Tyres

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited November 2017 in Commuting chat
I've always been a Gatorskin user on my commute, but before I splash out on some 28s for the new wet weather bike is there any other brands I should be looking at?

I want puncture protection mainly, but I'd like it to roll well as well, so no Tannus recommendations please!
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I find Gatorskins slippery so prefer their GP4Seasons cousins.

You might want to try Durano Plus, which CJCP swears by.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2017
    Durano Plus are brilliant; they're what we all thought we were getting when we bought GP 4 Seasons a few years back. Same durability as Gatorskins, but a lot closer to GP4000 in grip/feel. GP4000 are still a bit nicer to ride, but Durano Plus are most of the way there...

Edit: My Durano Plus are sufficiently puncture-resistant that if I spot a bit of glass embedded in the tyre when I stop at the lights, I only make a half-a*sed attempt to get it out; if I can't get it out without getting off the bike and before the lights change, I leave it until I get home...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I think Durano plus are only available in rigid if you want 28s. I had some and liked them, even if they were a bit heavier than the folding 25s. I had Michelin pro 4 endurance last winter.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always had 25mm GP4 seasons as a winter tyre. Recommended by the shop I bought my first bike from and I just replace with the same when they wear out. Impressive puncture protection; cannot remember the last time I punctured on the winter bike, and there's always plenty of pointy crap stuck in the tyres when I check. And equally important, cold / wet weather grip is really good. Only downsides are that they do wear quicker than I'd prefer, and the cost of replacements always makes me wince.

So I too may try some Durano Plus next....
  • j_mcd
    Just looking at wiggle, the Duranos seem to be double the weight of the 4 Seasons. Or am I misreading something?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Durano 28s are rigid, as per my post above.
  • j_mcd
    Oops, missed that. Can't actually remember the last time I bought a rigid tyre. Might have to give the 4Seasons a go then.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Michelin Power All Season.

Like the GP 4 Season with better grip IMO.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Conti 4Seasons are good and I never actually got a puncture on them, but I found they only lasted about a year as the tread starts to break up a lot (which is why I replaced them). I now use 28mm GP4000 as my front tyre (been going well for over 2 years) and 28mm Michelin Power All Season as my rear (had since Easter). The Michelin seems to roll better than the 4Seasons, but it remains to be seen if they are more durable. It is also a completely slick tyre, so shouldn't break up like the 4Seasons did.
  • Ive had Schwalbe One clinchers on for the past 6/7 months wet and dry riding. They have picked up a few nicks in them but so far nothing more. Very good rolling tyre in my opinion and comfyish too. Ive found that they operate better at lower pressures e.g 80 front and 85 rear (im 64kgs) because when I pumped them up north of 90 psi they became abit sketchy.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i've just popped on a set of clement strada LGG the 120 tpi version, i'm looking for a replacement to my vittoria pave which have been discontinued, i'm down to my last three with any grip, hopefully the clements will prove just as rock solid and wear a bit better.

28c rear / 25c on the front
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I am on Ones too, and i like how they roll. I had a big scare on Saturday coming down hill around damp Ranmore, every time i'd touch rear (disc) brake i was fishtailing which is not nice on a busy road. It's probably more of my lack of braking technique, but i am now considering putting 28mm on the back and run lower pressure.
  • frogonabike
    frogonabike Posts: 157
    edited September 2017
    Ive had Schwalbe One clinchers on for the past 6/7 months wet and dry riding. They have picked up a few nicks in them but so far nothing more. Very good rolling tyre in my opinion and comfyish too. Ive found that they operate better at lower pressures e.g 80 front and 85 rear (im 64kgs) because when I pumped them up north of 90 psi they became abit sketchy.

+1 on the One's

I have used 25 Pro One's tubeless on the roady and 28 V-Guards on the commuter. Both are lovely supple tyres, my only criticism is the compound does seem very soft and attracts small sharp objects and cuts. I definitely prefer to enjoy the ride and fix a puncture every 700 ish miles (on the commuter, no problems tubeless). People seem to get hung up about it but it literally takes 5 minutes to find the culprit and stick a tube in.. once every couple of months... a price I'm willing to pay for a sweet ride every day!

Also, not sure now but you could pick up the old V-Guards for £20 which is a bargain!

EDIT: Also tried the Clements and found them similar to the One's in terms of wear and punctures but not quite as sweet handling. Although the chevrons made me feel slightly more confident on the gravelly bits of my commute, whether that was all in the mind or not I couldn't tell you!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    that's why i use tyres with a bit of profiled tread, might be snake oil but i've only had one wheel spin with the pave and that was going up the Koppenberg on a muddy patch
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    that's why i use tyres with a bit of profiled tread, might be snake oil but i've only had one wheel spin with the pave and that was going up the Paterberg on a muddy patch

True that! I was VERY impressed with the G-Ones and was particularly impressed with the rolling speed of a pair of 38's! Just don't fit with my skinny mudguards unfortunately so may try some 30's this winter
  • I'll be swapping out my 28mm Grand Sport Races from the Voodoo to the Cube soon (presuming their ~31mm bead to bead size fits) and then equipping the Voodoo with either my existing 38mm Marathon Cross* or 2.35" G-Ones.

* http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCMRCFOL ... -raceguard a bargain at ~£16 each using the current promo basket code, mine cost ~£20 each from NextDayTyres before the Brexit vote results. Not light, but they roll very well and have hardly worn while being borrowed over the summer.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I love Durano Plus but I only run 25s, they're so tough I don't even bother picking the glass out of them any more.

The rear one is coming up to 5000 miles now and the blue is showing through now so I'll pop a new one on this weekend or next so it's scrubbed in before the winter comes.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    J_MCD wrote:
    Oops, missed that. Can't actually remember the last time I bought a rigid tyre. Might have to give the 4Seasons a go then.

Or get them in 25mm folding? That's what I'll probably try.
  • Used to use Gators but dumped them after several skittish moments in the rain. Now use 28mm gp4000's all year round and find I am averaging around 1 puncture per 2000 miles or so. Using Stan's latex filler helps.
    Of course I have now invited the intervention of the puncture fairy....
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    28mm GP4S last a lot better than 25s if you can fit them.

Tried the Duranos - absolute b*stard to get on. Felt sluggish and grip felt a lot worse than the contis.

May have to give the Michelins a go.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Schwalbe marathon plus. They run over anything without problems (at least so far about 3500 miles). But they weigh a ton. From September to March I'd rather the ride be more sluggish, losing a few minutes on the commute, than farting about with tyre changes once a fortnight.
  • Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28C are lush, wouldn't have any other tyre for commuting now after a year or two on Gatorskins
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:

Yep. Blue strip is now showing on the rear after a few emergency stop-style skids, but they're great. Will look at Marathons for the crosser for the winter.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yep. Blue strip is now showing on the rear after a few emergency stop-style skids, but they're great. Will look at Marathons for the crosser for the winter.
    re Durano Plus: I also swear by them, as does TGOTB I think. I've just replaced my front after 17k miles
    (btw good to see you yesterday CJ)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • Rubinos Pros, bargain compared to all this other stuff. Once they finally go (about 10k), they do go down hill fast.

Far better grip than skaterskins which really vary from my experience. 4Seasons seem to be gp4000's with puncture protection so wear very fast but offer better grip.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rower63 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

re Durano Plus: I also swear by them, as does TGOTB I think. I've just replaced my front after 17k miles
    (btw good to see you yesterday CJ)

Likewise. Good to catch up.

Finally spoke to Ryan W this week, too. Been quite a sociable week so far, certainly by my standards anyway.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Rubinos Pros, bargain compared to all this other stuff. Once they finally go (about 10k), they do go down hill fast.

Far better grip than skaterskins which really vary from my experience. 4Seasons seem to be gp4000's with puncture protection so wear very fast but offer better grip.
    All I ever use also.
    I very rarely get visits, they last ages and they're cheap.

I've tried others, I found gatorskins to be incredibly difficult to get on the rim, has sidewalls go and had PF visits.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I'm on Conti Grand Prix GTs, which are billed as being somewhere between Gatorskins and GP4000s. No punctures and look like new after 1000 miles. You get the grippy black chilli compound so less skittish than gators, but with increased puncture protection compared to the 4000s.

Seem to be something of a rarity, never seen anyone else using or talking about them!
    Rules are for fools.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Waddlie wrote:
    I'm on Conti Grand Prix GTs, which are billed as being somewhere between Gatorskins and GP4000s. No punctures and look like new after 1000 miles. You get the grippy black chilli compound so less skittish than gators, but with increased puncture protection compared to the 4000s.

Seem to be something of a rarity, never seen anyone else using or talking about them!

Ignore. Thought you were talking about conti 4 seasons.
  • j_mcd
    Went for the Conti 4 seasons in the end. Seems to be a real mix of opinion coming forward, and I'd pressed the trigger before the wave of love for Duranos started washing over.

Fitted them last night, went on very easily which is great. No trial yet though as they're on the wet weather bike and it was lovely and dry this morning.