TDF 2017:16th July - Stage 15 - Laissac-Sévérac l'Église - Le Puy-en-Velay 189.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    COWS!

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-16%20at%2014.16.27_zpspmkahnbk.png
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Tim Wellens abandons after refusing a TUE for his allergy. A bit easier if you're not in the gc fight.

Bit worried about McLay - he's off the back at the moment on his own again.

Wellens' is still showing in the live timing, although the speeds suggest that the bike is now on top of the team car.
  • above_the_cows
    [Bit worried about McLay - he's off the back at the moment on his own again.

Is he a threat to Rowe?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    [Bit worried about McLay - he's off the back at the moment on his own again.

Is he a threat to Rowe?

Off the top of my head, about four minutes in it. McLay currently virtual LR on the road - just a case of whether he can survive, as he's already 2km behind the peloton.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Tim Wellens abandons after refusing a TUE for his allergy. A bit easier if you're not in the gc fight.

I suppose it's a good sign that riders are refusing drugs that they are entitled to take but if it were me I'd be necking whatever helped that wasn't going to get me banned.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lanterne_Rogue

I suppose it's a good sign that riders are refusing drugs that they are entitled to take but if it were me I'd be necking whatever helped that wasn't going to get me banned.

If riders are damaging their health by refusing treatment because of a witchhunt, I don't think it's a good thing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm confused. We've been told by 'experts' for the best part of a year that corticosteroids are not an appropriate treatment for allergies. Why would they offer them to Wellens?

(Yes, sarcasm)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Incidentally, Wellens is still showing in the timing screens as alongside McLay. Can't believe that a random team car would be sitting with McLay, so wonder if the news of his demise was premature?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Incidentally, Wellens is still showing in the timing screens as alongside McLay. Can't believe that a random team car would be sitting with McLay, so wonder if the news of his demise was premature?

Or it's on the broom wagon, of course. Ignore me.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    It's a bit breezy on the Massif plateau.

large.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    One for the cow fans Take a look at @willfoth's Tweet: https://twitter.com/willfoth/status/886 ... 22593?s=09
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    Imagine trying to explain to an alien the TdF and all its attendant madness...

Human: "And then you get strange race side living artworks made from combinations of farm machinery, small children and assorted animals in the desperate hope that the helicams pick them up for 20 seconds of fame."

Alien: "What does it mean?"

Human: "What do you mean by mean?"

Alien: "Are you deflecting?"

Human: "No, ummm, yes, you're right I've got nothing."

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-16%20at%2015.16.33_zpsxycjkqbb.png
  • above_the_cows
    One for the cow fans Take a look at @willfoth's Tweet: https://twitter.com/willfoth/status/886 ... 22593?s=09

Excellent!
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245

Human: "And then you get strange race side living artworks made from combinations of farm machinery, small children and assorted animals in the desperate hope that the helicams pick them up for 20 seconds of fame."

After the best part of 30 odd years viewing I have only just discovered that the farming displays are a national competition, with an annual theme (clocks this year). I'd always thought it was just farming willy waving ("our cows are betterer than your cows")
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    I know it's totally inappropriate but that Jerusalem advert....

Every time I'm :shock: :shock:
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Any French speakers (better than me) care to translate this from FDJ's Yvon Madiot

« C’est pas toujours le plus fort qui gagne, c’est une question d’envie, de se surpasser, et il en est capable. »

"It is not always the strongest who win, it is a question of jealousy, to overcome, and he is capable. "
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Any sightings of Kittel today?
  • above_the_cows

After the best part of 30 odd years viewing I have only just discovered that the farming displays are a national competition, with an annual theme (clocks this year). I'd always thought it was just farming willy waving ("our cows are betterer than your cows")

Is it really? I never knew. OK its easier to explain it to the aliens now. And it certainly explains the clocks theme this year.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537

Awesome isn't it
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    imatfaal wrote:
    Any French speakers (better than me) care to translate this from FDJ's Yvon Madiot

« C’est pas toujours le plus fort qui gagne, c’est une question d’envie, de se surpasser, et il en est capable. »

"It is not always the strongest who win, it is a question of jealousy, to overcome, and he is capable. "

Desire/want rather than jealousy.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • I know it's totally inappropriate but that Jerusalem advert....

Awesome isn't it

https://www.instagram.com/shirelmaliach/?hl=en
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • imatfaal
    The_Boy wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Desire/want rather than jealousy.

Ah- that makes sense. I was thinking perhaps jealousy in terms of rivalry but was pretty unsure that was right
  • above_the_cows
    Turbo Tony, digging deep into his suitcase of courage and putting the hammer down.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    The speed Martin opened that gap was incredible. I'd love him to hold on and get one of the epic wins of recent times.
  • above_the_cows
    Luke Rowe is having a monster ride today.
  • Pross

Awesome isn't it

Makes me want to visit but then I know it will be a let down.
  • Pross

He's throwing away the lanterne, tactically inept. I'm not happy!
  • above_the_cows
    This one is a good one.

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-16%20at%2016.31.01_zps7cxkh4zf.png

And the commentators did finally explain the competition.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Pross wrote:

He's throwing away the lanterne, tactically inept. I'm not happy!

I presume he thinks McLay will suffer a hoarse delay in the mountains, so perfectly sensible. No point suffering alone off the back if you don't need to.
  • imatfaal
    This one is a good one.

And the commentators did finally explain the competition.

ITV managed to miss the sheep going through with an adbreak. But they explained the clock theme on the first or second day of the tour.

Caruso at virtual ninth - he is not gonna necessarily lose time in the high mountains which follow in the race (if team allows). Surprised UAE not helping Sky