Posterior knee pain?

handful
handful Posts: 920
I am fortunate enough to never have experienced any major knee pain before but in my last 2 rides I have had some significant pain under the knee, right in the crook. A quick "google" suggests it's usually due to an over-extension of the knee caused by having the saddle too high but I have not changed my saddle height in the 3 years since having a retul fit. I did make another adjustment though, flipping the stem after finally succumbing to a desire to do so ever since having the fit done. I did well to persevere for so long but with a century ride planned for last Saturday I decided to flip the stem before the ride I did the previous week. I can't see that my knee pain can be anything other than a coincidence but would appreciate it if you could share some views on this ?

The first ride that I experienced the issue was a 60 miler and I started to feel it around half way. It was more of an ache than a distinct "pull", I actually thought it felt how I would imagine a blood clot would feel. I didn't think too much of it but after sitting down for a couple of hours post shower I got up and could only walk with a pronounced limp. The pain subsided steadily throughout the week and by Saturday I decided to give my century ride a go but threw in a 75 mile "bail out" route option in case my knee gave me problems. At the start of the ride I could "feel" something (not pain but the start of pain) in the same area very slightly but carried on and did the 75 mile option but with the assistance of some paracetamol as the pain level increased. (I know this wasn't particularly sensible but the ride was important to me!) Again the knee didn't feel too bad immediately afterwards but yesterday and again this morning it's pretty painful again. There is no obvious swelling or anything like that, has anyone got any suggestions as to what it could be? I guess the only thing to do is rest it properly this time and then try again in maybe 2-3 weeks?

Sorry for rambling but thanks in advance.
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Get to a physio.

They will give you some exercises to strengthen other muscles around the knee area. Stretch everywhere post ride - but especially the hamstrings.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Flipping your stem maybe had you sitting further back on the saddle, effectively putting it a bit "high"? Personally before I put money on a physio I'd lower the saddle a few mm and see how it feels.
  • handful
    kingrollo wrote:
    Get to a physio.

They will give you some exercises to strengthen other muscles around the knee area. Stretch everywhere post ride - but especially the hamstrings.

Yeh I've thought about doing that and may call him tomorrow, I have a great physio to ask, thanks. Was just trying to save a few quid!!
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    maryka wrote:
    Flipping your stem maybe had you sitting further back on the saddle, effectively putting it a bit "high"? Personally before I put money on a physio I'd lower the saddle a few mm and see how it feels.

I really don't think my bottom half position has changed, I have an SMP saddle that I need to sit on fairly precisely to be comfy and an aero seat post that I really don't want to lower if I can help it! Thanks for the suggestion though, it's appreciated!
    Orbea Rise
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If flipping the stem made the front end lower you'd be needing to stretch the hamstrings to accommodate the extra bend - hence potentially risking tendonitis at the back of the knee and/or pes anserine bursitis. If you've flipped it so the bars are higher then it's probably coincidence - unless the different posture is causing you to pedal differently??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • handful
    Svetty wrote:
    If flipping the stem made the front end lower you'd be needing to stretch the hamstrings to accommodate the extra bend - hence potentially risking tendonitis at the back of the knee and/or pes anserine bursitis. If you've flipped it so the bars are higher then it's probably coincidence - unless the different posture is causing you to pedal differently??

I flipped to make the front end higher and feel like there has been no change to my lower position at all so I agree it must be a coincidence. I've decided to have a break this weekend and will try again next week with a 30-40 miler and see how it is then. If it comes back I will go an see a physio as suggested earlier by kingrollo.

Thanks for the opinion, it's much appreciated.
    Orbea Rise
  • thebosh
    thebosh Posts: 8
    I had something similar to this a few months back found resistance band training helped.