Sexy Dr Who

13»

Comments

• rjsterry wrote:
    Is that rather lame trolling or do you actually know someone like this?
    You take this a bit serious :shock:
    Just a bit of banter.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    jc4lab wrote:
    Instead of the master maybe the mistress...cyberwomen,,,evil lady daleks (and you thought the others were scary)
    missy-michellegomez-doctorwho.jpg?w=748&h=420&crop=1
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just a bit of banter.
    Frank, I reckon most people know someone like this :) . Unfortunately when you come into 'PC World' this is viewed as a criminal offence.

After having read this thread, I think I'll have to watch the new series and see what all the fuss is about.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just a bit of banter.
    Frank, I reckon most people know someone like this :) . Unfortunately when you come into 'PC World' this is viewed as a criminal offence.

After having read this thread, I think I'll have to watch the new series and see what all the fuss is about.
    Probably I was taking it too seriously - I tend to do that. Also poorly worded post on my part.

Anyway, Whittaker will have her work cut out if Michelle Gomez is in many episodes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Anyway, Whittaker will have her work cut out if Michelle Gomez is in many episodes.
    True, that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just a bit of banter.

I don't think I will Stevo.
    Not really watched Dr Who since I realised there was no need to hide behind the sofa. :D:D:D
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just a bit of banter.

Not really watched Dr Who since I realised there was no need to hide behind the sofa. :D:D:D
    I did that when I was a kid. Then when I was in my thirties I thought I would re-watch the episodes that scared me witless and couldn't stop laughing at the tin foil and papier mache special effects :)
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just a bit of banter.

I did that when I was a kid. Then when I was in my thirties I thought I would re-watch the episodes that scared me witless and couldn't stop laughing at the tin foil and papier mache special effects :)
    Life was simpler back then fella. :D
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    Life was simpler back then fella. :D
    So were the special effects :)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    4kicks wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well go on then: explain what you meant instead of getting all sniffy about it. What is the difference that you see between Jodie Whittaker working with Chris Chibnall and Elisabeth Moss directed by Jane Campion? I'm sure either would be great; Toksvig would have been fun, too.
    OK then. Given the thread title "sexy Dr Who" it's pretty clear that, for at least a subset of the Who-ites (Who-ists?) this is seen as a "sexy" casting a la "lets give the dads something to rub their hands up and down their thighs about".
    Whilst (of course) a feminist can be sexy it somewhat weakens the argument to a public used to seeing things in broad strokes and incapable of understanding nuance (seen the 700 pages of brexit arguments on here, for example) and risks being seen as a diluted compromise. The Spice Girls also claimed to be feminists.
    The casting of Dr Who has always, iirc, worked better with somewhat quirky and off-centre individuals, had, and here I have to confess I'm struggling for names, one of the male stars of "Love Island", "The Only Way is Essex" or whatever, been selected I would have been just as disappointed.
    My selection of Moss & Campion, admittedly somewhat of a random selection, was that in" Down by the Lake" they were able to develop a mature, capable female lead whilst giving it a hell of a lot of "colour" through the characters back story (and great acting).

So between Moss in Top of the Lake/Handmaids Tale or Whittaker (or Olivia Colman) in Broadchurch who has got their kit off more often (in an expression of feminist empowerment of course). I think I would sooner my daughters got their inspiration from Whittaker's work rather than Moss's. But maybe I'm just a old fashioned patriarchal prude.