La Vuelta'17 S.6 **SPOILERS** Vila-real / Sagunt

13»

Comments

• EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    i so love the so called cycling experts crying about Sky chasing the break

newsflash, they didnt chase the break

they have 4 big guys for flat so why not use them to tire small climbers. Result : Chaves dropped. it doesn't matter that he rejoined on descent. Next time a stage will finish uphill samer thing willhappen if they ride hard on flat.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    andyp wrote:
    Jesus, Betancur looks a right mess, nasty.

He's out the race, broke his right ankle in the crash.

Finished the stage though. Heavyweight.

(sorry couldn't help it)
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    imatfaal wrote:
    1. GBR FROOME Christopher 21 TEAM SKY 22h 54' 38''
    2. COL CHAVES RUBIO Johan Esteban 41 ORICA - SCOTT 22h 54' 49'' + 00' 11''
    3. IRL ROCHE Nicolas 36 BMC RACING TEAM 22h 54' 51'' + 00' 13''
    4. USA VAN GARDEREN Tejay 38 BMC RACING TEAM 22h 55' 05'' + 00' 27''
    5. ITA NIBALI Vincenzo 151 BAHRAIN - MERIDA 22h 55' 14'' + 00' 36''

What's Nico doing in 3rd place? Have I missed something?

To be honest it is quite possible that La Vuelta website had it wrong - they often do (even the above was the second version yesterday as they had forgotten van Garderen); in this case I think it is correct and Nico just doing well. I would love to see Nico get a good result but I cannot see him hanging on in everyone of those bonker category climbs
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    That's tough on Betancur, but really hardcore to finish the stage with a broken ankle (assuming of course it isn't a Bertie 'break').
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    imatfaal wrote:

To be honest it is quite possible that La Vuelta website had it wrong - they often do (even the above was the second version yesterday as they had forgotten van Garderen); in this case I think it is correct and Nico just doing well. I would love to see Nico get a good result but I cannot see him hanging on in everyone of those bonker category climbs

He's finished in the top ten at the Vuelta on two occasions, and on the fringes of it a few more times too, plus two stage wins so he's got a decent track record in this race. He's always said it's a race that suits him.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    That's tough on Betancur, but really hardcore to finish the stage with a broken ankle (assuming of course it isn't a Bertie 'break').

I doubt he could ride with a broken ankle (edit: Fractured ankle it is, wow respect that can't have been fun)

DIDksBTXYAE_Uoq.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Didn't he need surgery on his face as well? Chapeau Carlos! True hard man of the peloton!

(Not joking for once)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Didn't he need surgery on his face as well? Chapeau Carlos! True hard man of the peloton!

(Not joking for once)
    Betancur deserves respect generally... as someone who struggles to keep my weight down, it must be really awful when it's your livelihood like that. With me I just look a bit fat in my shirt, with him he's possibly out of his job. And he's actually a really good rider on his day.