the legs before the off would maybe be best saved for a slow ride back to the cars after.
  • Standard entries have now sold out for this. Does anyone know if they release a 2nd batch later in year or of another way of getting a place, other than through a charity or tour operator?
  • stapes789 wrote:
    Standard entries have now sold out for this. Does anyone know if they release a 2nd batch later in year or of another way of getting a place, other than through a charity or tour operator?

    Don't know I'm afraid. Good luck on getting in.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,028
    Rode a little loop taking in the Glieres climb today. Given it is east facing with rock walls reflecting the heat it could be very hard if it is hot. The climb is difficult. I wouldn't want to be doing it as part of an event with 3 other climbs.
    KNWTeqQTX5kiGS0_wlgvdnAlhmn8fKDLqW6fsXLZbRI-2048x876.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Is that the ''gravel' section you've pictured?

    What tyres were you running and how did you find it?

    I'm planning on a 25mm tubeless set up for the day which hope should be fine.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,028
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Is that the ''gravel' section you've pictured?

    What tyres were you running and how did you find it?

    I'm planning on a 25mm tubeless set up for the day which hope should be fine.

    I was on 25mm tubeless (Hutchinson Intensive). I'm assuming they'll do some work for the tour, otherwise go very easy as it was pot holed with lots of rocks. We rode at about 12km/h average (8 minutes (so 2km)) although the fastest on Strava covered it in 4m, maybe on a mountain bike?

    We also both used our 34x32 gears for the climb, which is rare; my friend Mike is a 36x25 man but took his climbing bike on my advice and was glad he did. There is a 1300 meter section which climbs 223 meters, or about 17% with some other ramps too. The climb is only around 7km but intense. It is like sticking 5 Ditchling Beacons together, only harder.

    Mike also got some grit caught in his front disk, which caused him some braking issues on the descent, which is technical but on a wide road with a good road surface.

    The climb is a bit of a horror movie, you exit the woods onto a plateau and see sky and think... that was hard but not so bad, then you turn a bend and the road ramps straight up in front of you for over a kilometer of poor tarmac at 13% average.

    We had intended to include the Croix Fry in our tour but it was raining so we cut things short. I think the Glieres after the Croix Fry would be hard but you then get some respite before the final climbs.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Thanks for the info.

    34*28 lowest in my current set up which has been fine in the alps for me so far and for the Fred/Lake District passes. Sounds like a nasty ramp that's goes on a bit and wonder if it's worth me getting a *30 on the rear, not sure
    my mech will stretch to a 32.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Thanks cc78.

    If you were to drive part way to start where would you leave cars? Don't mind an early start and a ride in but think your right that 30k in the legs before the off would maybe be best saved for a slow ride back to the cars after.

    Depends how close to the start you want to get; parking can be quite tricky around the lake and you don't want to be searching for a space etc at 6am.

    If it was me I would probably head for Alex... there are some small industrial/commercial units between the D909 and the D16, which are closed on Sundays, their car parks would be fine. From there you would have a short ride uphill to Bluffy, and then it's downhill to the lake and flat into Annecy. This saves you riding the draggy flat between Thones and Alex; park any further away than Alex and you may as well just ride all the way from Grand Bornand, by the time you factor in loading/unloading bikes to the car and so on.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,028
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

    34*28 lowest in my current set up which has been fine in the alps for me so far and for the Fred/Lake District passes. Sounds like a nasty ramp that's goes on a bit and wonder if it's worth me getting a *30 on the rear, not sure
    my mech will stretch to a 32.

    Based on the above you'll be ok on a x28. If the climb was longer I would say go lower but it is survivable. Certainly anyone used to these kind of events or who can tap out a 25 on a sporting course in around an hour will be okay.

    There are effectively 6 climbs, the Glieres is the 3rd climb of the day although two of the climbs are in the 300-350 meter range.

    I wonder what the pros will use? Probably 39x25.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • cc78 wrote:
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Thanks cc78.

    If you were to drive part way to start where would you leave cars? Don't mind an early start and a ride in but think your right that 30k in the legs before the off would maybe be best saved for a slow ride back to the cars after.

    Depends how close to the start you want to get; parking can be quite tricky around the lake and you don't want to be searching for a space etc at 6am.

    If it was me I would probably head for Alex... there are some small industrial/commercial units between the D909 and the D16, which are closed on Sundays, their car parks would be fine. From there you would have a short ride uphill to Bluffy, and then it's downhill to the lake and flat into Annecy. This saves you riding the draggy flat between Thones and Alex; park any further away than Alex and you may as well just ride all the way from Grand Bornand, by the time you factor in loading/unloading bikes to the car and so on.


    That sounds a good option. Thanks
  • davidof wrote:
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

    34*28 lowest in my current set up which has been fine in the alps for me so far and for the Fred/Lake District passes. Sounds like a nasty ramp that's goes on a bit and wonder if it's worth me getting a *30 on the rear, not sure
    my mech will stretch to a 32.

    Based on the above you'll be ok on a x28. If the climb was longer I would say go lower but it is survivable. Certainly anyone used to these kind of events or who can tap out a 25 on a sporting course in around an hour will be okay.

    There are effectively 6 climbs, the Glieres is the 3rd climb of the day although two of the climbs are in the 300-350 meter range.

    I wonder what the pros will use? Probably 39x25.

    Probably a big ring climb for them.... :twisted:

    Thanks for the info. Long day out and don't think you ever regret having that extra gear so will have a think and see how I'm feeling closer to the time.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    nice video from Mavic with a full view of what's in store... including some good shots of the gravel

    https://www.facebook.com/mavic/videos/10155217653031872/

    NB Frank Schleck's description of the Glieres climb as "8-9%" is somewhat undercooked... pay more attention to his mate who says (in French) "we're at 15... 16... 17%"
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,028
    This is a video of our climb, it was very wet so the quality is not the best. You can see all the percentages as we climb

    https://youtu.be/AF_o2kgP0tw

    if anyone wants the gpx file for the climb, pm me. You can probably put it on your home trainer and feel the burn (of the resistance unit cooking)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,028

    Here's a look at my attempt at the route ->
    https://www.strava.com/routes/10992148
    168km and 4500m (but garmin had closer to 4000)

    Andy

    I think this is closer than your route

    https://www.strava.com/routes/11154548
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    davidof wrote:
    This is a video of our climb, it was very wet so the quality is not the best. You can see all the percentages as we climb

    https://youtu.be/AF_o2kgP0tw

    if anyone wants the gpx file for the climb, pm me. You can probably put it on your home trainer and feel the burn (of the resistance unit cooking)

    Can I ask what you used for the data overlay?
  • davidof wrote:
    This is a video of our climb, it was very wet so the quality is not the best. You can see all the percentages as we climb

    https://youtu.be/AF_o2kgP0tw

    if anyone wants the gpx file for the climb, pm me. You can probably put it on your home trainer and feel the burn (of the resistance unit cooking)

    Looks a cheeky one. Short but on the steeper side. May be difficult to get into a rhythm on the day with so many on a narrow road.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,028
    narbs wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    This is a video of our climb, it was very wet so the quality is not the best. You can see all the percentages as we climb

    https://youtu.be/AF_o2kgP0tw

    if anyone wants the gpx file for the climb, pm me. You can probably put it on your home trainer and feel the burn (of the resistance unit cooking)

    Can I ask what you used for the data overlay?

    yes sure, I used the Garmin Virb edit software, it is free and reasonably easy to use. I imported the video clips as external clips then synced up with the GPS file.

    I filmed using an old Xiaomi Yi camera mounted on a go pro aluminium mount
    then I deshook with virtualdub (without the zoom setting)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Done the Etape in 2013 in Annecy and it was quite an experience and it would be nice to go back. There's some great info here, thx for that.
    Is somebody here with an entry that's not needed any more or with an Advantage code to use on the ASO site?
  • Woot! I've got sign up to both L'Etape AND the Maratona.
    And got hotels in Annecy on the night before L'Etape and 10km uphill from Badia on the night before the Maratona.

    Two rides will make the training more worthwhile.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,397
    Can anybody tell me what the feed stations are like for this? I've just won an entry and need to ensure my nutrition is sorted, I have coeliac disease so can't eat gluten and cross contamination is high up agenda.
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    Would also be interested about the location of the feeding stations..
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    cc78 wrote:
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Thanks cc78.

    If you were to drive part way to start where would you leave cars? Don't mind an early start and a ride in but think your right that 30k in the legs before the off would maybe be best saved for a slow ride back to the cars after.

    Depends how close to the start you want to get; parking can be quite tricky around the lake and you don't want to be searching for a space etc at 6am.

    If it was me I would probably head for Alex... there are some small industrial/commercial units between the D909 and the D16, which are closed on Sundays, their car parks would be fine. From there you would have a short ride uphill to Bluffy, and then it's downhill to the lake and flat into Annecy. This saves you riding the draggy flat between Thones and Alex; park any further away than Alex and you may as well just ride all the way from Grand Bornand, by the time you factor in loading/unloading bikes to the car and so on.

    just trying to sort out this for myself. Im staying the other side of the lake in Saint Jorioz. Want to get as close to the start as I can as I think im going to find this a tough one. Never been to this area, so not sure what Annecy itself is like, and no idea about the road closures either.. think we are on part of the course so not sure what it's going to be like getting to the event.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,726
    sherer wrote:
    cc78 wrote:
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Thanks cc78.

    If you were to drive part way to start where would you leave cars? Don't mind an early start and a ride in but think your right that 30k in the legs before the off would maybe be best saved for a slow ride back to the cars after.

    Depends how close to the start you want to get; parking can be quite tricky around the lake and you don't want to be searching for a space etc at 6am.

    If it was me I would probably head for Alex... there are some small industrial/commercial units between the D909 and the D16, which are closed on Sundays, their car parks would be fine. From there you would have a short ride uphill to Bluffy, and then it's downhill to the lake and flat into Annecy. This saves you riding the draggy flat between Thones and Alex; park any further away than Alex and you may as well just ride all the way from Grand Bornand, by the time you factor in loading/unloading bikes to the car and so on.

    just trying to sort out this for myself. Im staying the other side of the lake in Saint Jorioz. Want to get as close to the start as I can as I think im going to find this a tough one. Never been to this area, so not sure what Annecy itself is like, and no idea about the road closures either.. think we are on part of the course so not sure what it's going to be like getting to the event.

    I'd anticipate the lakeside road will be closed from quite early on. You could ride the bike path from St Jorioz to Annecy which misses the road until you reach Annecy itself. Parking in Annecy itself is fairly limited. If you have to drive you'll either need to go over the Semnoz or try the D192 + other back roads to get to the D41. Riding in will be your easiest solution.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Thanks for that, just looked it up and it's less than I thought, only 8k so a nice little warm up , test of the bike. Although not sure exactly where in Annecy the start is.

    Might stash the car at the end instead as that's far further from where we staying
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,726
    https://www.facebook.com/etapedutour/ph ... 20/?type=3

    Start is on the road that passes the park that is on the edge of the lake. Once you get to Annecy you just follow the main road with the old town on your left and follow it around the lake, until you see the signs to your start area. You won't be able to miss it. Start is next to where you'll pick up your bib number etc.