TdF 2017: Stage 17 La Mure - Serre-Chevalier 183kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Anyone know the bookies odds for at least one FDJ rider making it to Paris?

Plus has any team, ever, started but not made it to the end of a grand tour?
    Exceptional circumstances, but Leopard Trek - Giro 2011 after Weylandt's death.

Festina '98
    Once '89 I believe.

Can't remember if TVM also quit in '98
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    RichN95 wrote:
    Looks like Brailsford has reactivated Skybot Swift - pulling on the front now in support of Froome.
    Isn't Contador threatening whatever top ten position Meintjes has?

Battling for 8th position. The height of ambition.

WT points quite useful for UAE though, and a 4 min gap to get any higher
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Astana domestique on another level
    Contador changing bikes again after solo efforts
    the circus continue...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The adverts and David Millar were the reasons I couldn't deal with the ITV4 coverage.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The adverts and David Millar were the reasons I couldn't deal with the ITV4 coverage.

I would hit mute - but I can't sit here watching it - so the audio is an attention grabber...
    Haven't got Eurosport ... don't really want to pay for it either ..
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    Anyone know the bookies odds for at least one FDJ rider making it to Paris?

Plus has any team, ever, started but not made it to the end of a grand tour?
    Exceptional circumstances, but Leopard Trek - Giro 2011 after Weylandt's death.

Festina '98
    Once '89 I believe.

Can't remember if TVM also quit in '98

PDM?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    '91?
  • above_the_cows
    Has dish_dash succumbed to his road rash? Only I want to commiserate. Watching this stage while sitting on the sofa is decidedly painful.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    McLay abandon? :-(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows

Terrible for him. Good news for Rowe.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

It was a long time coming.

Like his finish on the last couple of stages....
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Agreed. Terrible for him to have to abandon whilst still on stage 16.

I'll be honest - I feared the worst for him after yesterday showed he hadn't recovered on the rest day.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    Slowbike wrote:

I would hit mute - but I can't sit here watching it - so the audio is an attention grabber...

£20 for the whole year on an offer in January was money well spent. They might do it again next year.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Rain drops reported
  • above_the_cows
    Slowbike wrote:

£20 for the whole year on an offer in January was money well spent. They might do it again next year.

Eurosport NL had an offer during the Tour for €29 for the whole year. I had to do it because for the first few days it was only on Eurosport 2 and I don't have that on my regular TV. The commentators are better than Carlton so it's all good.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Agreed. Terrible for him to have to abandon whilst still on stage 16.

I'll be honest - I feared the worst for him after yesterday showed he hadn't recovered on the rest day.

Yep. I thought the same
    I'm worried GBRMC Lay may have gone too hard too early. Opening big gaps like that two days running is often a sign that a rider will try and go even bigger the next day and end up missing the cut. He needs to rein it in, it's going to be a hard and fast day in the mountains.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646
    If Contador gained 5 mins today (unlikely) it would leave him 2m10s behind. It would also mean moving from 11th to 8th.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Slowbike wrote:

That was the point that I clicked too. Worth it for the Classics & Giro (although I much prefer ITV4 commentary on the tour).
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    That was the point that I clicked too. Worth it for the Classics & Giro (although I much prefer ITV4 commentary on the tour).

On a day like today, I'd watch it with just the crowd noise all the time if I could watch it properly and didn't have to work at the same time.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646
    Slowbike wrote:

I'm quite pleased with it as well, and I have Sky Go / Belkin @TV too.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819
    Orica join UAE in the panic stakes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slowbike
    Don't have time to watch in comfort - so mostly watch the highlights - just streaming on my phone at work - quietly - whilst I can ... £20 for the year - would basically mean £20 to watch TdF stream live ... so whilst it's good value if you've got time to watch - it's not if you don't ...
    Of course, last year we had Sky+ with Eurosport included - I canned that when I realised we were watching less than 1hr of TV a day - and that was from the freeview channels....

Now - Milkshake TV - yes - I'd get that ... :)
  • slowbike
    So Orica Scott on the front - que cut to adverts - just waiting for Millar to complain that they're working for Sky too ...

Seems if you're with the Sky group you're not allowed to work you must just sit on. But if it's Contador - then that's ok, you can push him up the road ...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

Typical Sky, they know how deep they can go without compromising the next day. My man back where he belongs (unless some Jonny Foreigner tried to get in on the action).
  • Dare we dream Bertie can win this yet?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Slowbike wrote:
    Don't have time to watch in comfort - so mostly watch the highlights - just streaming on my phone at work - quietly - whilst I can ... £20 for the year - would basically mean £20 to watch TdF stream live ... so whilst it's good value if you've got time to watch - it's not if you don't ...
    Of course, last year we had Sky+ with Eurosport included - I canned that when I realised we were watching less than 1hr of TV a day - and that was from the freeview channels....

Now - Milkshake TV - yes - I'd get that ... :)

Mobdro is what you need if you have an Android phone.
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    Slowbike wrote:
    So Orica Scott on the front - que cut to adverts - just waiting for Millar to complain that they're working for Sky too ...

Seems if you're with the Sky group you're not allowed to work you must just sit on. But if it's Contador - then that's ok, you can push him up the road ...

He hasn't complained people are working for Sky. He bemoaned UAE for defending 8th place and suggested Yates has stage ambitions.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819
    Contador showing his class by expecting Roglic and Pauwels to do all the work for him.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Quintana dropped again
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Do we think Millar criticising people helping Sky is sour grapes at his slap down from joining them?