London Terror Attack on Tube (Fri 15th Sep 2017)

2»

Comments

• He also wants to restrict use of the internet - errr, restrict which parts me wonders?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Dinyull wrote:
    The classic line that raised some eyebrows at work was the woman who said she had to stand on a child to run away.

FFS, you don't go standing and running on kiddies.

Was she trying to beat the rush on french lentils?

I'm not usually sensitive in this regard, lads, but when did it become appropriate to scoff at people's personal accounts of this morning? Or take the p1ss, based on what I can only imagine is a stereotype of Londoners?

10am? Nearer to lunchtime?

Come on now.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dinyull wrote:
    The classic line that raised some eyebrows at work was the woman who said she had to stand on a child to run away.

shhh - don't say things like that - Rick will get all angry.

I'm sure you'd take it as well as I am if I was joking about people involved in a bombing of your neighbourhood 7hrs afterwards 8)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Before it blows out of proportion:

My bad. Dark humour. Too soon.

I will also add, trampling kids is not on no matter what is happening. I'd like to think I'd stop to help the injured and vulnerable before just ploughing ahead.
  • rick_chasey
    Dinyull wrote:
    Before it blows out of proportion:

My bad. Dark humour. Too soon.

I will also add, trampling kids is not on no matter what is happening. I'd like to think I'd stop to help the injured and vulnerable before just ploughing ahead.

TBF, on a crowded tube, when the kids take the tube it's pretty easy to walk into them since they're so short.

Happens all the time; even I struggle and i'm about half a foot lower to the ground than most people.

Let alone after a bomb has gone off.

You do get a lot of kids under 12 taking that line to school.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

I'm not usually sensitive in this regard, lads, but when did it become appropriate to scoff at people's personal accounts of this morning? Or take the p1ss, based on what I can only imagine is a stereotype of Londoners?

10am? Nearer to lunchtime?

Come on now.

IT wasn't scoffing - it was disgust.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Given today's incident and the Grenfell Tower fire; Is the country completely unprepared in the ebvent of any large scale 'incident'?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Garry H wrote:
    Given today's incident and the Grenfell Tower fire; Is the country completely unprepared in the ebvent of any large scale 'incident'?
    Eh?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:
    My guess would be lone nutter with whatever extremist view who read an online bomb making guide and made a bit of a hash of it. Not that it's a consolation to those who got injured, hopefully everyone can make a full recovery.

It sounds like many injuries may have resulted from the crush whilst escaping. I'm surprised that they were apparently told to run by officials, that seems contrary to every bit of official advice I've ever heard. I'm sure in reality it's the instinct of anyone in that situation but it needs those in charge to try to maintain calm.

I know it sounds weird because the advice for how to react to fires or emergencies has always been dont run, stay calm etc etc.But I genuinely believe,because I remember thinking at the time thats a different tack, the official government advice came out after the Manchester attack and was repeated after Barcelona, was that if you found yourself caught up in a terror attack situation, you run, albeit run to a place of safety but how can you tell whats safe or not. and how you tell the difference between a fire,and a terror attack like this I dont know.

but yeah the advice is definitely run
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    awavey wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    My guess would be lone nutter with whatever extremist view who read an online bomb making guide and made a bit of a hash of it. Not that it's a consolation to those who got injured, hopefully everyone can make a full recovery.

It sounds like many injuries may have resulted from the crush whilst escaping. I'm surprised that they were apparently told to run by officials, that seems contrary to every bit of official advice I've ever heard. I'm sure in reality it's the instinct of anyone in that situation but it needs those in charge to try to maintain calm.

I know it sounds weird because the advice for how to react to fires or emergencies has always been dont run, stay calm etc etc.But I genuinely believe,because I remember thinking at the time thats a different tack, the official government advice came out after the Manchester attack and was repeated after Barcelona, was that if you found yourself caught up in a terror attack situation, you run, albeit run to a place of safety but how can you tell whats safe or not. and how you tell the difference between a fire,and a terror attack like this I dont know.

Many years ago i was in a riot, its the Mob and the Mob rules as the song goes, no-one would have had a scooby if thye'd trampled a kid woman or someone in a 'chair.
    this is born out in research into who survives disasters, its fit and strong young men!
    Easy sitting in front of k/b, we can all take the moral high ground but who knows how they d react? survival kicks in and i doubt anyone wants to be a dead hero.

what gets me is that in these days of heightened security, you carry about a bucket in a bag. leave it in the tube, walk off and no one sees a thing.
  • rjsterry
    In a densely packed train, only the 3 or 4 people immediately adjacent would see something if they looked up from their Metro/phone. I'm sure the Met will have interviewed at least one or two of those passengers as unfortunately they are probably the ones in hospital. They may well have not publicised what they know.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    I'd be amazed if the security services don't already know who they are looking for, if they didn't they would have an image that they'd be circulating. They're presumably either trying to track them down or following them to see if anyone else is involved.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    mamba80 wrote:

Many years ago i was in a riot, its the Mob and the Mob rules as the song goes, no-one would have had a scooby if thye'd trampled a kid woman or someone in a 'chair.
    this is born out in research into who survives disasters, its fit and strong young men!
    Easy sitting in front of k/b, we can all take the moral high ground but who knows how they d react? survival kicks in and i doubt anyone wants to be a dead hero.

what gets me is that in these days of heightened security, you carry about a bucket in a bag. leave it in the tube, walk off and no one sees a thing.

Who's taking the moral high ground? My surprise was that people were apparently told to run not that they did run which I suspect is the instinct for many if not most people.
  • rjsterry
    Don't think he's referring to you, Pross.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Well I got evacuated this arvo.

Seems it was a hoax.

TBH having to keep hysterical family members in check is something I dread infinitely more than any actual attack.

Not fun.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    From your office building, Rick? Or your flat? A shop?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:
    From your office building, Rick? Or your flat? A shop?

Flat.

All good now, since I'm on holiday 8)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    mamba80 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    Pross wrote:

When in London last year for one of the 3 NFL games, Kings Cross tube station got evacuated. Fire alarm went off and people panicking to get out.

Bloke with his 5/6 year old kid and a big suitcase got stuck at the bottom of an escalator with people trampling all over them to get past.

We emergency stopped the thing, helped them from the floor and I carried the crying lad out (for some reason the bloke trusted me with his kid, not the bag).
  • Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    My friend who was on the tube when it happened has finally got her stuff back. For some reason it was packed in a an Aldi bag.