GCN fatigue

Comments

• ben@31 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I don't know why people whinge about the paid sponsorship really, as it's that sponsorship that pays for the channel to exist. It doesn't really affect the information they provide.

My only criticism is GCN becoming a sell out to product placement. Yes it does affect the information they provide, as how can we trust videos to be impartial and unbiased, when they are paid to publicise a sponsors product. One particular GCN video wasn't informative but was just like watching a Wahoo advert.
    "Pays for the channel to exist?" How much does it cost to post a video on YouTube? When some kid talking in his bedroom about video games can get upto 54.1million subscribers, I don't think you need the budget of Time Warner. Maybe these kids making Youtube videos in their home using a webcam have such a passion for their hobby. that they're happy to talk about it for free without the financial greed?
    Professionally produced content costs a lot of money. Keeping content coming at the rate they do, at the standards they have, requires the work of a lot of people working full time. They all need to be paid.

If you're happy watching a kid in his bedroom talk to a cheap webcam, fine. But that is light years away from the sort of stuff GCN are putting out.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If you're happy watching a kid in his bedroom talk to a cheap webcam, fine. But that is light years away from the sort of stuff GCN are putting out.

Lets agree to disagree.

Its the script that makes an informative video. When GCN is in their studio how is it any different to watching a kid in his bedroom? Still indoors.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31 wrote:
    Its the script that makes an informative video. When GCN is in their studio how is it any different to watching a kid in his bedroom? Still indoors.
    But there studio has a set, proper professional lighting... The end video is edited well, with good graphics and overlays etc

It all adds up to make a substantially better looking product.

If you're happy with purely factual content, then so be it. But there is a huge market for professional, slickly produced material.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Yes I'm happy for pure factual content rather than biased product placement.
    As soon as manufacturers start paying for content, the video (especially reviews) loose all credibility.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ben@31 wrote:
    As soon as manufacturers start paying for content, the video (especially reviews) loose all credibility.

You don't have to watch it you know ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    ben@31 wrote:

I can't recall them doing reviews. Vids on aero testing for example, might have nice shots of equipment, but what are they supposed to do? Black branding out with tape?
  • Alex99 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

I can't recall them doing reviews. Vids on aero testing for example, might have nice shots of equipment, but what are they supposed to do? Black branding out with tape?
    Simon on twitter has stated that they specifically don't do reviews, but that they can and have refused to be sponsored by/work with/feature products or brands they don't like/agree/rate.
  • One good example where factual testing works in their favour was that they were happy to admit that aero wheels are mostly bought on the basis of looking cool rather than gaining a few watts!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I get what the OP is saying, the product advertising is a bit jarring sometimes, but worth putting up with for the content.

The worst thing about the GCN show, however, is the sound recording. They need to sort out the mic placement, get a better mic or put the audio through a decent compressor during post production etc...
  • Daddy0 wrote:

The worst thing about the GCN show, however, is the sound recording. They need to sort out the mic placement, get a better mic or put the audio through a decent compressor during post production etc...
    As a professional sound engineer I couldn't agree more.

I did send a message offering my services/advice but didn't hear anything back :mrgreen:

Dan - if you're still reading this the offer still stands!
  • ben@31 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I don't know why people whinge about the paid sponsorship really, as it's that sponsorship that pays for the channel to exist. It doesn't really affect the information they provide.

My only criticism is GCN becoming a sell out to product placement. Yes it does affect the information they provide, as how can we trust videos to be impartial and unbiased, when they are paid to publicise a sponsors product. One particular GCN video wasn't informative but was just like watching a Wahoo advert.
    "Pays for the channel to exist?" How much does it cost to post a video on YouTube? When some kid talking in his bedroom about video games can get upto 54.1million subscribers, I don't think you need the budget of Time Warner. Maybe these kids making Youtube videos in their home using a webcam have such a passion for their hobby. that they're happy to talk about it for free without the financial greed?

You think that some kid making videos in his bedroom, in his spare time, is the same thing a the slick, professional operation that GCN are running....?

For a start you've got four full time presenters who all want paying, then you've got the behind the scenes people who also need to be paid, then you've got the cost of the equipment they need. And I haven't even got to the travels costs of sending incurred sending a team of people to far off locations. I can assure you that financing an operation like that isn't going to be cheap. "Greed" doesn't even cone into it.
  • ben@31 wrote:

Lets agree to disagree.

The difference is one is a hobby, and the other is a job.
    ben@31 wrote:

Please give a specific example where they have issued "biased" advice because of a sponsor.
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    I stopped watching when the content stopped appealing to me and then started watching when there was some new stuff on there. Because let’s be honest- A LOT of stuff us just recycled! There’s countless iterations of the the same ‘how to’ videos on there and the jokes like you mentioned are constantly recycled- Dan riding cervelo, Matt being old/not being clipped in, Tom designing his own paint job etc. But admittedly, when I do watch one, I end up watching everything I’ve missed too so they got me in the end! Whose to complain though? It’s Free!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Literally can't believe some people are moaning about something which is entertaining, informative and free.......
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Literally can't believe some people are moaning about something which is entertaining, informative and free.......
    +1, I enjoy it. I only recently started watching it though.

If I get fatigued with it I'll stop watching it for a bit.. A bit of a radical solution, eh?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I like it and watch regularly. They're also based locally so nice to see familiar locations used. I think their onscreen chemistry works in the main, but there's now a fair bit of recycling of items which isn't exactly surprising given the rate they get content out. They also need to refresh some of their standard link pieces (Lizzie saying "Its now time for Cycling Shorts" is wearing a bit thin, as an example). I'll stop watching if and when I get bored, and, yes, the sound recording definately needs improving. There was an edition last week in the local studio which had the worst sound yet, IMO it's definately the biggest weak link in an otherwise (for me ) entertaining show.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I like GCN and find the maintenance videos useful plus a lot of stuff is amusing. However, it's fairly evident they are running a bit short on ideas at times hence a lot of content is basically repeated in a slightly different format. In fairness it must be tricky to think of something new 7 days a week.
  • it can be challenging for a channel with a relatively narrow interest to keep this fresh / new. i have enjoyed watching the various presenters become more confident and skilled in-front-of camera presenting.

the one truly valuable thing is it presents cycling as accessible and non-elitest - which is a great thing considering ....
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    onionmk wrote:
    I stopped watching when the content stopped appealing to me and then started watching when there was some new stuff on there. Because let’s be honest- A LOT of stuff us just recycled! There’s countless iterations of the the same ‘how to’ videos on there and the jokes like you mentioned are constantly recycled- Dan riding cervelo, Matt being old/not being clipped in, Tom designing his own paint job etc. But admittedly, when I do watch one, I end up watching everything I’ve missed too so they got me in the end! Whose to complain though? It’s Free!

But how much is to to subscribe??
  • They’ve just announced Emma Pooley as a new presenter. This is a good thing :)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    They’ve just announced Emma Pooley as a new presenter. This is a good thing :)

It is, she's excellent - much better than the woman they had on last year a few times - whose name I forget, retired ex pro as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    That's fine as long as Dan stops dropping how he was in the Cervelo test team every 5 seconds with her.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    That's fine as long as Dan stops dropping how he was in the Cervelo test team every 5 seconds with her.

Pooley was in the Cervelo Test Team in the 2009 and 2010 seasons then rode for Gramin Cervelo in 2011.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Dannbodge wrote:

Pooley was in the Cervelo Test Team in the 2009 and 2010 seasons then rode for Gramin Cervelo in 2011.

Yeah I know. Every time she has anything to do with the show, he brings up not only that he was in the team, but she was too
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Just watched Emma's first studio stint with Si. Thought she was pretty good, and brings a welcome new dynamic to the show. Fair play to them.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    Just watched Emma's first studio stint with Si. Thought she was pretty good, and brings a welcome new dynamic to the show. Fair play to them.

Tbf it probably wasn't difficult to do as its one of the most un-dynamic presented shows
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Luv2ride wrote:

Tbf it probably wasn't difficult to do as its one of the most un-dynamic presented shows
    It’s still a lot harder to talk naturally into a camera than most people think, she did pretty well.

Just have a look at some of the very first GCN videos for examples of how bad they were at the start :mrgreen:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Luv2ride wrote:

Ditto, and the Aero commute thing she did with Si - Overall 8\10 from me, and I think she will only get better, more natural, and more relaxed.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    It's amazing how crap it used to look compared to the new stuff. PRetty sure I thought it was great at the time. The Epic ride in Gran Can a week or two ago was amazing production wise, as was that 650b vs 700c one.
  • Now, GTN on the other hand.........I've had that come up while I was on the trainer and a GCN show ended.......I couldn't handle it.

It's a little too short of a show to be good enough, speaking of GTN. Also, for some reason the hosts and segments so far seem really dry.

Maybe it's a sign I wouldn't ever fit in well with triathlon folks.

I've actually been thinking Gaimon should take his worst retirement ever series up a notch. Make each episode a shorter interview (15min), a KOM challenge, and some other fun stuff thrown in. The podcasts are interesting, but a bit long for me usually.