TDF 2017:16th July - Stage 15 - Laissac-Sévérac l'Église - Le Puy-en-Velay 189.5kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Start 13h10 (late finish 18-00cet approx)

To GC or not GC.
Stage 15 of the Tour de France is played out on a hilly route in Massif Central. At 189.5 kilometres, the riders race from Laissac-Sévérac l'Église to Le-Puy-en-Velay. A good day for attackers.

After leaving Laissac Sévérac l’Église the riders head for the Massif Central. After some 20 kilometres the Montée de Naves d’Aubrac looms, an 8.9 kilometres climb at 6.4%, before an 8 kilometrs section on a plateau travels to the modest Côte de Vieurals, which is 3.3 kilometres at 5.9%.

After almost 100 kilometres on rolling roads the finale is ushered in by a drop. For starters a flat section of about 10 kilometres and then the riders hit the toughest climb of the day. The Col de Peyra Taillade is an 8.3 kilometres ascent at 7.4%. The first 4 kilometres are doable with an average gradient of 6%. But then the ramps go of up to 14% before the climb flattens out in the last kilometres.

The pass lies at an elevation of 1,190 metres and after cresting the route travels steadily down, with two minor hick-ups – Côte de Saint-Vidal and a small uphill section in Polignac. That last hill is on the menu with 5 kilometres to go, while Saint-Vidal is a KOM climb of 1.9 kilometres at 6.8%.

Today it’s the fourth time the Tour de France arrives in Le Puy-en-Velay. The victor will step in the shoes of Giuseppe Guerini (2005), Pascal Richard (1996) and Dominique Forlini (1954).

Map:-
CARTE.jpg

Profile:-
PROFIL.png

KoM:-

Km 28.5 - Montée de Naves d'Aubrac (1 058 m)8.9 kilometre-long climb at 6.4% - category 1

Km 43.5 - Côte de Vieurals3.3 kilometre-long climb at 5.9% - category 3

Km 158.0 - Col de Peyra Taillade (1 190 m)8.3 kilometre-long climb at 7.4% - category 1

Km 176.5 - Côte de Saint-Vidal1.9 kilometre-long climb at 6.8% - category 4

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Last Kms:-
PROFILKMS.png

Laissac-Sévérac l'église

Well before welcoming the Tour de France, the village of Laissac earned its notoriety as a famous mountain-bike site. The event already had a link with the Tour de France thanks to Jean-Christophe Péraud. Before climbing on the podium of the 2014 edition, the Frenchman had indeed climbed on the one of the Roc Laissagais. He's even the undisputed master of the event with five victories there. Last June, it was also in Laissac that the marathon mountain-bike World Championships were held.

201706021_Etape15.jpg

Le Puy-en-Velay

People go on a pilgrimage to Le Puy-en-Velay since the Middle-Age, but it wasn't before 1954 that the coloured ribbon formed by the peloton of the Tour came for the first time. At the footstep of the Notre-Dame de France statue, dominating the city, Dominique Forlini had triumphed after a long breakaway. The last stage finish in the Préfecture of Haute-Loire was back in 2005. Among the four escapees inspired by the day's stage, Italian Giuseppe Guerini proved to be the smartest. He maneuvered in the final kilometres with the finesse of the renowned lacemakers of the city.

le-puy-en-velay1.jpg

Le_Puy-en-Velay%2C_%C3%89glise_Saint-Laurent_et_Aiguilhe_PM_48569.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Looking forward to this - not least because I've promised my daughter a run out, with cake stop, on her new bike and she's super excited about it because of watching the tour highlights with me. I'm trying to work the timings so we get back just in time for it to start.

Can't see much happening in the GC unless somebody gets dropped, at which point it might kick off.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Landa to have a crack on the last climb, just to see what happens.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Wow those photos are amazing!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I love the Massif Central, the Tour should make more of it. Stunning scenery and those sorts of roads you can never predict whether there'll be a break or a GC battle.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Having spent last week at Chambon sur Lac I'd agree with Pross. Some decent climbs of the 6-8 km variety and some stunning scenery.

Breakaway day today I think.
  • blazing_saddles
    Me too, La Puy was my local supply town.
    The roads remind me a bit of mid Wales: heavy, constantly going up or down and rarely a straight.
    It's also going to be hot. That bit doesn't remind me of Mid Wales. :P
  • blazing_saddles
    A bit of a rumour going around last night that Kittel is sick.
    Close up of him at the finish yesterday and he didn't look great.

Sunweb to drill on the first big climb?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Only problem is whether Matthews could cope with that one being ridden hard, they'd have to balance it between hard enough to shed Kittel and not to hard for Matthews. They presumably wouldn't want to drop too many either as they'll want Kittel fairly isolated. QS can't sacrifice too many to help him with Martin doing so well.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Just one more day for Aru to hang on before he can do his post rest day week three recovery.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Only problem is whether Matthews could cope with that one being ridden hard, they'd have to balance it between hard enough to shed Kittel and not to hard for Matthews. They presumably wouldn't want to drop too many either as they'll want Kittel fairly isolated. QS can't sacrifice too many to help him with Martin doing so well.
    Matthews is a better than average climber. The best part of a hundred riders will get dropped before him.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    He's been climbing really well this Tour.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    After I missed yesterday's shenanigans have some cows from Aubrac. (I think they are supporting Landa).

estive-aubrac-saint-geniez-aveyron-france-2012-p3-1861.jpg?w=774

And the customary lovely horse, this one is a Przewalski's Horse, originally from Central Asia they are known to roam semi-wild in the Massif Central.

Przewalskis_horse_02.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    About time we had a cow picture in this thread. There will be plenty to see on the stage, I'm sure.
    Aubrac seems to be the cow capital of the Massif.
    Some scenic cows.
    massif_central_cycling-19.jpg

A lovely day, innit?

etape_15.gif
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Just seen footage of Dan Martin getting off his bike after 14th July stage - his face was contorted in pain just trying to straighten his back. Damn these guys are so so tough
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    imatfaal wrote:
    Just seen footage of Dan Martin getting off his bike after 14th July stage - his face was contorted in pain just trying to straighten his back. Damn these guys are so so tough

Next doctor, isn't he?

DE2ZBiGXYAEmVE6.jpgDE2ZHiSWAAUSTcP.jpg
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    imatfaal wrote:
    constipation apparently
  • RichN95.
    DE2ZBiGXYAEmVE6.jpg
    I thought ITV4 were showing a repeat of Steptoe and Son.
  • above_the_cows
    About time we had a cow picture in this thread.

Ha ha snap again!
  • above_the_cows
    Ooo Tony Martin has made the first attempt at a break, with Barguil and others.
  • blazing_saddles

Ha ha snap again!

Unfortunately, no, I saw yours and was commenting. Put the other up for a bit of variety.
    Aubrac, cow capital was because I was going to post this....

transhumance-vaches-aubrac-aveyron-p3-1937.jpg?w=774

Of course the original break missed by the fact the race started early.
    Back together now.

Some really small roads at the start and towards the end of this stage.
    Anything, or nothing could happen.
  • above_the_cows

Ha ha snap again!

Unfortunately, no, I saw yours and was commenting. Put the other up for a bit of variety.
    Aubrac, cow capital was because I was going to post this....

transhumance-vaches-aubrac-aveyron-p3-1937.jpg?w=774

Of course the original break missed by the fact the race started early.
    Back together now.

Some really small roads at the start and towards the end of this stage.
    Anything, or nothing could happen.

I need to visit this town...

vaches-transhumance-1.jpg

7_5_153435.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    I'm quite sure that Contador is going to try to bridge on the climb.
  • No stage number in the thread title, grrrrrrrr
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    No stage number in the thread title, grrrrrrrr

This is the worst attempt at manufacturing a TdF "controversy" I've seen.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    DE12FgyXcAA5qMP.jpg

ammattipyöräily‏ @ammattipyoraily · 4h4 hours ago
    Old school stage profile in ARD Teletext!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    This is savage. The peloton isn't much bigger than the groups up the road.
  • blazing_saddles
    No stage number in the thread title, grrrrrrrr

So sorry.
    Would you like to take over?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    This is savage. The peloton isn't much bigger than the groups up the road.

Constant heavy pressure on the pedals - seems to be no time to rest.

Tim Wellens withdrawn from race
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Tim Wellens abandons after refusing a TUE for his allergy. A bit easier if you're not in the gc fight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Cows claxon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format