"On your right"

13»

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    essexian wrote:
    So yes, its a time section and of course some people want to try and "win" but if you want to race, get a licence, pin on a race number and go race. Do not enter a mixed ability ride with other people who are not as capable as you; not as experienced as you and who are out simply as a way of testing themselves....that's the whole idea of Sportives: a test of your own ability against yourself! If you want to test yourself against other, as I have said: GO RACE!

I have a lot of sympathy with this view. It's the cycling equivalent of people turning up to track days and thinking that they are racing. The truth is that track days are nothing like races. Not even close.

People rock up to sportives with a massive range of skill, capability, experience and equipment. It's an entirely different environment from a race. And, sure, there might be timing and timed stages but it's for fun.

And just like the sad people who turn up to a track day and think they are "racing", those that turn up to a sportive and think they are racing are just as sad. MTFU and race.

ETA - and if you need to take KoM with the help of your club mates towing you, then it's a pretty hollow achievement.

I'm kind of with you and kind of not. I did motorcycle trackways and yes, while the novice and inters groups were a slalom session with riders placing themselves all over the track including the racing line, you easily got around it by doing the fast group sessions with the BSB and Supersport riders who weren't supposed to be there. Motorcycle racing is an expensive game and personally, I couldn't afford to do it either financially or due to family and work commitments. I had no problem being buzzed by Scott Smart (who got black flagged for it) and took great enjoyment picking bits up staying with Glen Richards, John Kirkham etc for a few corners.

Similarly with sportives. I don't have the talent, time or finances to race, so might of done the odd sportive. I've actually done one (FOITF) and was so bored by it, I haven't done one since, preferring to ride the roads for free. There were a few faster riders than me (I still came in in gold medal time) but I found them to be knowledgeable enough to know when and where was safe to pass. Likewise when I passed others, I gave them enough room so as not to unnerve them or force them into an error. There were club riders there and some amateur racers, but nobody seemed to cause anyone any problems despite those of us doing the 112 and 152 distances obviously going for our best times.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sorry, not understanding not 'having the finances to race' but can do sportives...??
    Depends where you live, granted, but under TLI regs, you can race cheap and very often for very small outlay.
    Over 40 you can race under LVRC regs - again cheap and cheerful... no BC bullshit.
    No closed roads... behave ... obey Highway Code... no pi ssin in hedges and you are fine.
    Most races now have Bike Marshalls... top lads on BIG bikes with engines and flashing lights.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    how do you think most KOMs are set in, groups with the wind behind you or solo with a gale behind you. Very few are set solo into the wind. That is one reason not to go chasing a KOM that has been set in a timed event you will have to take risks that you shouldn't. However as that is the way people behave you have the choice enter the event and accept that or dont enter and do something else.

Road racing under BC regs is quite good. I need to enter a few some of my favourites are coming up in october.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    how do you think most KOMs are set in, groups with the wind behind you or solo with a gale behind you. Very few are set solo into the wind. That is one reason not to go chasing a KOM that has been set in a timed event you will have to take risks that you shouldn't. However as that is the way people behave you have the choice enter the event and accept that or dont enter and do something else.

Road racing under BC regs is quite good. I need to enter a few some of my favourites are coming up in october.

No probs with BC of course....very FEW 3/4 road races of course.
    However, as a club WE get to keep monies paid in.. some compensation for the time and unpaid work we have to put into organising 4 evening road races every summer for those riders who fancy setting a Strava KOM in a lone break being chased by an irate bunch.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    How come they were behind slower riders? They must've been shite!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I wish I could jump of the front and stay out. If I could I would not care what strava said or how irate the bunch was. All my jumps of the front have ended in failure and me being of the back shortly after being caught except one where I finished 8th in the bunch.

There are even fewer LVRC road races than there are Cat 3/4 road race with BC. I wish there were more LVRC races.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Garry H wrote:
    They may have started later.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,718
    A fair point. I shall be spending a lot more time looking over my shoulder then I will be calling out on the right.
  • Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    Garry H wrote:

ugcGiPTVS4O_4molW80wKw.png
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A fair point. I shall be spending a lot more time looking over my shoulder then I will be calling out on the right.

Labour supporters will usually try to pass on the left, for obvious reasons...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    JGSI wrote:
    Sorry, not understanding not 'having the finances to race' but can do sportives...??
    Depends where you live, granted, but under TLI regs, you can race cheap and very often for very small outlay.
    Over 40 you can race under LVRC regs - again cheap and cheerful... no BC bullshit.
    No closed roads... behave ... obey Highway Code... no pi ssin in hedges and you are fine.
    Most races now have Bike Marshalls... top lads on BIG bikes with engines and flashing lights.

Travel requires finances last time I looked. Unless Shell are suddenly doing Nitro + for free.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Palladium wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Bizarre
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,259
    cld531c wrote:
    Palladium wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Bizarre

Halal sportive?
    left the forum March 2023
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Slowbike wrote:
    One issue I've come across is those not particularly good at climbing or wanting a fast time up a hill don't always sit in to one side (left preferably) - but fill out the whole road - thus blocking it for the faster riders - last years RL100 up Leith Hill was a good example of that - the whole road was chocka with people going just slightly different speeds to everyone else.

As a slow climber, my issue last year was the folk who got off and walked up Leith. Not because they were walking though (there but for the grace of god etc). No. It was their need to walk up 2 or 3 abreast talking to each other which meant that a slow bugger (me) had no choice but to creep onto the faster side of the road to avoid having to get off myself.
  • Imposter wrote:
    mac9091 wrote:

So you never go out on your bike and try to better your time on a segment/route?

I was referring to a race against yourself. Therefore still a race.

Racing yourself is generally called 'chasing a PB' or similar. Most 'actual' races take place either on closed circuits or within a race convoy, or on closed roads, where normal traffic regulations are temporarily suspended. This doesn't sound like one of those occasions. So no, not a race.

Just popping it out there. A race against yourself on a predetermined section of road is called a Time Trial....

As for money. Sportives and road racing are both quite expensive. I race a full road and CX season.

Sportives organised by local clubs are usually much cheaper. My club (SVCC) organise one that costs 8 quid. Even includes free cake. Whats more, you contribute to the local cycling community as the club put profits back into cycling. The big sportive companies do nothing but take.

Or just do a TT. Ride there, ride back and you've got the components of a 'competitive' sportive....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    A TT is a race of your time against others.
    It is simply a training run otherwise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.