How many watts to knock 30s of 10 miles?

2»

Comments

• I echo the above, more effort on the positive gradients and less effort on the negative gradients. Think of a TT like a 20 to 30 minute "over/under" interval workout. You go to or slightly above ftp for X minutes, then slightly below for X minutes, and repeat.

If you research the course ahead of time you can even train the over/unders on a turbo for where you know the inclines and declines will be. Of course wind be damned on that one since you can't predict it.

The scientist like guy above is probably mostly right depending on what your ftp is. When doing an under/over workout you go under FTP by about 10% on the "under" part and go equal to 10% above on the "over". Longer intervals you go equal to, shorter you go over. Doing the same due to inclines and declines in a TT would probably work.

Example
    3x12min of 2U/2O (I'd do this at 210 and 240w), this has 6 minutes of "over"
    vs.
    3x12min of 2U/1O (I'd do this at 220 and 250w), this only has 4 minutes of "over"
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    A few bits of data from my last tt. The course it approximately 4 nearly equal sections.

Average power = 300, 93 rpm
    Q1 (gentle drag) = 311 W
    Q2 (short downhill followed by gentle downhill) = 281 W
    Q3 (drag and bump) = 312 W
    Q4 (gentle downhill) = 293 W

Total ascent, approx 60 m

Aerolab Chung analysis in GC... not clean data. There was a little wind and traffic. But, CdA perhaps in the range 0.34-0.36. So, somewhat brick like.

So, looking closely, my perception of overdoing it on the drag and climb is not right. Maybe, a little more varyance between the drag and the gentle downhill. But, I think aero is my weakness.
  • Aero is definitely your weakness, as mentioned above there are folk doing 19s on 300w. I've managed to do a long 18 from just 330w. Depending what course you're riding on, I would expect you could probably shave a few minutes off that time by looking at the right kit and position.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    whatleytom wrote:
    Aero is definitely your weakness, as mentioned above there are folk doing 19s on 300w. I've managed to do a long 18 from just 330w. Depending what course you're riding on, I would expect you could probably shave a few minutes off that time by looking at the right kit and position.

Thanks. I'll make that a priority.