tuesday and all the poetry books start to burn in their crates

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    hopkinb wrote:

Owain is doing time by the way - chinned Gwyndaf's son Iain the copper over a dispute to do with a hale bale, some cordage and an Austin Allegro that was, allegedly, fitted with an engine from a Metro but never paid for.

Too much broccoli wine, too little turnip dinner.

That was my fcuken engine man. I loved that engine. I agreed to part with it for £8.54 and a handful of skittles. Never saw a penny. If I'd known it was going to be put in an Allegro, I would NEVER have agreed to sell it.

He did put some massif wides on it though running cut slicks.

Just a shame all the wheels were different sizes. And so were the tyres. And he had loads of punctures because he couldn't afford that under car strip lighting so all he did was glue loads of B&Q light bulbs underneath connected to an old ring main from the Nunnery near THAT person's second to left hay and radish barn.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:
    , I think putting a request in for 2 new bikes is pushing it

Sounds like you're already pushing this one.

It's knackered. Hit it with a hammer, set fire to it with fire and chuck into next door's garden.

Then do the same with the knackered MTB and clear your life of all this broken junk and buy a Ritte with Obermayers.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    And, what's more, my tubs did not fall off nor my carbon 60s break. I rock.

you have carbon 60's & tubs? You must be like, what, cat 3 or something?

Too right Hopkins3 - and don't you forget it.

And I ride with a club. Building up to their Sunday fast group but Zwifting lots in the meantime to try and eek those final watts out. I do wear my club kit all the time as well so people know I'm a serious kind of recreational cyclist.

I'm only going to get 50's, and clinchers at that. I'm not in a club, and I have no turbo. That's my racing career up the swanee. I'll have to go back to bullying old ladies and fat blokes (by which I mean any blokes fatter than me) on my commute.

Buy the wheels now and post pictures on here so fatbrokenbikeman can see what he could have.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I thought you had bought them a few weeks ago following our discussion about H2's random gym clothing related spending habits?

Buy them now and I can complete my day's spending vicariously through you.

I can't yet justify them just for going "whoosh" on my commute. 85% of my riding is commuting. Even by cyclist's standards, the best part of £800 quid on some deep section carbon wheels for commuting is a little bonkers, even though disc brakes mean the rims shouldn't wear out.
  • hopkinb
    Here they are fatdaddy. Buy these, tell me how loud is the whooshing sound they make. If it's deafening, tell me, and I'll buy them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rp-50-car ... -wheelset/
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    hopkinb wrote:
    , even though disc brakes mean the rims shouldn't wear out.

"shouldn't" wear out .... but if you were a proper commuter, you would be forever squeezing yourself between the stationary traffic and the pavementto get to the front ... that inevitably takes a few 0.1mms off your rim scraping it along the kerb
  • Matthewfalle
    Of course you can - I commute on carbons because I have worked for my money and so I spend my money on things I like and they make me feel good as I whoooooooooooooooooooooooooosh to work on them and if I have a bad day hey make me feel good as I whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh home again.

Personally I'm tired of this bullshine "can't justify this or that" - you have one life. Live it, enjoy it. If you want to commute on a Dogma with full EPS then go for it - point the swearing finger at anyone who says you can't.

If you don't you'll just end up riding a crazy old bike with mudguards and wearing club kit and racing cat3 on Zwift.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

Owain is doing time by the way - chinned Gwyndaf's son Iain the copper over a dispute to do with a hale bale, some cordage and an Austin Allegro that was, allegedly, fitted with an engine from a Metro but never paid for.

Too much broccoli wine, too little turnip dinner.

That was my fcuken engine man. I loved that engine. I agreed to part with it for £8.54 and a handful of skittles. Never saw a penny. If I'd known it was going to be put in an Allegro, I would NEVER have agreed to sell it.

He did put some massif wides on it though running cut slicks.

Just a shame all the wheels were different sizes. And so were the tyres. And he had loads of punctures because he couldn't afford that under car strip lighting so all he did was glue loads of B&Q light bulbs underneath connected to an old ring main from the Nunnery near THAT person's second to left hay and radish barn.

Well, we all know what goes on in THAT person's hay and radish barn. No wonder there's no nuns left at the nunnery.
  • fat daddy
    hopkinb wrote:
    Here they are fatdaddy. Buy these, tell me how loud is the whooshing sound they make. If it's deafening, tell me, and I'll buy them.

I have Rim brakes ! .... am I going to have to buy a new bike to test these ?
  • hopkinb
    Of course you can - I commute on carbons because I have worked for my money and so I spend my money on things I like and they make me feel good as I whoooooooooooooooooooooooooosh to work on them and if I have a bad day hey make me feel good as I whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh home again.

Personally I'm tired of this bullshine "can't justify this or that" - you have one life. Live it, enjoy it. If you want to commute on a Dogma with full EPS then go for it - point the swearing finger at anyone who says you can't.

If you don't you'll just end up riding a crazy old bike with mudguards and wearing club kit and racing cat3 on Zwift.

oooh, you make several good points, and if I put them on the interest free tick that wiggle do, it's less than £60 a month over a year. Mind made up. Are your carbons a fancy brand though? I don't want to have carbon envy.

Right, I really need to do some work, so I can afford to make the payments on those wheels.
  • hopkinb
    fat daddy wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

I have Rim brakes ! .... am I going to have to buy a new bike to test these ?

Rim brake versions also available.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-car ... igodigital
  • fat daddy
    will the whooooosh be the same though ?
  • hopkinb
    Probably whoooshier. :D 8)
  • Matthewfalle
    edited August 2017
    As we all know, I went to Eastbourne the other and it was lovely.

What wasn't lovely was the shower of shyyyt who were attempting to TT along the dual carriageway.

Marshalls were Loads of old blokes with sandals and socks, beards and those Jeffry glasses that turn brown in the sun with rubbish old bikes. I'm sure they would be described as stalwarts of their club.

Do you really want to be like them?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBTpZROXYAAMjnF.jpg:large

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

oooh, you make several good points, and if I put them on the interest free tick that wiggle do, it's less than £60 a month over a year. Mind made up. Are your carbons a fancy brand though? I don't want to have carbon envy.

Right, I really need to do some work, so I can afford to make the payments on those wheels.

Carbonzone carbons off the 'Bay. Phenomenal value for money and getting more so each day I ride them and my tubs, bizarrely, don't fall off and my wheels don't explode even though they aren't "hand builts"

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,482
    It's 93F and sunny in Atlanta today so have been to the pool and when Stropteen finally gets her act together we're off into the City to do some of the touristy stuff, feed our faces etc.

Tonight were getting taken to a baseball game. Hopefully I'll understand it as its just a souped game of rounders, otherwise will just have to get stuck into the hot dogs and beer.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,303
    fat daddy wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Sounds like you need a new bike FD....

I was hoping someone would post that I needed new wheels, so I could use it as justification to the wife why I was buying yet more stuff that doesn't make me faster.

but I suppose a new bike does come with new wheels, so I might be able to use this.

Although the other week I broke my mountain bike, so I already need 1 new bike, I think putting a request in for 2 new bikes is pushing it
    You need new wheels, the current ones are FUBAR. Buy a 29er to replace broken MTB, then a disc braked road bike and you can swap the wheels between them. I accidentally seem to have 2 bikes and 3 sets of wheels that are interchangeable. Fattest on the MTB, middle on the CX with the skinny set of wheels crying out for me to buy a new frameset to put them on. I want H³ to buy some fancy carbon rims, then I can steal them next time he gets pissed. I say steal, I mean swap them for an Allegro engine with a dropped valve.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,535
    fat daddy wrote:
    will I have to remove and measure another spoke or will it be a case of measure the length of one I can see and is going to be about 7mm longer than that ? Its an again rs010 wheel so nothing flash

may be one of these (choose colour)...

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/spokes/shim ... y012a6047/
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/spokes/shim ... y012a6042/

compare wheel to this to be sure...
    http://www.sjscycles.com/Drawings/Shima ... ch_Doc.pdf

if you rode far on it with a broken spoke i'd consider also changing the adjacent spoke each side as they'll have picked up the excess load, you may then find they break after a while

replace broken one, get tension about right, then repeat one by one for the other two

you can probably reuse the nipples, though it's not like new ones are pricey

a spoke key isn't strictly necessary, but it makes things easier
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I want H³ to buy some fancy carbon rims, then I can steal them next time he gets pissed. I say steal, I mean swap them for an Allegro engine with a dropped valve.

You wish is my command.

Wheels as above, rotors, cassette, valve extenders. Going to use my existing tyres, then think about tubeless.

I'm going to look like such a d!ck on the commute when I get blown off on the first crosswindy day. Well, even more of a d!ck than normal.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I want H³ to buy some fancy carbon rims, then I can steal them next time he gets pissed. I say steal, I mean swap them for an Allegro engine with a dropped valve.

You wish is my command.

Wheels as above, rotors, cassette, valve extenders. Going to use my existing tyres, then think about tubeless.

I'm going to look like such a d!ck on the commute when I get blown off on the first crosswindy day. Well, even more of a d!ck than normal.

No you won't - never had any issues at all on 50s or 60s - now the Spinergys and the 80s: now you're talking sketchy.

Buy them now. Now. Now. Buy them. Now. Buy them. Now.

As an aside, my new carbon BBB brake pads for the s/s have arrived, so I'll fit them tomorrow and go s/speeding.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    hopkinb wrote:
    You wish is my command.

Alternatively buy rims and hubs and the wirey bits to join them together and I'll build them in exchange for beer. The only problems are that I've never built carbon rims up before so you might die to death if you ride them. That's if I remember to give them to you once they're built.
    Then you can tell MF you've got fancy handbuilt wheels. Hope hubs are really clicky so you should get them for added "look at me" value.
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    You wish is my command.

Alternatively buy rims and hubs and the wirey bits to join them together and I'll build them in exchange for beer. The only problems are that I've never built carbon rims up before so you might die to death if you ride them. That's if I remember to give them to you once they're built.
    Then you can tell MF you've got fancy handbuilt wheels. Hope hubs are really clicky so you should get them for added "look at me" value.

Yes. Do what The V Man says. He is correct.

As an aside, if you die please can I have your shoes or any cool band t-shirts you may have?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    Disclaimer:
    Anyone riding wheels built by me must be as stupid as I am and they are entirely responsible for any mishaps or dying to death that may occur due to my incompetence and/or negligence.
    This also applies to bikes fettled by me.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

You wish is my command.

No you won't - never had any issues at all on 50s or 60s - now the Spinergys and the 80s: now you're talking sketchy.

As an aside, my new carbon BBB brake pads for the s/s have arrived, so I'll fit them tomorrow and go s/speeding.

I bought 'em. I'm gonna be so fast. Except for the proper fast guys, I'm gonna be the fastest.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:
    I bought 'em. I'm gonna be so fast. Except for the proper fast guys, I'm gonna be the fastest.
    Hoppy, if I see you on my commute into work I'm going to try extra hard to pass you on my hybrid :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have hope hubs, on a bike with mudguards and a pannier. They click like feck.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Disclaimer:
    Anyone riding wheels built by me must be as stupid as I am and they are entirely responsible for any mishaps or dying to death that may occur due to my incompetence and/or negligence.
    This also applies to bikes fettled by me.

if i send you some steel pipe type thinngs, will you build me a bike?
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

You wish is my command.

Huzzah! Huzzah! H3 is da best and he has the coolest bike ever (apart from Dirk).

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Huzzah! Huzzah! H3 is da best and he has the coolest road bike ever (apart from Dirk).
    FTFY.
  • Matthewfalle
    I reckon this needs a Stevo vs H3 bike off (with added norks) so we can decide.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.