What's happened to Cannondale Drapac

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I think its a shame and the gleeful way some people laugh at this shows them as total fool s

This is peoples living.

not necessarily on here and i didnt write fools.....
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I think its a shame and the gleeful way some people laugh at this shows them as total fool s

This is peoples living.

not necessarily on here and i didnt write fools.....

What are people saying? You're right though, if some people are revelling in this then that's pretty sad.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    They have dropped the first crowdfunding amount to $25 bucks. So if anyone wasn't happy to pledge $100 but feels better about a lower amount you can still register your interest. They have also said that anyone who commits $25 or more will be part of a tiered rewards program.

I've registered interest at $100. Be interesting to see what the program is. I wouldn't mind feeling involved with a team, even if a tiny amount.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I still don't get how they are down 7 million when JV reckons their budget is only 10 or 11. Have their costs shot up (Uran, Woods big pay rise?) or the sponsors are all putting less in?
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    inseine wrote:
    I still don't get how they are down 7 million when JV reckons their budget is only 10 or 11. Have their costs shot up (Uran, Woods big pay rise?) or the sponsors are all putting less in?

Yes. If a new sponsor is coming in with more money, you'd think they could manage on the old income. Unless they've done a Leeds Utd and spent massively over what they didn't have.

Could it be that not all the truth is being told and Drapac or whoever is dropping out, or Cannondale have lost interest in putting their share in?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    At some points you have to wonder what it is JV learnt on his MBA...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    In the interview in yesterday's cycling podcast he comes across as a bit of a fool.

I have some sympathy with his plight, mind.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Apparently it was Unibet who withdrew.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Vaughters can't imagine or understand why a US corp. might not want to be tied to a pro cycling team?

That said, it is shocking the US cant find the buttons, in real terms, that is required.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    don't the UCI need to cut a team from the pro tour next year ? maybe they should drop to pro conti and at least try to keep the team going on a lower budget . then at least some of the rider will have a team .
  • I can't help there are too many layers to that team - don't know the model but JV and Slipstream always seem to slightly too problematic ? Many teams (and cavendish) will tell you you can't run a cycle team like a business :D
  • bobmcstuff
    tim000 wrote:
    don't the UCI need to cut a team from the pro tour next year ? maybe they should drop to pro conti and at least try to keep the team going on a lower budget . then at least some of the rider will have a team .

JV said that a lot of WT team's sponsorship is predicated on them having a WT licence (because this guarantees TdF entry and that's really what most sponsors care about).

If they're keeping Rolland (not sure on that) then I guess they might get wildcard entry as a pro conti but that might not be enough.
  • I can't help there are too many layers to that team - don't know the model but JV and Slipstream always seem to slightly too problematic ? Many teams (and cavendish) will tell you you can't run a cycle team like a business :D

Not so much tbh

Slipstream are the registered business holding the UCI licence, the equivalent of Tour Racing Ltd owning the licence for Team Sky

All the other names are sponsors

JV is David Brailsford but with hair ie general manager, though in JV's case he owns a slice of Slipstream
  • Does Holy David still own a chunk of Slipstream?
  • bobmcstuff
    Not really sure why you'd want to continue owning it when you're no longer involved, the only value to owning part of it would be to get some control over what they're doing. They have no real assets so the equity you own has essentially no long term value. And I doubt they pay dividends!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Does Holy David still own a chunk of Slipstream?
    No, not for a long time. He barely owned anything anyway. It was only ever a solution to Millar's tax problems at the time
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    tim000 wrote:

JV said that a lot of WT team's sponsorship is predicated on them having a WT licence (because this guarantees TdF entry and that's really what most sponsors care about).

If they're keeping Rolland (not sure on that) then I guess they might get wildcard entry as a pro conti but that might not be enough.

They have Uran. They'd be at the Tour whatever happened.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    The_Boy wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    tim000 wrote:

but would these rider stay for less money . unlikely.
  • Rigo's agent Giuseppe Acquadro is a right piece of work, FTR
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The crowd funding thing : Surely there is no way that would pass the WT licence committee stuff?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    iainf72 wrote:
    The crowd funding thing : Surely there is no way that would pass the WT licence committee stuff?
    Got some skeleton in your cupboard Iain...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ridgerider wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Several.

Personally, I would not contribute to crowd funding the team. I just don't think it's the way to go.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    The_Boy wrote:

You think? Given that Vaughters spends an inordinate amount of time telling ASO that the way they run their business sucks a big one, and they need to give him some of the vast amounts of money he thinks they make tout suite, I'm not convinced they'd get a wildcard, even if they had Rolland on the team. It's not like Uran is a tour legend, he's won one stage and his best previous finish was 23rd, so he's not essential to the race.

Factor in the fact that there will be three French pro-continental teams next year, and there will be a lot of teams trying to get that final wildcard slot.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    andyp wrote:
    Factor in the fact that there will be three French pro-continental teams next year, and there will be a lot of teams trying to get that final wildcard slot.
    Four French pro-conti teams.

Cofidis with Bouhanni
    Direct Energie with Calmejane
    Fortuneo with Barguil
    Vital Concept with Coquard

Ironically I think this automatic indulgence of French cycling makes it bloated and hurts their competitiveness.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Thanks Rich. I thought that was wrong when I typed it, but can't get a team called Fortuneo-Vital Concept out of my head, so tallied it up to three teams.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Several.

Personally, I would not contribute to crowd funding the team. I just don't think it's the way to go.

Oh, agreed. My immediate reaction was 'this aint sustainable'

The only angle I can think of is the chance that Vaughters might be able to wave a long list of fans pledges etc to potential sponsors as 'evidence' of a robust loyal fan base they'd be buying into. But whether that could translate to diddly, I have no idea
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    meursault wrote:

Could it be that not all the truth is being told and Drapac or whoever is dropping out, or Cannondale have lost interest in putting their share in?

Yes I wondered if maybe Cannondale were staying as bike supplier rather than title sponsor.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558

Fairly Group (a Willis spin off): "We are committed to finding ways to help our clients mitigate and manage risk while always challenging the paradigms that impede our mission."

Sounds right up Vaughters' street...

I hope something gets sorted for the team and staff but I just cannot see this crowdfunding thing getting off the ground.