Vuetla 2017:-Stage 11: Lorca - Observatorio Astronómico de Calar Alto 187.5kms *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    For all Froome's bluffing and tactics today he still only finished half a wheel ahead of Nibali. Nibali had teammates with him today, didn't ride the Tour and will continue to get stronger I'm sure. It's still a lot closer than some people seem to think.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Nibali will ship at least 90 seconds to Froome in the ITT.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    andyp wrote:
    Nibali will ship at least 90 seconds to Froome in the ITT.

Mechanicals pending.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I don't get why Astana didn't have Lopez help bridge the gap for Aru. Initially it wasn't so big as it became later. Lopez won, which might make it more palatable, but it's weird tactically.
    Say your captain isn't able to hold the wheel or bridge a gap. Do you say the race is done (in the first week or beginning of second) and go for stages, or try and keep him as close as you can?
    Again and again we see GT's where Sky has a single minded focus and other teams seem divided in their objectives. Orica's strategy of having 3 riders try for the win went up in smoke today (latest) as well.
    Wonder if Sky seem even more invincible because the others are failing to mount a proper challenge. LL Sanchez almost won a stage. Lopez won today. Maybe those riders should stick with Aru like how the Sky riders stick with Froome?!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Just caught the ITV highlights (up yours, Eurosport).

I agree with MRM, all I can think is that Aru knows he's not in great nick and others have the green light to go for it when it's on.

One other thing, apropos of nothing: I'm impressed by how the Guarda Civil are policing the climbs. Le Tour and the Gendarmerie should take note.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    larkim wrote:
    Well clearly neither Nibbles or Froome had the legs to keep up with Lopez, and Nibbles didn't try to snatch 2nd place, so I guess everyone was fairly well cooked there today.
    I'd say both Froome and Nibbs thought it wasn't worth going into the red to catch him, job done: Chavez, TJ and Roche destroyed and Berti put in his place, not bad for one day's work.

Froome is unreal... Sky riders bar one peeled off and left him there, he rolled and groaned, slipped back, swung his head then decided to go for it after all.

Surely the GC contenders realise they're not going to win this race by beating Froome on a climb?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    One other thing, apropos of nothing: I'm impressed by how the Guarda Civil are policing the climbs. Le Tour and the Gendarmerie should take note.

+1.

Saw one copper a coupla days back swinging a stick! Bravo!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Aren't the Guarda Civil the branch of police who you really don't want to be f*cking with?

Old hangover from Franco dictatorship? Or am I making that up?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    They are certainly more proactive but the crowd sizes on Vuelta climbs are a lot more manageable than those at the Tour.
  • salsiccia1
    Aren't the Guarda Civil the branch of police who you really don't want to be f*cking with?

They look as mean as, so yes
    Old hangover from Franco dictatorship? Or am I making that up?

Think they've been around for a while, but their 'robustness' would have been encouraged during that period...
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

So are the French Gendarmerie - military police.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • yeah. you dont mess with the Guardia Civil, but then I've generally found the crowds on Vuelta climbs more chilled than the Tour tbh
  • salsiccia1
    yeah. you dont mess with the Guardia Civil, but then I've generally found the crowds on Vuelta climbs more chilled than the Tour tbh

I'd be more chilled if one of these geezers was going to start shoving me around and waving that baton :shock:

bettiniphoto_0260905_1_1024px.jpg
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    yeah. you dont mess with the Guardia Civil, but then I've generally found the crowds on Vuelta climbs more chilled than the Tour tbh

I'd be more chilled if one of these geezers was going to start shoving me around and waving that baton :shock:

bettiniphoto_0260905_1_1024px.jpg

Not to mention that in that photo both appear to be armed with guns!

Guardia Civil chaps also led the 1981 failed coup during Spain's transition back to democracy.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just watching the highlights back - Conor Dunne looks ridiculous in the break, he's about twice the size of everyone else!