Ultegra 8000, what's new?

2»

Comments

• W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Sure, the R8000 cassettes in general are backwards compatible, but whether or not an 11-30T could be used with a short cage RD is another issue.

I've just looked up the specs for an RD-6800-SS and it states a max sprocket size of 28T and a capacity of 33T; so an 11-30T would be officially incompatible on both fronts (with the required capacity being 35T on most normal chainring combos) but as you say, there are plenty of anecdotes of people exceeding these specs.

I reckon there's a good chance it will work, but it'd be good to hear some first hand feedback if anyone tries it.

I use a short cage 6800 RD with a 32 cassette on 2 bikes with no issues over many thousands of miles.
    One with 36-50 front and the other with 34-46.
    May help your decision.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    The Ultegra R8000 cassettes are down to £59.99 now on CRC; I'm very tempted to give the 11-30 a try.
  • The Ultegra R8000 cassettes are down to £59.99 now on CRC; I'm very tempted to give the 11-30 a try.

What are you using at the moment
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    An 11-28T, which will no doubt elicit some kind of sarcastic response, but I still mourn the loss of my 30T big cog from when I switched from 10 to 11-speed!

All it would achieve is to switch the top 3 cogs from 23-25-28 to 24-27-30, but my knees aren't hugely keen on mashing a low cadence these days, so every little helps.
  • The 11-30T cassettes are available for £52 on CRC at the moment, which is the cheapest I've seen them; combined with the BC discount (assuming you find a few other things to bring it up to £99) effectively brings it under £50, so I've finally ordered one!

I'll report back as to whether it works with a short cage derailleur and compact chainset, but I'm still fairly optimistic!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod161365
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I've got one of the 11/30 cassettes, and it works nicely, 36x30 for example is lower than 34x28 (just), and the 27 and 24 are both great and the gaps are more manageable. if I were a cynic, I wish they'd put a 16tooth in there for cruising along, probably instead of the 17...
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
      If the stars align correctly over the next few months, in September I might treat myself to the new 8000 groupset, hence I need work out possible cockups and incompatibilities

As I understand, the rear mech is Shadow, which is great as I already have a shadow rear mech... the brakes have expanded clearance, which is great again, as I use bigger tyres and my frame really needs the 49 mm drop... it comes also in 36/46 flavour, which I do like a lot and it comes with 32 T cassette, which again I like a lot.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

Did you go for this yet Ugo? If yes, any word on the calipers vs 5800s (clearance, feel)? I initially thought that it might be time to grab a bargain 6800 group, but prices seem to have gone up if anything making 8000 more attractive. Also, it does look quite nice.
    • mrb123
      mrb123 Posts: 4,787
      Alex99 wrote:
        If the stars align correctly over the next few months, in September I might treat myself to the new 8000 groupset, hence I need work out possible cockups and incompatibilities

As I understand, the rear mech is Shadow, which is great as I already have a shadow rear mech... the brakes have expanded clearance, which is great again, as I use bigger tyres and my frame really needs the 49 mm drop... it comes also in 36/46 flavour, which I do like a lot and it comes with 32 T cassette, which again I like a lot.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

Did you go for this yet Ugo? If yes, any word on the calipers vs 5800s (clearance, feel)? I initially thought that it might be time to grab a bargain 6800 group, but prices seem to have gone up if anything making 8000 more attractive. Also, it does look quite nice.

I think Ugo has left the building...
      • MrB123 wrote:

He is still in the building, he simply no longer craves for pointless discussions on here. He is still cycling, he hasn't upgraded to Ultegra 8000 though. In fact, over the past couple of months, he has also saved himself a lot of money from equally pointless upgrades... :shock:

Merry Christams to all :wink:
        left the forum March 2023
      • Alex99
        Alex99 Posts: 1,407
        MrB123 wrote:

He is still in the building, he simply no longer craves for pointless discussions on here. He is still cycling, he hasn't upgraded to Ultegra 8000 though. In fact, over the past couple of months, he has also saved himself a lot of money from equally pointless upgrades... :shock:

Merry Christams to all :wink:

Heh heh. I had a feeling. Merry Xmas.
      • So, with the Ultegra R8000, what is the maximum size of sprocket that can be run with a short cage derailleur?
        Previously I think we were limited to 28 tooth maximum - does the Shadow derailleur allow us to go up to 30; or even 32 tooth cassettes?

I'd probably be looking at a 36/52 with an 11/28 cassette as standard - just trying to understand what options are available (apart from Rule #5) for higher / longer gradients.

Cheers,
        D
      • So, with the Ultegra R8000, what is the maximum size of sprocket that can be run with a short cage derailleur?
        Previously I think we were limited to 28 tooth maximum - does the Shadow derailleur allow us to go up to 30; or even 32 tooth cassettes?

Officially a 30 for the short cage, but lots of people have reported running the DA R9100 short cage with an 11-32 with no problems.
      • So to update this, I installed the R8000 11-30T cassette on my bike that has a 6800 short-cage derailleur.

If you don't have a chain installed then the derailleur cage will spring back so far that the top jockey wheel will collide with the 30T cog. With a chain installed and a bit of chain tension on the derailleur cage, it easily pulls it far forward enough to clear the 30T on both the big and small chainrings. So it's a little bit of a bodge, but it works absolutely fine.

I'd guess that's why it's not "officially" compatible but my main concern in that the short-cage wouldn't have enough capacity to cover all the gears didn't turn out to be an issue.