Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Banjoed lower lumbar

ExCyclistExCyclist Posts: 336
edited August 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Lumbago as they call it.

Now for a number of weeks lay off from the bike. Honestly never take the michael out of those with bad backs again. And I'll never do barbell rows again without paying attention.

So swimming and stretching it is.

:(

Posts

  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Go explain your problem to a pilates trainer - you can build up your core muscles so its not just the back doing all of the work.
  • kingrollokingrollo Posts: 3,147
    Pre ride warm and post ride stretching. Check your bike fit.

    I wouldn't actually think cycling would make this worse if you can tolerate the pain. I prefer Yoga to pilates but keep the back muscles from tightening up - ohhhh and stretch those hamstrings every day they can be the cause of much back pain.
  • ExCyclistExCyclist Posts: 336
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pre ride warm and post ride stretching. Check your bike fit.

    I wouldn't actually think cycling would make this worse if you can tolerate the pain. I prefer Yoga to pilates but keep the back muscles from tightening up - ohhhh and stretch those hamstrings every day they can be the cause of much back pain.

    Aye I'm stretching for 15 mins in the morning when I get up now - otherwise I'm walking like I've cacked myself. My bike fit is spot on still however till I fully recover I may raise the headset a little (10mm) just to give me that bit relief - if needed.

    Your second point is nearly spot on - just done a 30 minute session in the gym on the bike (GCN 30 minute session) and my back felt fine - no pain. Again though I had the bike set up for a 'relaxed' position. Still got to 183rpm on a sprint session which was me not giving it the usual heaving on the bars but holding back.

    Pilates I might look into. It's a time thing with my family and work life.
  • ExCyclist wrote:
    Lumbago as they call it.

    And I'll never do barbell rows again without paying attention.
    Rows are a killer for backs or hamstrings. If it's squat or deadlift (which is pretty much every session) then I stick to single arms 'Meadow' rows for exactly this reason. Hope you heal up quick.
  • ExCyclistExCyclist Posts: 336
    ExCyclist wrote:
    Lumbago as they call it.

    And I'll never do barbell rows again without paying attention.
    Rows are a killer for backs or hamstrings. If it's squat or deadlift (which is pretty much every session) then I stick to single arms 'Meadow' rows for exactly this reason. Hope you heal up quick.

    Aye I've taken the Rows off my workout list. No way are they being done again.
  • bikes`n`gunsbikes`n`guns Posts: 961
    ExCyclist wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pre ride warm and post ride stretching. Check your bike fit.

    I wouldn't actually think cycling would make this worse if you can tolerate the pain. I prefer Yoga to pilates but keep the back muscles from tightening up - ohhhh and stretch those hamstrings every day they can be the cause of much back pain.

    Aye I'm stretching for 15 mins in the morning when I get up now - otherwise I'm walking like I've cacked myself. My bike fit is spot on still however till I fully recover I may raise the headset a little (10mm) just to give me that bit relief - if needed.

    Your second point is nearly spot on - just done a 30 minute session in the gym on the bike (GCN 30 minute session) and my back felt fine - no pain. Again though I had the bike set up for a 'relaxed' position. Still got to 183rpm on a sprint session which was me not giving it the usual heaving on the bars but holding back.

    Pilates I might look into. It's a time thing with my family and work life.

    Careful with that, sometimes the reverse is the way to go.
    I have lower back issues and find I`m lowering my stem as time goes on to relieve pressure on my lower back.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • pilot_petepilot_pete Posts: 1,961
    My lowest lumber disc is toast - had some degree of pain since my twenties and been having treatment for the last few years, now aged 50. Next stage is a spinal fusion op which I am looking at this winter.

    I used to be a runner, and an Army PTI so too much running, throwing myself on the floor, landing with 30kg of weight on my back etc etc. All abuse really, followed by standing on guard with a rifle for hour after painful hour!

    So, running has been impossible for a number of years, indoor rowing went well from late thirties into my early forties and been cycling for the last ten years.

    I have found it very tollerable, especially in a less upright road bike position as it tends to open the vertebrae and take pressure off. Standing is agony, for anything more than 5 minutes. I am doing core exercises and losing a little weight, mainly to get faster on hills, but it will help with the back too.

    Reason I am opting for the spinal fusion is quality of life - I can't go dog walking with the wife as I look like the proverbial old man hobbling after 15 minutes and it is not an enjoyable experience. Kids are getting to the moving on stage so it will soon be 'our time' and I want to enjoy it. Plus my wife is going to be town mayor next spring, so I will be 'consorting' at many events - bit like the Duke of Edinburgh or Dennis Thatcher - standing in the background upsetting the locals!!! This will involve lots of standing around and so far this year as deputy mayor I have already been in agony on a number of occasions...!

    So, I feel your pain and sympathise greatly. I remember many years ago as a cocky PTI when I used to think everyone with an injury just needed to 'man up'. What an idiot I was then...

    PP
  • ExCyclistExCyclist Posts: 336
    Well a little over two weeks on and thankfully I'm getting 'back' to normal. Aching now tends to be the issue but the spasms and pain has subsided. Stretching is a wonderful feeling.

    Thanks for the advice and help - much appreciated.
Sign In or Register to comment.