prudential ride london 100 advice

tbloke
tbloke Posts: 109
edited August 2017 in Road general
Im doing the ride london on sunday and was planning to do it on tubulars, i was just wondering if any one who has ridden before could tell me if its likely any of the support cars ( i assume there are lots? ) will be likely to cary spare tubs? i always cary some sealant and a spare tub anyway but would have a bit more confidence if i thought i would be able to get another one should the worst happen.

Plus obviously any other advice

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    tbloke wrote:
    Im doing the ride london on sunday and was planning to do it on tubulars, i was just wondering if any one who has ridden before could tell me if its likely any of the support cars ( i assume there are lots? ) will be likely to cary spare tubs? i always cary some sealant and a spare tub anyway but would have a bit more confidence if i thought i would be able to get another one should the worst happen.

I'm not sure if this post is serious but there are no support cars.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    You _might_ be able to pick something up at one of the drinks stations or hubs, but I wouldn't count on it. Probably worth asking the organisers ;)
  • tbloke
    Brakeless wrote:
    tbloke wrote:

Yes its serious, in the literature thats come through it says there is full mechanical support available and when i have done BHF rides in the past there are mechanic cars and mechanic stations at the door/drink/toilet stops.
  • tbloke
    JoeNobody wrote:
    You _might_ be able to pick something up at one of the drinks stations or hubs, but I wouldn't count on it. Probably worth asking the organisers ;)

Thanks for that, i have contacted the organiser they're not very helpful in respect of this to be honest as they just informed me they have no control over the mechanical support or what they will be stocking hence the question
  • Brakeless
    tbloke wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    tbloke wrote:

Yes its serious, in the literature thats come through it says there is full mechanical support available and when i have done BHF rides in the past there are mechanic cars and mechanic stations at the door/drink/toilet stops.

BHF ?
  • tbloke
    British Heart Foundation
  • Brakeless
    What has that got to do with Ride London ?
  • tbloke
    Brakeless wrote:
    What has that got to do with Ride London ?

you asked if i was being serious with my original post.
    I assume you thinks i wasn't being serious because i was expecting there to be mechanical support on the ride. I was trying to explain that the question was serious and the reason behind me asking was that i would expect there to be support on the ride as i have don't rides previously that did have support with the BHF rides being among them.

Have you ever done ride london? do you have anything constructive to add?
  • Brakeless
    I've done it 3 times thanks. I didn't think it was serious as the chances of there being spare tubs available is very slim and I don't for a minute think that charity rides have spare tubs available either. 99% or probably more of people doing Ride london will be on clinchers and that would be the sensible option for a ride like that.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    tbloke wrote:
    JoeNobody wrote:

Thanks for that, i have contacted the organiser they're not very helpful in respect of this to be honest as they just informed me they have no control over the mechanical support or what they will be stocking hence the question

I would put money on there being very little available and certainly no tubs. You'd probably be able to get an inner tube at the main hubs. If you're still going to use tubs, I'd advise you to look for bike shops on the route.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I thinks its your terminology - "support cars' have me thinking of the TDF team cars with half a dozen spare bikes on the roof.

Ive done loads of these charity rides IME theres usually a couple of transit vans - and a couple of mechanics at the various stops. So its there but probably wouldn't be wise to rely on it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have you ever punctured more than once per 100 mile ride ? If you're really worried about it you can always carry two spares.

Even if the mechanics carried tubs - you could be miles away from them so it pays to be self sufficient.
  • tbloke
    No I actually can't remember the last time I did puncture!
    On longer rides I normally carry 1 or 2 spare tubs some sealant, super glue and a roll of tub tape so I should be good. I was just curious more than anything. When I did London to Brighton off road a guy in the group had to buy a tyre as he destroyed a sidewalk and another had to have a mech cable replaced and the mechanic stops were fairly frequent and very helpful. They're basically just local bike shops that position themselves along the route from what I could see
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sorted then. Self sufficiency is the key. Have a good ride.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    For what it's worth OP I'm doing the ride on tubs too. Don't overthink it too much I reckon. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst as they say. I'm more worried about getting wiped out by a random.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I will be following this thread for LOLs. As you were.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tbloke wrote:

Are you the same guy who asked if there were timing mats at entrance/exit's of feed stations so that stops did not affect finish times?

What time are you looking to do it in BTW?

There are support cars, but they come along a bit later :wink:
  • Brakeless
    tbloke wrote:
    No I actually can't remember the last time I did puncture!
    On longer rides I normally carry 1 or 2 spare tubs some sealant, super glue and a roll of tub tape so I should be good. I was just curious more than anything. When I did London to Brighton off road a guy in the group had to buy a tyre as he destroyed a sidewalk and another had to have a mech cable replaced and the mechanic stops were fairly frequent and very helpful. They're basically just local bike shops that position themselves along the route from what I could see

Why are you riding Tubulars ?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Modern cyclists are so amusing.
  • Anonymous
    Brakeless wrote:

Tubulars are much nicer than clinchers generally, so great if people want to use them.

Surely you just have to accept that if 'the worse happens' its the same as wrecking a derailleur etc.......Game over.

If you don't accept that, then just use clinchers with very decent tyres and latex tubes.
  • Anonymous
    JGSI wrote:
    Sportive cyclists are so amusing.

Amazon drone drops would seem to be the answer though.
  • Brakeless
    Carbonator wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Tubulars are much nicer than clinchers generally, so great if people want to use them.

Surely you just have to accept that if 'the worse happens' its the same as wrecking a derailleur etc.......Game over.

If you don't accept that, then just use clinchers with very decent tyres and latex tubes.

I know what tubulars are :roll:

The question was 'Why is the OP riding them in this event '
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Either take a spare tub with you, or ride with clinchers and a spare inner tube - don't hope for service stations to have tubs as the service stops are not particularly frequent, nor likely to have them.
  • Anonymous
    Brakeless wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

I did not say you did not know :roll:
    I was giving you the answer to why he may be using them, because they are nicer to ride!
  • Anonymous
    If anyone on BHF or RLS does have a tub for sale, I hope they charge a fcuking fortune for it!
  • Brakeless
    Carbonator wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

I was giving you the answer to why he may be using them, because they are nicer to ride!

I could guess why he was thinking of riding them. I just thought I'd ask. But thanks for guessing for me.
  • Anonymous
    Brakeless wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

I could guess why he was thinking of riding them. I just thought I'd ask. But thanks for guessing for me.

Lets see if he replies then :wink: Why do you care why he is using them?

My comment was because you seemed to be saying riding tubulars (in the event) was unnecessary.
    Not that I was at all having a go at you if you were.
  • tbloke
    i asked the question because according to the ride london website there will be 100,000 cyclists taking part in the event, to my mind that meant it would be fairly well supported by local bike shops etc and there would be mechanical assistance along the route.
    Having done events previously that are much smaller but very well supported i didn't think this to be an unreasonable assumption obviously i was wrong!

No i didn't ask about timing chips at feed stations I'm not particularly concerned about my time just about enjoying the day

I ride tubular because i don't have the luxury of a selection of sets of wheels i have 2 sets of wheels both tubs, the reason i ride tubs in the first place is because they are lighter, less rotational mass, higher pressure for less rolling resistance, less likely to get a puncture but thats no guarente you won't! etc I'm sure everyone reading this knows the benefits of tubulars ( as well as the pit falls ) all of the reasons to ride them are marginal gains but i ride with 1 leg so any gain i can get i will gladly take no matter how small it may be!!

I don't have a particular time in mind i just want to have a good day in nice weather with nice people.

I was always told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask but that doesn't seem to apply here for some reason! maybe your all members of mensa and know all the answers to everything so all questions appear to be stupid to you who knows.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    tbloke wrote:
    i asked the question because according to the ride london website there will be 100,000 cyclists taking part in the event, to my mind that meant it would be fairly well supported by local bike shops etc and there would be mechanical assistance along the route.
    Having done events previously that are much smaller but very well supported i didn't think this to be an unreasonable assumption obviously i was wrong!

No i didn't ask about timing chips at feed stations I'm not particularly concerned about my time just about enjoying the day

I ride tubular because i don't have the luxury of a selection of sets of wheels i have 2 sets of wheels both tubs, the reason i ride tubs in the first place is because they are lighter, less rotational mass, higher pressure for less rolling resistance, less likely to get a puncture but thats no guarente you won't! etc I'm sure everyone reading this knows the benefits of tubulars ( as well as the pit falls ) all of the reasons to ride them are marginal gains but i ride with 1 leg so any gain i can get i will gladly take no matter how small it may be!!

I don't have a particular time in mind i just want to have a good day in nice weather with nice people.

I was always told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask but that doesn't seem to apply here for some reason! maybe your all members of mensa and know all the answers to everything so all questions appear to be stupid to you who knows.

I think there are about 25,000 people doing the event on Sunday - it definitely isn't 100,000

There are a few specified places on the route that can provide bike repairs etc, but on a 100 mile route the likelihood of you getting a puncture close enough to one of them to easily walk to it is fairly slim. You have probably been sent the map of the event by now so on there you'll see they are spread fairly wide apart.

I don't remember seeing any mobile support bikes etc, they may well be operating on the route but if they do I would suspect they'll have a few inner tubes with them, but probably not tubular.

At places on the route you do go very close to a few bike shops, but bear in mind the start is early and most of them won't be open on a Sunday until 11am.

As per my advice above, I would take a spare tubular with you if you can't do the ride with clinchers.

And I was polite in my mail above, and in this one, and don't claim to be in Mensa.......
  • tbloke
    tbloke wrote:

I think there are about 25,000 people doing the event on Sunday - it definitely isn't 100,000

There are a few specified places on the route that can provide bike repairs etc, but on a 100 mile route the likelihood of you getting a puncture close enough to one of them to easily walk to it is fairly slim. You have probably been sent the map of the event by now so on there you'll see they are spread fairly wide apart.

I don't remember seeing any mobile support bikes etc, they may well be operating on the route but if they do I would suspect they'll have a few inner tubes with them, but probably not tubular.

At places on the route you do go very close to a few bike shops, but bear in mind the start is early and most of them won't be open on a Sunday until 11am.

As per my advice above, I would take a spare tubular with you if you can't do the ride with clinchers.

And I was polite in my mail above, and in this one, and don't claim to be in Mensa.......

It was in no way aimed at you sir i appreciate your comments, as i appreciate the other helpful ones who have also posted. There are however a few who could benefit from one of my mothers old sayings
    " if you have nothing nice to say then best to say nothing at all "
    I got the figures directly from the ride london website so i can only assume they are correct. below is copied from the frequently asked questions section of the site.

What is Prudential RideLondon?
    Prudential RideLondon is the world’s greatest festival of cycling, with more than 100,000 cyclists expected to participate during the weekend of 28-30 July 2017. This will be the fifth edition of the festival.

The festival was developed by the Mayor of London, London & Partners and Transport for London in partnership with Surrey County Council. The event is managed by the London & Surrey Cycling Partnership (LSCP) and sponsored by Prudential.