Final Tour mark overall

124»

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    inseine wrote:
    Why does Kittel ride a Cannondale?
    As QS ride Specialized bikes, I can't see any good reason why he would be on "the usual Cannondale".
    fat daddy wrote:
    Kittel doesn't ride for Cannondale ... he rides for Quickstep
    Yes, my not-thinking mistake, :oops: :oops: :oops:
    I got confused by the photo showing the Cannondale bike on the ground near Kittel (and I did say, I hope I’ve got my facts right, in anticipation of a mistake).

QuickStep’s normal bike of course is the Specialized Tarmac.
    Stage 11 looks very much like a Specialized with disc brakes.
    I'd agree

I’m relating info I got from a journalist, and he said Kittel only used the disc-brakes bike on the stages 2, 6, 7 and 10.
    I know a finish in Pau typically means a sprint finish and so one would expect Kittel to also use the bike there, but the journalist didn’t say so.
    I can’t tell from the front-on photo, I haven’t seen a sideways-on photo of Kittel from that stage, and on the youtube video of the last km, it's also too difficult for me to tell what Kittel is on.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    knedlicky wrote:
    I can’t tell from the front-on photo, I haven’t seen a sideways-on photo of Kittel from that stage, and on the youtube video of the last km, it's also too difficult for me to tell what Kittel is on.

I may be wrong but I assume you'd see a rim brake caliper on Kittel's bike if it weren't disc in the front view.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Daniel Friebe‏ @friebos · 9h9 hours ago

Tour de France vintages, 2002-17
    5 glasses -2003
    4 glasses -2006, 2008, 2011
    3 glasses -2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2017
    2 glasses - 2004, 2012, 2014, 2016
    1 glass - 2002, 2005
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tdf2017gcstandings.jpg
    Credit - Inner Ring
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    I may be wrong but I assume you'd see a rim brake caliper on Kittel's bike if it weren't disc in the front view.
    I understand your logic but the custom-made special front-wheel calipers made for the substitute Venga Vias sit at the back of the front forks, not at the front, so wouldn't easily be seen in a front-on photo.
    Meaning it’s not impossible Kittel rode the substitute for this stage, in which case the journalist was right saying he didn’t ride with disc brakes on stage 11, but at the same time meaning Kittel rode the model for sprinting rather than the Tarmac.
    A photo from stage 11 showing a rotor, or not, would clarify.

If you’re a fan of Kittel maybe this is of interest to you:
    https://www.unitedcharity.de/en/Auctions/Green-Jersey-Kittel
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Trying to decide what's more dreary: Specialized or Kittel?
  • meanredspider
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    I understand your logic but the custom-made special front-wheel calipers made for the substitute Venga Vias sit at the back of the front forks, not at the front, so wouldn't easily be seen in a front-on photo.
    Meaning it’s not impossible Kittel rode the substitute for this stage, in which case the journalist was right saying he didn’t ride with disc brakes on stage 11, but at the same time meaning Kittel rode the model for sprinting rather than the Tarmac.
    A photo from stage 11 showing a rotor, or not, would clarify.

If you’re a fan of Kittel maybe this is of interest to you:
    https://www.unitedcharity.de/en/Auctions/Green-Jersey-Kittel

Thanks - that did occur to me. That said, I believe you can see the black piping to the front caliper inside the fork in that photo.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Trying to decide what's more dreary: Specialized or Kittel?
    Both?
  • meanredspider
    gettyimages_813268934_670.jpg

At this point in the stage, he has discs

The following day, when he was feeling rough:

cycling-104th-tour-de-france-2017-stage-16-marcel-kittel-green-sprint-picture-id818393940?s=612x612
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Even though I also only gave it a 5, there were some truly wonderful moments in this tour that clearly made it worth watching.

Stage 9 was epic and so was the polemica of stage 4. I loved the tactical execution of Sky to push the pace to force a split on the stage Aru and Martin couldn't hold the wheels. Also the heartbreak of Bodnar getting caught at the very end and finding redemption in the ITT and EBH surfing the shorter path through the roundabout and punching it after to drop Nikias Arndt. The coolness with which Sagan unclipped and clipped back in to win a stage everyone expected him to win. The world's prettiest road :wink: etc. etc.

As with all things in life, you find joy in the details. The Tour reflects this.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    7/10 it was a very interesting tour but had a big block of boring stages, a lot of which was the teams fault IMO. you need to pressurise the sprint teams every day to weaken their ability to bring that one break that doesn't get caught. some of the other teams could have got into the breaks to strengthen them . not just the wild cards. Cofidis..good grief what was their battle plan?

the entire race was a "pressure boiler" the gc teams could never relax, surprised so few of them crashed TBH. the lack of separation on GC just kept them all on edge. Skys use of off the bike soundbites by Froome to crack Porte was marked, talk about marginal gains!

those who didn't get it clearly are inferior observers of the sport who don't understand what they see unfolding in front of them unlike myself who clearly has superior seasoned insight and should be taken more seriously and praised endlessly for deigning to post his opinion on this forum.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328

those who didn't get it clearly are inferior observers of the sport who don't understand what they see unfolding in front of them unlike myself who clearly has superior seasoned insight and should be taken more seriously and praised endlessly for deigning to post his opinion on this forum.

All hail mididoctors.

Shame you weren't more active on the stage spoiler threads, we could all have learnt so much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Exhibit C
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • tailwindhome
    I'd have happily watched another week
  • mididoctors

All hail mididoctors.

Shame you weren't more active on the stage spoiler threads, we could all have learnt so much.

Yes it was a shame I didn't have the time at the time. Clearly, this forum suffered from my absence. thou I appreciate your belated support and recognition of my contributions.

psst! wasn't being serious when I wrote that, not sure if you got that or not?.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328

All hail mididoctors.

Yes it was a shame I didn't have the time at the time. Clearly, this forum suffered from my absence. thou I appreciate your belated support and recognition of my contributions.

those who didn't get it clearly are inferior observers of the forum who don't understand what they see unfolding in front of them unlike myself who clearly has superior seasoned insight and should be taken more seriously and praised endlessly for deigning to post his opinion on this forum.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

All hail mididoctors.

those who didn't get it clearly are inferior observers of the forum who don't understand what they see unfolding in front of them unlike myself who clearly has superior seasoned insight and should be taken more seriously and praised endlessly for deigning to post his opinion on this forum.

Ladies and gentlemen - welcome to the world's first mobius thread...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Actually, 'Mobius Thread' sound like some sort of prog-rock affair.

"Ah, yes, I saw them at Glasto, of course, down in the pig-sty field, just after the 'Pedro Deglardo' LP; although I didn't think they were the same after they sacked the drummer for experimenting with 14/15 time on Festina Affair, obviously..."
  • mididoctors
    i didn't fight in the punk wars just to end up listening to prog rock
  • Actually, 'Mobius Thread' sound like some sort of prog-rock affair.

"Ah, yes, I saw them at Glasto, of course, down in the pig-sty field, just after the 'Pedro Deglardo' LP; although I didn't think they were the same after they sacked the drummer for experimenting with 14/15 time on Festina Affair, obviously..."

"had a terrible time trying to flush the PEDs down the Glasto portaloos...still have flashbacks"
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    I felt the sprint and other categories had some action.

I felt, despite the "close" time for the GC contenders, that the GC was a huge yawn.

Not to diminish a massive achievement for Froome, but he has a stellar team.

The biggest yawn to me was moving so many finishes away from the summits. Bring back more summit finishes.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    i didn't fight in the punk wars just to end up listening to prog rock

The sands of time have put these mere trifles to rest. The UK Subs and John Lydon have shown the way by admitting (through confession following many episodes of the OGWT) that they're greatest infuences were Jethro Tull & Camel all along.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Dan gets some bonus MTFU points, apparently he had two fractured vertebrae after that tangle with RP!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-mar ... ce-top-10/
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo