What's happened to Cannondale Drapac

12346»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If half of what Phil G put in his book about Vaughters is true then I'm not sure what he's actually good at.

It's the Peter Principle at work I guess.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • A couple of podcasts are taking interviews with JV this week.

Cyclingnews and The Cycling Podcast.

Regardless of what you might think of the people involved, it's an interesting tale.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    A couple of podcasts are taking interviews with JV this week.

Regardless of what you might think of the people involved, it's an interesting tale.

Do the cycling podcast boys ask any tough questions about his mismanagement of the team? Or do they just talk about wine and blow smoke up his ar$e as usual?
  • Mostly the latter.

Still an interesting listen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited November 2017
    iainf72 wrote:
    If half of what Phil G put in his book about Vaughters is true then I'm not sure what he's actually good at.
    It seems to me that Vaughters thinks he's good at everything and that he's the best person to do everything - whether it's the business side, the general management side or the training side. And as a result he ends up being good at none of them and largely absent from actual races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Seems about right for an MBA degree holder. I can say that being an MBA degree holder.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Seems about right for an MBA degree holder. I can say that being an MBA degree holder.

Word
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • He does come across well for me.

There is some semblance of strategic thinking in a sport where short termism reigns.

To be fair he must have been doing something right to keep the team going so long.

The question has to be why its so seat of the pants all the time.
  • RichN95.
    To be fair he must have been doing something right to keep the team going so long.
    He cannibalised three other teams - Cervelo, Drapac and Cannondale, Taking their nests for himself. Jonnythecuckoo if you like
  • Lol.

Maybe that's why I don't hate him.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    A couple of podcasts are taking interviews with JV this week.

Listened to those 2 today.

Is JV just a smooth talking bullsh1tter?

Excuse me, I just need to introduce my wife to John Kerry.....
  • iainf72 wrote:

I remember Talansky on Mike Creed's podcast a few years (3, 4?) talking about JV's style when it came to communicating with his riders i.e bloody poor, silent treatment stuff.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    orraloon wrote:
    Is JV just a smooth talking bullsh1tter?

Never underestimate how far such a skill can take you...

I don't think he's fundamentally a bad guy but he often over-reaches himself, p1sses a lot of people off and makes himself look a bit of a tool...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    It seems to me that Vaughters thinks he's good at everything and that he's the best person to do everything - whether it's the business side, the general management side or the training side. And as a result he ends up being good at none of them and largely absent from actual races.

He coaches 6 of the riders on the team himself.
    In 2017
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

In 2017
    I know. Despite being in a different continent most of the time.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

In 2017

Was one of them Uran??????
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

In 2017

Was one of them Uran??????
    I don't think so. Rolland and van Baarle were two for sure. I think Dombrowski too - he will have been in the USA on occasions I suppose.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    andyp wrote:
    Oath dropped out today. Still not sure what they actually brought to the party as, by all accounts, it certainly wasn't cash.

I didnt understand why some of the cycling sites were making out that was news though, I thought Oath (aka Flickr/Yahoo) dropping out for 2018 was what led to the whole crowdfunding/educational sponsor thing happening in the first place, so sponsor who said they werent hanging around, decides to not hang around.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    awavey wrote:
    I didnt understand why some of the cycling sites were making out that was news though, I thought Oath (aka Flickr/Yahoo) dropping out for 2018 was what led to the whole crowdfunding/educational sponsor thing happening in the first place, so sponsor who said they werent hanging around, decides to not hang around.

I don't think Oath were the sponsor who dropped out, that was someone else. Oath's involvement was announced with a huge fanfare at the Tour, but I don't think they were contributing much in the way of sponsorship dollars to the team.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    I don't think Oath were the sponsor who dropped out, that was someone else. Oath's involvement was announced with a huge fanfare at the Tour, but I don't think they were contributing much in the way of sponsorship dollars to the team.

Agreed.

I think Oath made a small financial contribution but their real value was around "getting the message out" via their channels. They were certainly never a title sponsor.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited November 2017
    From his linkedin bio:
    Developed the business plan and secured initial financing of 50 Million USD

Recruits and directs the efforts of over 80 international experts from 14 different nationalities, cultures and backgrounds.

Established corporate operations both in the United States as well as in Spain.

Created and executed cutting edge Anti-Doping policies within Slipstream Sports which were later adopted by the Union Cyclist International and World Anti Doping Agency subsequently led to groundbreaking changes in sport as a whole.

Negotiates all annual staff, rider and race organizer contracts

Also shows he did his MBA 2013-14 but has been running Slipstream since 2005, so presumably he was just being a douchebag unassisted prior to 2013. Denver's not a very highly ranked business school (not that it really matters...).

Edit: also has spelling mistakes on his linkedin bio #snob
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    iainf72 wrote:

I remember Talansky on Mike Creed's podcast a few years (3, 4?) talking about JV's style when it came to communicating with his riders i.e bloody poor, silent treatment stuff.

Strong leadership...