Lymington

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited September 2017 in The bottom bracket
Anyone here know Lymington? Thinking of buying a crib there but never been.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    No. Looks nice enough though
  • Agree. Shall I buy something there? Must admit to not even really being sure as to where it is but it' looks better than Milton Keynes.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I was at university in Southampton. I went to Lymington a couple of times with ex Mrs H while we were students. I remember having stuffed potato skins in a pub, and thinking I'd reached the height of culinary sophistication. That would have been 1994. It might have changed since then.
  • Garry H
    hopkinb wrote:
    I was at university in Southampton. I went to Lymington a couple of times with ex Mrs H while we were students. I remember having stuffed potato skins in a pub, and thinking I'd reached the height of culinary sophistication. That would have been 1994. It might have changed since then.

No, it's still the height of your culinary sophistication if you're chomping on KFC!!
  • Garry H
    It has a motor museum
  • hopkinb wrote:

Allegedly there is also a nice farmers' market on a Saturday.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    Garry H wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

No, it's still the height of your culinary sophistication if you're chomping on KFC!!

I had a bite. Put the rest back to be warmed through for the boy's lunch tomorrow. He probably won't get salmonella. I had toast with peanut butter in a fit of pique.
  • I moored my boat there once

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Colleagues parents have sold their house and have retired down there, as has a former director. Are you retiring?
    Not as in shy and retiring, are you being pensioned off? Is the knee that bad?
  • Oh no, still in, but found some cash down the back of the couch so looking for something to spunk it on apart from whores and coke.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Oh no, still in, but found some cash down the back of the couch so looking for something to spunk it on apart from whores and coke.

This?

orcaaerofeature.jpg
  • Git.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed that. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeed it, don't you hear. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

It's luveeeeeeerrrrly.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Gaz - buy one then I'll swap you it for Dirk.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Gaz - buy one then I'll swap you it for Dirk.

Sounds too good to be true.

I bet the Orbea makes a whooshing sound
  • Mr Goos part of the world - pm him.
    As above, ok to live not great to get to civilisation in/out. And by civilisation I mean Southampton and Beyond?
    And if Southampton is your idea of civilisation, you're fucked.
    Basically, buying down South is a waste of money...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Agree. Shall I buy something there? Must admit to not even really being sure as to where it is but it' looks better than Milton Keynes.

Elevate your sights.

Everywhere looks better than Milton Keynes.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Edge of the new forest? I hear they just luuurve cyclists down there.
  • Cool - cheers guys: much appreciated.

Would only be holiday house as we have friends and family in Bournemouth/Southampton/Portsmouth, be rented out the rest of the time.

Sell it in 10 years then spunk cash on whores and coke.

If not Lymington, any suggestions for cool, chilled out, quaint around those parts withourt Brighton/Bournemouth prices?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    edited September 2017
    Good decision. You will not fail to make shed loads of cash on property on the South Coast. Just don't live there - you will soon tire of the crap hospitals, schools etc. Do not go east of Southampton, the plans to build across the south coast are mental.
    Just think, at some point you can flog the place and buy a beautiful place in West Wales or Northumbria, be away from the madhouse that is the SE and finally relax.
    And the only way is west - Lyme Regis way. You will not fail their either. I know midlanders who have bought property there and been surprised at the return.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • The Spar is good there,always hearing people say about it so there must be loads of choice on the shelves.
  • hopkinb
    Cool - cheers guys: much appreciated.

Would only be holiday house as we have friends and family in Bournemouth/Southampton/Portsmouth, be rented out the rest of the time.

If not Lymington, any suggestions for cool, chilled out, quaint around those parts withourt Brighton/Bournemouth prices?

Isle of Wight? My oldest childhood pal lives on the island. Commutes to Wimbledon 3 days a week. Cheap like you wouldn't believe, well, for southern England. Ferry to all those places. Good cycling. Garlic farm. Nice shellfish. Faded seaside resorts.
  • Good decision. You will not fail to make shed loads of cash on property on the South Coast. Just don't live there - you will soon tire of the crap hospitals, schools etc. Do not go east of Southampton, the plans to build across the south coast are mental.
    Just think, at some point you can flog the place and buy a beautiful place in West Wales or Northumbria, be away from the madhouse that is the SE and finally relax.
    And the only way is west - Lyme Regis way. You will not fail their either. I know midlanders who have bought property there and been surprised at the return.

This is exactly what we are thinking - few other pokers in the pie (who hasn't?) but it's 10 year job really. BBG rocks.

Hopefully end up somewhere warm but all depends on what the bambini do - Bambina wants to go into the Navy, bambino tbc and as much as we say that the world is a small place I'd rather not do what I currently do and live 3,000 miles from my parents and therefore it's a bugger to get to their crib for a coffee and a cake on a Sunday........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb wrote:

Isle of Wight? My oldest childhood pal lives on the island. Commutes to Wimbledon 3 days a week. Cheap like you wouldn't believe, well, for southern England. Ferry to all those places. Good cycling. Garlic farm. Nice shellfish. Faded seaside resorts.

I've worked for Isle if Wight ambulance service - it's an utterly random place. TDV's oldest pal's grandma lives there and they say it rocks.

Never really thought about it - good call for pondering over a glass of vino Bianchi (H3: currently drinking Fiano di Benevento, 2015. It's alright but not good enough for NFNATN or TDSD.)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb wrote:

No, no in all the name of the sweet baby angels, no, do not move the Isle of Wight. Utter heckhole. Nice to visit for a few days, but beyond shite. Awful hospitals and schools, the place is a complacent dump. Full of inbred nutters and prisons. For cyclists, the roads are very narrow and traffic-choked with twats who won't get the bus. You will die.
    You would be better off moving to Warrington, or Stoke, anywhere. People move to the island and do not come back.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Do not go east of Southampton

Yeah, I grew up near Portsmouth and I hate the place. But a little north of there seemed OK; I think Hart used to be well rated as a place to live (don't know if it still is) and the Meon Valley is beautiful if nothing else. But house prices always seemed inflated to reflect that.
  • Do not go east of Southampton

Yeah, I grew up near Portsmouth and I hate the place. But a little north of there seemed OK; I think Hart used to be well rated as a place to live (don't know if it still is) and the Meon Valley is beautiful if nothing else. But house prices always seemed inflated to reflect that.
    Yep, that's my neck of the woods. Nice part of the world, once you think beyond the Fareham Fat Girls...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

I've worked for Isle if Wight ambulance service - it's an utterly random place. TDV's oldest pal's grandma lives there and they say it rocks.

Never really thought about it - good call for pondering over a glass of vino Bianchi (H3: currently drinking Fiano di Benevento, 2015. It's alright but not good enough for NFNATN or TDSD.)

I love a nice fiano. Then the first time I had one was eating a deliciously simple herb and ricotta ravioli in a square in Arezzo with ex Mrs H3, and I've never quite hit the same experience since. A generalisation, but Italian wine always tastes so much better with food, especially the regional matches. Ah, that reminds me, no booze for a fortnight. Oh well, it gives the liver a break, and improves my riding.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

No, no in all the name of the sweet baby angels, no, do not move the Isle of Wight. Utter heckhole. Nice to visit for a few days, but beyond shite. Awful hospitals and schools, the place is a complacent dump. Full of inbred nutters and prisons. For cyclists, the roads are very narrow and traffic-choked with twats who won't get the bus. You will die.
    You would be better off moving to Warrington, or Stoke, anywhere. People move to the island and do not come back.

MF specifically states holiday home for visiting the South coast for friends and family.
    You'll have to drag my cold dead corpse out of SW London. Most places are nice to visit, but my home for the last 17 years is where I'm staying.
  • We were married (TDV and I, not Ex Mrs H3 or H3, unless TDV was secretly married to H3 before me) in Citta di Castello, about 10k from Arezzo.

It's a lovely part of the world.

I shall sup my vino Bianchi to you H3. Chin chin as they say by the flag pole.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb wrote:

BBG has eloquently tugged my heart strings again.

Sorry H3, I'm going with this.

And yes, the hospital is shyyyt. I don't want to end up there. There is a big Aldi (or Lidl, one of the two) just down the road though.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.