Multi purpose bike for short commutes\towing child to school and weekend family rides

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    So as the RRP of this bike is 1k, chances are that it will be full whack when I come to buy it through the scheme.

So am thinking of trying to pick one up earlier, and hope to stumble on either a time when they might lop 20% off it, and or one of those occasions when they add an extra 10% off, sometimes they do it for a 2 hour slot as well, and then I also have BC discount, and I get 10% off the face value of vouchers through work - SO, if (There's a lot of IF's here) they dropped it to £800, AND had a 10% off flash deal, that would knock it down to £720.
    I could then get £72 off that with BC, which would make it £648, and then vouchers at 90% of that value would cost £583.

IF all of that came about, then it would likely cost me no more than going through the cycle to work scheme, maybe even less, as I am not a high rate tax payer.

Not really kept an eye on Boardman, and or Halfords sales at all recently, anyone on here know when and how often they tend to crop up?

Not overly expecting the 20% plus the 10% flash sale, but even just a 20% lopped off, plus BC + Vouchers would still make it as good a deal as cyclesheme I reckon, or not far off, AND I would get a good few months usage out of it, where as with the scheme, I would not see the bike until June at the very earliest.

Do they tend to have deals on around Spring\Easter at all?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Hmmm, my workplace have an improved offer for today only, which is instead of saving 10%, saving 16% on a reloadable card.

Contemplating charging one up in preparation for a sale in the coming months - stupid idea?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Hybrid Pro has been reduced to £800 at least once in 2017... I think.

Must confess I was under the impression that you shouldn't be allowed to use BC discount and then pay with vouchers, because some people can buy them at a discount through work. Maybe that is the theory, but staff aren't bothered/ignore the rules.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    The Hybrid Pro has been reduced to £800 at least once in 2017... I think.

Must confess I was under the impression that you shouldn't be allowed to use BC discount and then pay with vouchers, because some people can buy them at a discount through work. Maybe that is the theory, but staff aren't bothered/ignore the rules.

Ah fair enough, will keep my eyes peeled and mull it over.

Thing is to the store, it is simply a 'Gift Card' so could have been bought by a family member - my local store I always buy stuff using the card with usually a 10% benefit, and combine it with my BC card - so hoping that would remain the same.
    The 16% saving is looking tempting :?
    But then I am of course tied into using them, and them alone and not utilising the cycle2work scheme.

EDIT: Decided it is too risky - 20% off may never happen to this model, or they may not have stock in my size, in which case I have to but 10 Apollos or something.
    Will stick to the work scheme, and see what happens.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've always done the prepaid gift card and BC discount combination thing, works a treat.
    If you are limited to cycle2work at halfrauds, get the absolute minimum they will offer, as you then should get a 20% off voucher which lasts a year... Stack that with the prepaid card and boom.
    I've always got about £50 on a prepaid card for emergencies etc.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...