Steel Winter Build - Rim brake frame selection help

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Just thinking about another build for winter as my Tarmac is now just too nice to get wet:lol:

I am keen to build a steel rim brake bike for winter road duties but not worried about mudguards. I want a light weight simple build and would like to use an Athena group set this time. I have wanted a Ritchey Road Logic F&F for some time and despite the significant price increase this year I am not deterred, however £900 is a lot of dosh for this frame as it used to sell for £650.

The PX Holdsworth Comp looks like a good option and seems to get really good reviews but the colours are not really to my liking but again I am not deterred especially if the price was to go below £500 in one of the "sales". Pound for pound this frame even at £600 for columbus spirit seems great value for money.

For a bit more money than the Ritchey I could get a Genesis Volare 931 or even revisit the idea of a Rourke 853.

The main aim here really is to get a nice steel bike without spending loads of money but as always that is hard to do without getting mugged off. Any other ideas for a decent steel frameset that can take 28/30mm tyres welcome - must have carbon fork though!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Condor Fratello (non disc version) might be worth a look

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/c ... o-frameset

Will take 28mm tyres with mudguards fitted so should take 30mm and possibly above without guards. A bit cheaper than the Ritchey also.

Also the Genesis Equilibrium - 725 Reynolds with carbon fork

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/374104/p ... gLLAvD_BwE

Much cheaper than the others but not sure about the tyre clearance
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Ribble 525
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Garry H wrote:
    Ribble 525
    Ribble seem to have killed this off (or their suppliers have) as there isn't any stock and hasn't been for a while.

Solboy, given what you've said about wanting a road logic for ages, it's unlikely anything else will suffice - just up to whether you can afford it.

Really though, if you want a quality steel bike on the cheap you're better looking at second hand - LFGSS and retrobike forums probably a good place to start.
  • Ritchey Road Logic is lovely, but it won't take 30mm tires. I'm running 25mm GP4000IIs on mine (that pretty much measure 28mm) and there's not much room left.
  • bmxboy10
    Unamed2.0 wrote:
    Ritchey Road Logic is lovely, but it won't take 30mm tires. I'm running 25mm GP4000IIs on mine (that pretty much measure 28mm) and there's not much room left.
    I think the new version does take 30mm but as we all know there is so much variation in how tyre widths actually measure up.
  • timothyw
    Rims are a large part of that equation too. My Merckx is very tight at the rear with 23mm tyres because they are running on 23mm wide rims.

Honestly though, big tyres should be less important in a steel frame with the inherent flex of the frame.

If you want really big clearance, look at steel tourers (eg I think Spa do a nice one?)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    arlowood wrote:
    Condor Fratello (non disc version) might be worth a look

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/c ... o-frameset

Will take 28mm tyres with mudguards fitted so should take 30mm and possibly above without guards. A bit cheaper than the Ritchey also.

Also the Genesis Equilibrium - 725 Reynolds with carbon fork

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/374104/p ... gLLAvD_BwE

Much cheaper than the others but not sure about the tyre clearance
    Fratello will take 30mm tyres under the right guards (I had SKS chromoplastics).

Another vote for the Fratello from me. I've done nearly 12,000km on mine now and it is a truly great bike.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Buy the one that fits best, you like the look of the most and That takes the tyres you want. So that will be lne of your inital suggestions.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Steel is unnecessarily expensive and in winter it will corrode and cost you a lot of money. I would get a cheap aluminium one... it will also corrode but they are very cheap frames... I'd say the Ribble 7005 winter Audax or Dolan Preffisio are as good as it gets and perfect for British winter
    left the forum March 2023
  • Donie75
    Donie75 Posts: 92
    I built up a Genesis Equilibrium 725 Rim Brake version earlier this year as a winter bike. Full 105 5800 11sp and a set of handbuilt Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs. I run 25's at the moment but I have a set of 28mm GP 4 Seasons to put on for this winter. It's a great bike and very comfortable. I'm told the 28's will fit no problem and I've heard 30's work too.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Donie75 wrote:
    I built up a Genesis Equilibrium 725 Rim Brake version earlier this year as a winter bike. Full 105 5800 11sp and a set of handbuilt Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs. I run 25's at the moment but I have a set of 28mm GP 4 Seasons to put on for this winter. It's a great bike and very comfortable. I'm told the 28's will fit no problem and I've heard 30's work too.

Do you have mudguards on it? And if so which ones?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Steel is unnecessarily expensive and in winter it will corrode and cost you a lot of money. I would get a cheap aluminium one... it will also corrode but they are very cheap frames... I'd say the Ribble 7005 winter Audax or Dolan Preffisio are as good as it gets and perfect for British winter

I had a steel frame for years as a winter bike. It neither corroded nor cost me a lot of money. It got at lot of use. In fact, it was my Dad's old road frame from the late '50's, an old Langsett frame I think, so it had already seen a lot of service when I got hold of it.

I now have a Dolan Prefissio as a winter frame. I have fitted full SKS mudguards on it, but the clearance isn't great on the rear wheel, I had to remove the clip which fixes to the brake and tywrap it to the bridge to get it away from the tyre. I was expecting more from a winter frame.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    solboy10 wrote:
    Just thinking about another build for winter as my Tarmac is now just too nice to get wet:lol:

I am keen to build a steel rim brake bike for winter road duties but not worried about mudguards. I want a light weight simple build and would like to use an Athena group set this time. I have wanted a Ritchey Road Logic F&F for some time and despite the significant price increase this year I am not deterred, however £900 is a lot of dosh for this frame as it used to sell for £650.

The PX Holdsworth Comp looks like a good option and seems to get really good reviews but the colours are not really to my liking but again I am not deterred especially if the price was to go below £500 in one of the "sales". Pound for pound this frame even at £600 for columbus spirit seems great value for money.

For a bit more money than the Ritchey I could get a Genesis Volare 931 or even revisit the idea of a Rourke 853.

The main aim here really is to get a nice steel bike without spending loads of money but as always that is hard to do without getting mugged off. Any other ideas for a decent steel frameset that can take 28/30mm tyres welcome - must have carbon fork though!

Why would you not want mudguards in winter? It makes for a much more pleasant ride, for the rider, and for whoever is riding on his or her wheel.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I have no disk brake bikes BUT if I was to get a winter bike now I'd get discs - why stick with a rim-grinding, poor in the wet, tyre clearance limiting braking system when discs are available. Summer bike - rim brakes all the way....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    why stick with a rim-grinding, poor in the wet, tyre clearance limiting braking system

You big girls blouse
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ugo.santalucia
    Svetty wrote:
    I have no disk brake bikes BUT if I was to get a winter bike now I'd get discs - why stick with a rim-grinding, poor in the wet, tyre clearance limiting braking system when discs are available. Summer bike - rim brakes all the way....

When I looked at road frames with discs, I found that the clearance was exactly the same as the rim brakes equivalent... so that is not an issue the OP will solve by choosing discs, unless of course he gets a CX frame
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    The All City Mr. Pink frameset has clearance for 32c tyres (28's w/fenders) and an ED coating inside and outside for rust prevention.
    But it is quite expensive.

all-city-mr-pink-frameset-2017-p17358-79587_medium.jpg
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052

What utter nonsense.

My 30 year old steel bike is heading for yet another winter, strangely enough it hasn't rusted away yet.

My other winter bike, a Kinesis, is corroding badly around the dropouts and various stonechips.

Speaking of nonsense, a winter bike without mudguards? Seriously? Does this guy love soggy feet and cleaning sh1te off the drivetrain after every wet ride?
  • bmxboy10
    Mud guards look shite so won't be on my bike ta lol
  • Garry H
    So you're just after a steel bike then? Any bike can be used in winter, if you don't need mudguards.
  • bmxboy10
    Garry H wrote:
    So you're just after a steel bike then? Any bike can be used in winter, if you don't need mudguards.
    Yes I guess so anyway I'm all sorted now guys cheers!
  • Garry H
    Whadya get?
  • bmxboy10
    Garry H wrote:
    Whadya get?
    Well something completely impractical and not at all what I set out to get!

I got a de rosa nuovo frameset not exactly a winter bike!
  • Garry H
    solboy10 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Whadya get?

Lovely looking bike all the same. Slane Cycles in Belfast had them.
  • bmxboy10
    Garry H wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Whadya get?

Lovely looking bike all the same. Slane Cycles in Belfast had them.
    Got a flipping great deal on it! Wanted a Primato a few years ago but couldn't afford it so this is a result.
  • timothyw

What utter nonsense.

My 30 year old steel bike is heading for yet another winter, strangely enough it hasn't rusted away yet.

My other winter bike, a Kinesis, is corroding badly around the dropouts and various stonechips.
    I can only speculate they don't (necessarily) build them like they used to. I had a verenti steel bike that failed at a weld on the rear dropout, I'd used it as a wet bike for about a year. When it came to stripping the frame it was a real fight getting the seatpost out due to all the rust.

YMMV, but ultimately rust isn't something you need to worry about with aluminium and carbon frames.

Anyhow, worth keeping an eye on it and making sure plenty of grease/copperslip is used in the assembly.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Corrosion isn't a real issue with steel frames. I've a 12,500km Fratello which has been through 3 winters and hasn't corroded and is still on the Tiagra I bought it with. No corrosion yet.
  • ugo.santalucia
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Corrosion isn't a real issue with steel frames. I've a 12,500km Fratello which has been through 3 winters and hasn't corroded and is still on the Tiagra I bought it with. No corrosion yet.

The point is that of all materials is the least suitable for a winter build... and since it is on average twice the cost of an alloy frame, it seems a rather pointless purchase
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    solboy10 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Whadya get?

It's as much of a winter bike as those you mentioned in your original post...
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Some steel frames seem to rust really fast others last for ages.

Paint finish, if stored in a dry heated builiding, or cold damp shed, type off steel etc, cleaning regime all factors.

Uk has a damp wet climate especially Scotland / Wales.

Ive seen a seat stay rusted all the way though bike was about 10yrs old.