specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited July 2017 in Pro race
7+ Hot and cold. But was more than the sum of it's parts

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Only a 5 from me.

I should be happy as won quite a bit with froome and uran podium spots, but I found this to be possibly the most boring tdf I have watched.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    A solid 4
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    4/10 for me.

There were some good individual stages but the parcours was just not working for a decent GC race.

When you break it down, Froome put time into Bardet and Uran on 4 stages. Uran and Bardet put time into Froome on 1 stage. The stages just didn't seem to offer enough to make a real difference.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    iainf72 wrote:
    When you break it down, Froome put time into Bardet and Uran on 4 stages. Uran and Bardet put time into Froome on 1 stage. The stages just didn't seem to offer enough to make a real difference.

One of those stages wasn't even considered a GC stage.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Four? Blimey!

Six, there was a GC battle. Flats were a training ride to a 5km setup sprint, but to be expected.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    5 for me. GT's need to be decided in the mountains, and there wasn't enough action there this time.

That being said, I don't mind race organizers throwing sprinters and all rounders a bone occasionally with the parkour. Those type of riders are as much a part of cycling as the climbers.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Five I think.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    A solid 8
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    5/10

Good:
    Sunweb - stupendous racing, with Barguil especially riding brilliantly
    Dan Martin - brave and aggressive

Bad:
    The GC battle only really happened in the last 500m of a couple of stages or following mechanicals
    Cav and Sagan going out early, leaving one completely dominant sprinter who then crashed out
    Crashes taking out Valverde and Porte
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

One of those stages wasn't even considered a GC stage.

Yup. Comparing it to last year, Bardet put time into Froome on 3 stages. And Quintana the same (I think)

I might do a comparison of the last few years and movement of top 3 throughout the race. If it follows the same pattern it means either a) Froome was more formidable than usual or b) the route was bumwash.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    So long as Sky dominate in they way they do, it can never be more than a 5 (for the GC)

how can you have an entertaining GC race when you ve team of potential tour winners ALL riding for Froome? he will always win, incidents aside.

Its not Sky's fault but they have turned the TDF into the F1 of the Schmacher era.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    If last year was 3 this was 5.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Bad:
    The GC battle only really happened in the last 500m of a couple of stages or following mechanicals
    Cav and Sagan going out early, leaving one completely dominant sprinter who then crashed out

Both Valverde and Porte took themselves out, cant hold that against the Tour, in fact, that they crashed pushing too hard kind of made gave it an edge.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited July 2017
    6/10

Good
    AG2R and Dan Martin with their attacking spirit rather than settling for conservative GC places
    Wanty and TdG pretty much ever present in the breakaways
    Kwiato being immense for his team
    Prettiest road in the world
    ITV4 covering the race live

Bad
    Losing too many key riders and early on to boot - Valverde, G, Porte, Sagan, Cav
    The parcours, which provided a close finish but denied us any real opportunity to see the GC contenders really race one another
    Stick Froome gets
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Bad:

Both Valverde and Porte took themselves out, cant hold that against the Tour, in fact, that they crashed pushing too hard kind of gave it an edge.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    6 for me

I think it was worth trying something a bit different, but we're not really going to see much change in GTs until we cut the team size down to 6 or 7.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I feel like a fool saying a 7 but I honestly found it a good Tour. If you take the number of individual exciting stages rather how they shaped the overall then it was good.
    I'd be interested to hear if people who gave it a 4 think they've ever seen a 10 or the just find stage races a bit dull.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    6 from me
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    It was a tour of extremes: some extremely entertaining stages, but rather more in the way of extremely dull stages.
    Factoring in the pros and cons of a close GC..

A solid 5.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    inseine wrote:
    I feel like a fool saying a 7 but I honestly found it a good Tour. If you take the number of individual exciting stages rather how they shaped the overall then it was good.
    I'd be interested to hear if people who gave it a 4 think they've ever seen a 10 or the just find stage races a bit dull.
    It's hard for a stage race to get a ten. And individual stage might. Stage 9 was a genuinely one of the great stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    I'll be generous, and give it a 6; which when there was a close GC battle seems slightly strange - but it never really seemed to get going. I think this years route was the problem; very few TT kms, and only 3 MTFs; possibly/ probably designed to be Bardet friendly.
    Will we see another similar route to help him? I hope not.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    6 I think. If either of the latter mountain stages had properly kicked off it would have been a 7.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    On the basis that 5 would be an average Tour I'll give it a 5. The closeness of the GC was better than average (just needed a minute extra on his bad stage to be really interesting) but there were fewer exciting stages than most years and we lost more contenders in the GC and points competitions than normal. The route got some things right, I tend to enjoy medium mountain stages from a racing point of view but it lacked a really good MTF. I think it would have benefitted with some of the dull sprinters stages being on the coast where you are more at the mercy of the winds.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    There seems to be some sort of consensus that overall it would rate as an average Tour. Just some people think average is 4 or 5 or 6!
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    It was building up really nicely up to the Pyrenees, but fizzled out a bit after that.
    The time gaps were tight, but never genuinely saw anyone winning other than Froome with the TT on the horizon.

I've enjoyed the past couple of Giro/Vuelta more as they were in the balance up until the last stage or two.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    A 5 for me.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    3 to 4. Can't remember the last time that I've not enjoyed the TdF. Nothing really kicked off in the mountains, and I don't think that was down to Sky dominance. If Landa and Nieve are off to other teams for their own GC ambitions who's gonna fill those spots?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Probably a seven. Should have been an eight but it never quite reached the climax it deserved. Some stages that promised little turned in great racing, some stages that offered great racing just about delivered, and the best I can say about the underwhelming stages is that it's preferable for them to underwhelm than for a promising stage to be bobbins. At least you don't feel robbed by it, except apparently everyone else does...
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Mr Goo wrote:
    3 to 4. Can't remember the last time that I've not enjoyed the TdF. Nothing really kicked off in the mountains, and I don't think that was down to Sky dominance. If Landa and Nieve are off to other teams for their own GC ambitions who's gonna fill those spots?

Poels, Kennaugh, Intxausti, Lopez, Deignan ...
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Using Robert Parker's 100 point scale, I'll give this 80/100. So that's a 6/10 for the weirdos.

Close GC battle which somehow felt it was never really know doubt - at the very least, having the second TT would have felt better at end second/start of third week.

In spite of riders leaving the race, he battle for green was finely balanced right up to the point that kittel had to withdraw.

Barguil winning KOM was great, but I now wish we would have seen what he could have done targeting GC.

Too many pan-flat sprint stages and too few middle mountains. Then again, I love middle-mountain stages so much that I'd love it if Proudhomme followed thru with his threat to run 21 such stages.

So yeah. Some good, some not so good but a pleasant three weeks bike racing.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy