bike for the mountains.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I,m again taking part in an event in France next year that requires a tremendous amount of climbing in one day. I,ve done the event once on a hired bike but this time i want to take my own bike with me.Really i,m looking at a triple with 30T front and ideally a cassette with 32 or 34t . If anybody knows any bikes or models that fit this criteria please let me know it,s much appreciated.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Would a touring bike suffice, if you're looking for 'off the peg'?
  • ademort
    Garry H wrote:
    Would a touring bike suffice, if you're looking for 'off the peg'?

No it needs to be as light as possible.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • very difficult to recommend a triple these days as there are so few about, apart from touring bikes that is. I personally would look at other options like a compact with an 11-34 cassette or go with a sub-compact, a 48/32 chainset.
    This might be a worthwhile read....
    http://road.cc/content/tech-news/215679 ... t-chainset

I'll add that I am biased, I ride off-road as well as on road and the 46/32 is much more common on off-road bikes. My first ever road bike was a triple, I have nothing against them just don't know any decent bikes that run them.

Edit - just noted the comment about going light. In that case I would be looking at an Emonda with a 50-34 and a 34 cassette. I've not done the Sheldon Brown gear calculations, but pretty sure a 34-34 would be a very low gear indeed.
  • ademort
    w00dster wrote:
    very difficult to recommend a triple these days as there are so few about, apart from touring bikes that is. I personally would look at other options like a compact with an 11-34 cassette or go with a sub-compact, a 48/32 chainset.
    This might be a worthwhile read....
    http://road.cc/content/tech-news/215679 ... t-chainset

I'll add that I am biased, I ride off-road as well as on road and the 46/32 is much more common on off-road bikes. My first ever road bike was a triple, I have nothing against them just don't know any decent bikes that run them.

Edit - just noted the comment about going light. In that case I would be looking at an Emonda with a 50-34 and a 34 cassette. I've not done the Sheldon Brown gear calculations, but pretty sure a 34-34 would be a very low gear indeed.

I agrre with your comments about triples. I,m just looking today on the net and there is almost nothing of any quality out there.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Emonda with SRAM eTap

https://www.sram.com/stories/etap-facto ... 1s5froq9r4

Plenty to choose from
  • Pick the bike you want then fit a 48/32 chain set and 11-32 cassette? Think they're fairly easy to get hold of these days, if it's a new bike purchase the shop should fit it for you.

EDIT: Looking online, for instance a really light bike like the Dolan Tuono can be spec' d with 50/34 and 11-34 gearing. A 1:1 ratio escape gear should get you over most paved climbs right?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Assuming you are not racing then don't get obsessed with weight.
    Comfort is much more important on a long climb.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    ademort wrote:
    I,m again taking part in an event in France next year that requires a tremendous amount of climbing in one day.
    how much climbing?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ademort
    davidof wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    I,m again taking part in an event in France next year that requires a tremendous amount of climbing in one day.
    how much climbing?

Six times up Alp D,huez
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pffft. Go fixed ?
  • Garry H
    Pennyfarthing, youll be fine.

Go 1x. 40x42. That should do it
  • ademort
    cougie wrote:
    Pffft. Go fixed ?

No way cougie. I want to get down as quick as i can there is a time limit. Also i saw last time that some of the competitors are terrible at descending and i,d never get past them.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Electric bike ?
  • ademort
    cougie wrote:
    Electric bike ?

Brilliant Cougie :D however you are supposed to pedal yourself. Also an electric bike would never make the time limit with a minimum of 2+ hours to recharge each climb would it :?
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Garry H
    Just buy whatever bike you hired last time. Aren't you overthinking this a bit?
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Are you going to be riding the Vieil Alpe route? https://www.strava.com/segments/652851
    Average 9% grade that seems pretty steady. Surely a compact 34-50 with a 11-32 would be fine. However it might be nicer to have 11-36, and a Tiagra long cage will work with an 11-36 mountain bike cassette. I did an Everesting with that setup, with a max 20% gradient. Or you could try a 105 long cage with 11-36, not entirely sure if that will work as I haven't tried it. Even a short cage 105/Ultegra/Dura Ace would work with a road link https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink.

However if it were me I'd get a Carbon fibre bike like a Spec Tarmac, Fuji SL, or Cannondale SuperSix EVO on discount with all SRAM red etap or Force depending on budget with 11-32 and compact. Maybe something like this: https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV302416. Then I'd switch out the front chainrings and cassette if need be and change the skewers and some other stuff to titanium. Try to keep the weight down to 7kg or less, but this is only worthwhile if you can keep your BMI to under 25, or ideally 23.

Obviously it all comes down to budget. How much do you want to spend?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Why noy just buy a bike then fit a triple.

(Buy new crank front mech & left sti)
  • ademort
    Garry H wrote:
    Just buy whatever bike you hired last time. Aren't you overthinking this a bit?

Bike i had last time was a Trek Domane but i don,t know which model. Can,t find a Trek Domane triple on the net anywhere?
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Triples aren't trendy thats why they have brought out theese stupidly over priced super compacts:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... sts-48974/
  • Have a play with this part of the Trek website, i used to have the Trek Domane 2.0 triple as a winter / commuter.

http://archive.trekbikes.com/uk/en/2014
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    ademort wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    how much climbing?

Six times up Alp D,huez

Sounds dreadful.

I wouldn't be too worried about weight, any half decent bike will be fine.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Talk to mean red spider he has done this event before
  • ademort
    FatTed wrote:
    Talk to mean red spider he has done this event before

I,ve also done this event before. I know what i need. Triple 30 front and at least 30 rear . However i would like to fit 32 or 34 rear if possible. As i,ve said theres almost nothing out there any more with that spec.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Surely most mountain bike chainsets will fit on a road bike?
    Add a long rear derailleur, cassette and go!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Campagnolo Athena triple groupsets are still available. Buy a frame that fits you and buy the groupset. job done.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • My Spesh Diverge Comp has a 32/32 bottom gear. Not sure it's going to be light enough though.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Surely a 34/32 would be low enough? I've not been up the Alp six times but I've done Ventoux 3 times (which is about the same amount of climbing) with a 34/28 and honestly didn't really want a lower range. Cut as much weight as possible (both you and bike) and crack on.

First two km of the climb are tough but after that it's a nice 7-8% all the way up.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Stueys wrote:
    Surely a 34/32 would be low enough? I've not been up the Alp six times but I've done Ventoux 3 times (which is about the same amount of climbing) with a 34/28 and honestly didn't really want a lower range. Cut as much weight as possible (both you and bike) and crack on.

First two km of the climb are tough but after that it's a nice 7-8% all the way up.
    I've done a few Everestings and my thoughts are entirely the same as yours. Honestly I think I'd be OK with a 34 and 11-28 on an average 9% gradient, well at least the first couple of trips up.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Stueys wrote:

Assuming you climbed from Sault on the 3rd ascent it's not quite the same as the Alpe when you're knackered. Having said this a 1:1 ratio should be enough...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Any new bike with the new ultegra 8000 series groupset can take a 34t at the back.. i would imagine a 50/34 with a 34 at the back would be ideal.. or buy the bike that you really want and fit a different rear mech and cassette..