What bag for hiding phone?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at small bag options for storing my phone out of sight in when cycling. The basic options are handlebar, rack top and saddle mounts. I don't want to carry the phone on me in a pocket. So what's the best small bag option for a phone and a large bunch of keys? I've already got several phone mounts but they shout, "Steal me!", hence, I want the phone completely hidden from view.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    1. Ziplok bag in a cycling jersey pocket. Apparently not an option but I can't see why.
    2. Saddlebag.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-tool-s ... =100282792

check size of phone, should be ok up to 60mm max width
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Your ballbag … Man up and assume no one wants your poxy phone ... ffs, you have pockets, the option of a saddle bag, or worse, a stem/bar mount ... Which one of those does not allow you to take your phone with you when you dismount?
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • type:epyt wrote:
    Your ballbag … Man up and assume no one wants your poxy phone ... ffs, you have pockets, the option of a saddle bag, or worse, a stem/bar mount ... Which one of those does not allow you to take your phone with you when you dismount?

Don't be so angry! It's a £900 phone so there's plenty of people who would want to nick it. Putting stuff in pockets is soooooooo yester-year. It's a very large phone with a large, heavy leather cover (Kevlar filled) so weighs a ton. I don't want to look like a pro road cyclist with pockets full of stuff. I might get pick-pocketed if I could actually get the phone into a pocket. :mrgreen:
  • £900 for a phone? Blimey.

How about getting a spare phone for doing bicycling and stuff?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Mad for spending 900 quid on a phone but there you go, id be tempted to by a cheap PAYG to take with me and leave it at home. only need it to make a call or text while on the bike?

I get the concern but are you not more likely to get mugged using it on the street?
  • pblakeney
    As people are saying, you have chosen the wrong phone for cycling.
    Replacement, or a second phone is the logical option. Who needs a tablet when out for a pedal?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    rumbataz wrote:
    So what's the best small bag option for a phone and a large bunch of keys?

As others have said - leave the phone at home. As for keys, why do you need to take so many keys with you?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Perfect and well hidden.

s-l225.jpg
  • rumbataz wrote:
    type:epyt wrote:
    Your ballbag … Man up and assume no one wants your poxy phone ... ffs, you have pockets, the option of a saddle bag, or worse, a stem/bar mount ... Which one of those does not allow you to take your phone with you when you dismount?

Don't be so angry! It's a £900 phone so there's plenty of people who would want to nick it. Putting stuff in pockets is soooooooo yester-year. It's a very large phone with a large, heavy leather cover (Kevlar filled) so weighs a ton. I don't want to look like a pro road cyclist with pockets full of stuff. I might get pick-pocketed if I could actually get the phone into a pocket. :mrgreen:

Having a £900 phone isn't any better than half the teenagers around here and they seem to cope without being pickpocketed ... Or does your cycle route take you through the bustling street markets of Marakesh?

Take your phone out of the bulletproof cover (unless your route also takes in the foothills of Afghanistan) and put it in a freezerbag in your back pocket to keep it rain/sweat free and get on with it ...

You are over thinking this by a long way ... What do you do when you walk down the street? Have a security detail walk 10 paces behind?

Btw, not at all angry, just flabbergasted at your paranoia and sheer lack of common sense ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As per other comments a cheap PAYG phone is a better idea.
  • One other reason for putting the phone in your pocket: If, like me you have an off that leaves you i) separated from your bike and ii) unable to get up, its quite handy to be able get at your phone to call an ambulance!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Muggers must be incredibly good round your way if they can tell your phone from a big standard one as you ride past.
    Sounds a bit silly having to fit a bulky bag Just to take your phone. Ziplock and pocket works for the rest of us.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I am an old git but I do try to take advantage of modern technology. Can someone give me a brief clue as to what a £900 phone can do that my free samsung J56 ( with 12 month contract, £12.50/month for more calls, text and data that I will ever use ) can not do?
  • pblakeney
    The £900 one will put yours in the shade.
    Literally.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    At £900 think your pockets been picked already chap . Look at it from another view buy a cheaper
    Version that does the same and use the £900 when you feel the need to impress !
    Whoops who did that!
  • Think the faux leather batman option would be more in keeping
  • I am using belt bag for storing my mobile phone (5.5") and wallet and my keys and some wet towels.
  • pblakeney
    A support vehicle?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Flasher wrote:
    Perfect and well hidden.

s-l225.jpg

That is simply gorgeous! I want! :mrgreen:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Unless the phone includes an Espresso machine and toaster it isn't worth £900. If you can afford to blow £900 on a phone of all things then you can easily afford to replace it if it gets nicked! But I recommend the somewhat radical solution of putting it in a pocket. :)

(I find this slightly bizarre - I've never worried that anything I carry will be nicked whilst I'm actually cycling. It's the parked bit I worry about. Mind you, I've just been touring in Norway and I got so fed up with the weather and my fitness for a few days that I deliberately didn't lock the bike when I went shopping in the hope that it would get nicked!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rolf F wrote:
    But I recommend the somewhat radical solution of putting it in a pocket. :)

This completely. I don't get what the issue is with putting the phone in the rear pockets, leaving it to do its job of being there for phone calls if you need it. Buy a cycling computer and leave the phone to do what it does best, make phone calls.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    rumbataz wrote:
    It's a very large phone with a large, heavy leather cover (Kevlar filled) so weighs a ton. I don't want to look like a pro road cyclist with pockets full of stuff.

Leaving aside the wisdom of actually buying a phone for £900, I don't know you but, even so, I doubt that anybody would ever mistake you for a pro road cyclist no matter how full of stuff you managed to pack your pockets.

As an aside, I've carried my own mobiles of various sizes in war zones where real bullets fly and I have never felt the need to dress them up in a 'large, heavy leather cover (Kevlar filled)' but I suppose that I have kept them inside my body armour which amounts to the same thing and I wouldn't fancy cycling in that either.

The solution is simple - downsize with a cheaper phone for rides.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • pblakeney
    Also, pro riders don't have stuffed pockets, they have support vehicles.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ^ Armed support? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I've ordered a very pretty handlebar/saddle bag. The ones from the main cycle shopping sites were a bit utilitarian and put function before form. I'm always looking for form before function and found a site that sells pretty cycling accessories. Sorted!
  • pblakeney
    ^^^^
    Doesn't surprise me. Not in the slightest.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I carried mine in a top tube bag for awhile until I realized it may be out of reach in a crash and certainly when I walk away from the bike...so, ziplock bag and jersey pocket. Keep in mind also, that bags exposed to the sun capture a great deal of internal heat (especially those with the clear plastic see thru...my gps often baked to stupid in one I had previously), so when you carry yours in the bag you may want to consider turning it off to prevent overheating, at least until you've tried the bag a couple of times in sun...that may or may not impact your ride depending on apps you plan to use. Experiences and opinions may vary.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    We need a picture of the bag now. It sounds delightful.
  • It's gorgeous, mate. As soon as I receive it in the post I'll take some photos for all of you lot on here. I know everyone on here will gaze adoringly at it. :mrgreen: